Message from the President
VRPS 2021: RE-Set…RE-Build!
Hello VRPS Members & Leaders,
Spring has Sprung…welcome all new members, joining the Society for the first time! In bloom this season is a NEW training opportunity to further engage and educate our members…the REAL Talk Summer Series. This series will ignite conversations about P&R hot topics and trends. A total of five sessions will presented May-September, facilitating REAL Talk about each topic. I am excited to open this opportunity to all parks & recreation professionals for $25/webinar (CEUs available for purchase) or Bundle Package for $99 (CEUs included in this price). Registration will open by April 30. I hope that you all will spread the word and support this new initiative!
REAL Talk Hot Topics and TRENDS include:
· May 18: Climate Adaptation: Responsible Stormwater Management & Athletic Field Management
· June 8: The Many Faces of Diversity
· July 13: Marketing for Seasonal Recruitment…Snapchat, Instagram and more
· August 10: TR, Inclusion, ADA Oh My!…What You Need to Know!
· September 14: The Trans Community Enjoys Recreation Too: Gender Equity & Inclusion in the Workplace
Top President’s Picks:
· The Annual Conference 2021
registration is now OPEN with plans for an in-person conference October 24-26! Conference planning is underway with a talented group of professionals. For the first time in VRPS history, the conference will be in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley, Harrisonburg, VA. We want to see you there…Register
and reserve your hotel today!
· Tell Our Story: The E-updates and the VRPS Magazine are vehicles to further “tell our story.” Submit an article for the summer magazine by May 5 to Amy-Jo Hendrix, AHendrix@viennava.gov
. You can even submit an article and get CEU credit for article submission.
· Leadership Updates:
Congratulations to Debbie Woodbury, MPA, CPRP, CPM, Regional Program Director of City of Alexandria, Recreation, Parks and Cultural Activities on her new appointment to the Professional Education/Certification Committee. Debbie fills a vacant committee position due the resignation and transition of committee member Shannon Moore, Recreation Supervisor of Virginia Beach Parks & Recreation.