VRPS E-Update: Vol 17 No 20
A Message from the President
To our VRPS Members:
Just a few notes to update everyone with where we are with a few of our projects:
- We are working on creating a new training opportunity for October to take the place of the conference. Past President Katey Legg has agreed to chair a team to develop that training.
- Awards and Citations will continue, we will minimally have a virtual ceremony in October.
- Staff is developing a Director’s Forum this month which will be sponsored by Bliss Products and Services – more details to come.
- The Athletic Field Maintenance Training that was postponed in March will be offered to those that have signed up in a virtual format and is in development.
Thank you and please stay safe!
Dan Smith, CPRP
Virginia Parks and Recreation Society
Special Events & Marketing Resource Group (SEMRG)
Stay connected with us!
We want to hear from you…
For those interested in SEMRG, please take one minute to complete a survey regarding a potential Virtual Roundtable & Quarterly Meeting. Click here <https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/WWBDKVM>
to complete the survey now!
COVID-19 Parks and Recreation Services Tracker
As parks and recreation professionals, many of us are making the difficult staffing impacts and decisions of what services and amenitites we can continue to provide to the public. The Park Operations Resource Group has created a central spreadsheet to track the service impacts to various communities. A link to the spreadsheet can be found on the Park Operations Resource Group webpage
. The spreadsheet relies on input provided by everyone, so if you use it for information, please add yours for others to use.
For questions or technical issues, please contact Alister Perkinson at 757-207-0002.
|2020 VRPS Awards Application Open
Recognizing Excellence in 2019
Don’t forget submissions are now open to nominate the people, projects and moments from 2019 that enhanced your community, your agency and the Parks and Recreation field. Your Awards and Citations committee is here to help answer any questions that you might have with your submissions so please contact your Service Area Awards Representative or Awards Chair. We look forward to seeing all of the great work from 2019!
- Nominees must be VRPS members at the time of award application submission as well as the Awards Ceremony on Monday, October 5, 2020.
- Nominations are $35 each through 5/31/2020.
- Nominations are $45 each June 1-30, 2020.
- The application deadline is June 30, 2020.
- 2020 VRPS Annual Conference webpage
- 2020 Awards Application page
A Message from NRPA
Please find the certification extensions that have been approved by the National Certification Board below.
We will also be granting extensions to individuals who have registered for the Computer-based examinations.
CPRP – Anyone who has an expiration date of 5/29/2020 or earlier will be provided a 90 day extension.
CPSI – Anyone that had a current exam period as of 3/23/2020 has been provided a 90 day extension. Anyone purchasing the CPSI Computer-based examination through 5/29/2020 will have 180 days to complete the examination.
Message to Certified Park and Recreation Executives expiring on 9/1/2020
Due to the current challenging circumstances, NRPA and the National Certification Board will extend Certified Park and Recreation Executive (CPRE) certification expiration date by six months upon request, from 9/1/2020, to 3/1/2021. Certified professionals who request an extension will maintain a new certification cycle beginning and ending in March. If you would like to extend your expiration date, please contact NRPA Certification Manager Molly Sullivan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Message to Certified Park and Recreation Professionals expiring on 9/1/2020
Due to the current challenging circumstances, NRPA and the National Certification Board will extend your Certified Park and Recreation Professional (CPRP) certification expiration date by six months upon request, from 9/1/2020, to 3/1/2021. Certified professionals who request an extension will maintain a new certification cycle beginning and ending in March. If you would like to extend your expiration date, please contact NRPA Certification Manager Molly Sullivan at email@example.com.Message to Aquatic Facility Operators expiring on 6/30/2020
Due to the current challenging circumstances, NRPA and the National Certification Board will extend your Aquatic Facility Operator (AFO) certification expiration date by six months upon request, from 6/30/2020, to 12/31/2020. Certified professionals who request an extension will maintain a new certification cycle beginning and ending in December. If you would like to extend your expiration date, please contact NRPA Aquatics Program Manager Elizabeth Gonzales at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Message to Certified Playground Safety Inspectors expiring between 4/1/2020 and 7/1/2020
Due to the current challenging circumstances, NRPA and the National Certification Board is extending all Certified Playground Safety Inspector (CPSI) certification expiration dates between 4/1/2020 and 7/1/2020 by 90 days.
Julie Boland CPRE
VP of Membership and Certification
National Recreation and Park Association
2021 VRPS Management Conference
Registration is open for 2021 Management Conference.
Publication Online Archives and Submission Deadlines
Submit your content for the
- June VRPS Parks & Recreation magazine to magazine editor Amy-Jo Hendrix by May 15.
To view previous VRPS publications, follow the links below – you must login to the website and be recognized as a VRPS member to see the archives:
Please take note of the following deadlines in regards to submitting content for the VRPS publications:
Health and Wellness Interest Group
Are you interested in joining a Health & Wellness interest group? This group would look to provide educational and networking opportunities for Parks and Recreation professionals who are responsible for health and wellness classes and services, as well as those who desire to improve the health and wellness of their community members through the addition of new programs. This group would be great for facility managers, programmers, fitness directors, and other parks and recreation professionals who are seeking leadership positions and would like to broaden their knowledge through cross-training. If this interests you, please email Julie Frederickson at Julie.email@example.com.
Young Professionals Community
Network Focus: The Young Professional Community (YPC) is designed to inspire and engage members of the recreation profession under the age of 35 (of course all ages are welcome to be involved) to become active members of Virginia Recreation and Parks Society, grow and maintain their professional network, share ideas along with asking questions to the group, and discover the benefits of professional development.
For more information about the YPC, please join the group on Facebook at VRPS Young Professional Community group. If you have any questions or have additional information to share, contact Roberto Ramos at firstname.lastname@example.org
NEW: Playground Maintenance Instruction Course
PROTECT CHILDREN FROM PLAYGROUND HAZARDS
The National Recreation and Park Association’s Playground Maintenance Course will provide an understanding of the most prevalent playground hazards and safe maintenance and repair practices. This one-day course (0.6 CEUs) will train on playground safety standards, playground owner responsibilities and will include maintenance and repair discussions on playground equipment, surfacing and site items
- According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, over 240,000 children are injured each year on playgrounds.
- Poor maintenance is one of the leading causes of injuries on playgrounds.
Who Should Attend?
- Maintenance Staff
- Recreation Staff
- University Seniors
- Anyone Responsible for Playgrounds
Blacksburg, Tuesday, September 15, 2020
Certified Playground Safety Inspector Course
CPSI certifications are valid for 3 years; is it time to renew?
- protect children from injury due to playground hazards,
- protect your business or agency from costly liabilities,
- open the door to more opportunities for career advancement,
- increase your job mobility and choices even in the face of a tough job market,
- reach not only your short-term job goals, but also position yourself for success in your long-term career, and
- be associated with NRPA‘s strong and long-standing reputation in playground safety
Blacksburg, September 16-18, 2020
- Organizations: post a job – $50 fee (free to VRPS organization members)
- Individuals: search for openings