Message from the President
VRPS 2021: RE-Set…RE-Build!
Hello VRPS Members & Leaders,
Summer is here and it’s the season when parks and recreation shines the brightest…welcome all new members, joining the Society for the first time! Busy it may be, with 100’s of summer camps and countless visits to our pools, beaches, and parks and recreation centers, however the benefits to our communities outweigh it all. July is approaching and is national Parks & Recreation month (#OurParkAndRecStory). What are you doing to highlight the great service to your community and the great staff that make it happen? All of you…staff, volunteers, partners, sponsors and families across our beautiful state of Virginia are “Our Park and Rec Story.” In case you didn’t know, the National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA) has declared Friday, July 16 Park and Recreation Professional Day, “a day to honor all the dedicated professionals who work tirelessly behind the scenes to provide the high-quality programs and infrastructure we desire and expect in our parks and public spaces.” CELEBRATE your team and share your “Park and Rec Story” through pictures and social media posts with us on Facebook (VRPS: Virginia Recreation & Parks Society)!
Top President’s Picks:
· The discounted EARLY BIRD registration deadline is soon approaching on June 30 for the in-person VRPS Annual Conference 2021
in Harrisonburg, VA, October 24-26! Register
Early and Save! Choose the special “Bill Me” option, which allows you to reserve your registration at the discounted price and pay later if your department’s funding isn’t available until after June 30.
· The REAL Talk Summer Series: there are still educational sessions left and time to Register
. This new training will ignite conversations about P&R hot topics and trends and further educate and engage you with other parks & recreation professionals. ($25/webinar or $99 for the bundle)
Remaining REAL Talk Webinars:
- July 13: Marketing for Seasonal Recruitment…Snapchat, Instagram and more!
- August 10: TR, Inclusion, ADA Oh My!…What You Need to Know!
- September 14: The Trans Community Enjoys Recreation Too: Gender Equity & Inclusion in the Workplace
· Organizational Updates:
- Proposed VRPS Board Structure Changes: Due to a recent Board vacancy and the approaching departure of the current VRPS Executive Director, the Board is recommending to streamline our current board structure in alignment with industry standards for parks and recreation associations. Currently there is an 11-member Board inclusive of nine state-wide members, one lay member and the VRPS Executive Director as a voting member. The new structure would reduce the Board size to nine total members inclusive of eight at-large Board members and one lay member; the new Executive Director would attend meetings, but not be a voting member. A smaller Board size will result in greater efficiency and decision-making on the behalf of VRPS members. This recommendation will require changes to the VRPS Board bylaws, which will proposed at the next Board meeting on July 15.
Stay connected and in the KNOW through E-updates, Facebook (“LIKE” our page: VRPS: Virginia Recreation & Parks Society) and the website
2021 VRPS President