Your VRPS Membership affords you this member-only publication. Thanks for your support!
VRPS E-Update: Vol 17 No 17
A Message from the President
To all VRPS members,
Starting April 20, 2020, the VRPS office will be closed for each Monday until June 1st, 2020. The staff will be taking vacation time during that period in an effort to reduce liability for the Society. Offices will be open Tuesdays through Fridays each week during that period.
Also, please disregard the April 17, 2020 deadline for Nominations and Elections. Given the current situation concerning the pandemic, at the April 16, 2020, Board of Directors Meeting, the Board made the unanimous decision to suspend statewide elections until further notice. This will enable those struggling with the process to focus on duties that take precedent in their lives now, care of their family and work. All officers for the Board, Resource Groups, and Service Areas will continue in their roles until nominations and elections resume. If you have questions about the decision, please let me know. We will be in will contact you when it is time to proceed.
Dan Smith, CPRP
2020 VRPS President
NRPA Virginia Room Block
The NRP room block opening is scheduled for May 11, 2020 12PM EST; once NRPA announces opening, you can go to their site and access the housing/registration page.
Virginia rooms will be held until end of business July 24, 2020.
Hotel: Doubletree by Hilton SeaWorld
State Login: NRPA20
Please note: the hotel requires registration prior to being able to make your hotel reservation. You will have a second set of login’s that require a record ID and last name to continue. After registration you will be provided this information.
STEP ONE: REGISTRATION
Registration will open Monday, May 11 @ 12PM EST. Please visit: https://www.nrpa.org/and register for the conference then. Do not proceed to the hotel from here.
STEP TWO: CONFIRMATION
Confirmation of your registration will be sent to you from MCI, USA, formerly Wyndham Jade. You will find your record ID in the second paragraph, first sentence. This ID will be required with your last name to access the hotel.
STEP THREE: HOUSING
Go to https://mcisemi.com/nrpa2020/, Once on the housing page you will need to select “State Housing Blocks” and follow the process for reserving your room. You will need your record ID from your registration confirmation and last name to continue; PLUS, your State Login and Password (listed above).
Brian Laws to Manage VRPS Facilities Operation Network
Brian Laws, with the Fairfax County Park Authority is starting a discussion network for those working in facilities operations. At this point it is an informal group of professionals that are tasked with planning to reopen recreation facilities once it is deemed safe and appropriate.
Brian has reached out to Directors across the state to encourage participation. Please contact Brian at email@example.com
for more information on this effort.
A Message from NRPA
Please find the certification extensions that have been approved by the National Certification Board below.
We will also be granting extensions to individuals who have registered for the Computer-based examinations.
CPRP – Anyone who has an expiration date of 5/29/2020 or earlier will be provided a 90 day extension.
CPSI – Anyone that had a current exam period as of 3/23/2020 has been provided a 90 day extension. Anyone purchasing the CPSI Computer-based examination through 5/29/2020 will have 180 days to complete the examination.
Message to Certified Park and Recreation Executives expiring on 9/1/2020
Due to the current challenging circumstances, NRPA and the National Certification Board will extend Certified Park and Recreation Executive (CPRE) certification expiration date by six months upon request, from 9/1/2020, to 3/1/2021. Certified professionals who request an extension will maintain a new certification cycle beginning and ending in March. If you would like to extend your expiration date, please contact NRPA Certification Manager Molly Sullivan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Message to Certified Park and Recreation Professionals expiring on 9/1/2020
Due to the current challenging circumstances, NRPA and the National Certification Board will extend your Certified Park and Recreation Professional (CPRP) certification expiration date by six months upon request, from 9/1/2020, to 3/1/2021. Certified professionals who request an extension will maintain a new certification cycle beginning and ending in March. If you would like to extend your expiration date, please contact NRPA Certification Manager Molly Sullivan at email@example.com.
Message to Aquatic Facility Operators expiring on 6/30/2020
Due to the current challenging circumstances, NRPA and the National Certification Board will extend your Aquatic Facility Operator (AFO) certification expiration date by six months upon request, from 6/30/2020, to 12/31/2020. Certified professionals who request an extension will maintain a new certification cycle beginning and ending in December. If you would like to extend your expiration date, please contact NRPA Aquatics Program Manager Elizabeth Gonzales at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Message to Certified Playground Safety Inspectors expiring between 4/1/2020 and 7/1/2020
Due to the current challenging circumstances, NRPA and the National Certification Board is extending all Certified Playground Safety Inspector (CPSI) certification expiration dates between 4/1/2020 and 7/1/2020 by 90 days.
Julie Boland CPRE
VP of Membership and Certification
National Recreation and Park Association
COVID-19 Parks and Recreation Services Tracker
As parks and recreation professionals, many of us are making the difficult staffing impacts and decisions of what services and amenitites we can continue to provide to the public. The Park Operations Resource Group has created a central spreadsheet to track the service impacts to various communities. A link to the spreadsheet can be found on the Park Operations Resource Group webpage
. The spreadsheet relies on input provided by everyone, so if you use it for information, please add yours for others to use.
For questions or technical issues, please contact Alister Perkinson at 757-207-0002.
|2020 VRPS Awards Application Open
Recognizing Excellence in 2019
Don’t forget submissions are now open to nominate the people, projects and moments from 2019 that enhanced your community, your agency and the Parks and Recreation field. Your Awards and Citations committee is here to help answer any questions that you might have with your submissions so please contact your Service Area Awards Representative or Awards Chair. We look forward to seeing all of the great work from 2019!
- Nominees must be VRPS members at the time of award application submission as well as the Awards Ceremony on Monday, October 5, 2020.
- Nominations are $35 each through 5/31/2020.
- Nominations are $45 each June 1-30, 2020.
- The application deadline is June 30, 2020.
- 2020 VRPS Annual Conference webpage
- 2020 Awards Application page
Publication Online Archives and Submission Deadlines
Submit your content for the
- June VRPS Parks & Recreation magazine to magazine editor Amy-Jo Hendrix by May 15.
To view previous VRPS publications, follow the links below – you must login to the website and be recognized as a VRPS member to see the archives:
Please take note of the following deadlines in regards to submitting content for the VRPS publications:
Health and Wellness Interest Group
Are you interested in joining a Health & Wellness interest group? This group would look to provide educational and networking opportunities for Parks and Recreation professionals who are responsible for health and wellness classes and services, as well as those who desire to improve the health and wellness of their community members through the addition of new programs. This group would be great for facility managers, programmers, fitness directors, and other parks and recreation professionals who are seeking leadership positions and would like to broaden their knowledge through cross-training. If this interests you, please email Julie Frederickson at Julie.email@example.com.
Young Professionals Community
Network Focus: The Young Professional Community (YPC) is designed to inspire and engage members of the recreation profession under the age of 35 (of course all ages are welcome to be involved) to become active members of Virginia Recreation and Parks Society, grow and maintain their professional network, share ideas along with asking questions to the group, and discover the benefits of professional development.
For more information about the YPC, please join the group on Facebook at VRPS Young Professional Community group. If you have any questions or have additional information to share, contact Roberto Ramos at firstname.lastname@example.org
NEW: Playground Maintenance Instruction Course
PROTECT CHILDREN FROM PLAYGROUND HAZARDS
The National Recreation and Park Association’s Playground Maintenance Course will provide an understanding of the most prevalent playground hazards and safe maintenance and repair practices. This one-day course (0.6 CEUs) will train on playground safety standards, playground owner responsibilities and will include maintenance and repair discussions on playground equipment, surfacing and site items
- According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, over 240,000 children are injured each year on playgrounds.
- Poor maintenance is one of the leading causes of injuries on playgrounds.
Who Should Attend?
- Maintenance Staff
- Recreation Staff
- University Seniors
- Anyone Responsible for Playgrounds
Blacksburg, Tuesday, September 15, 2020
Certified Playground Safety Inspector Course
CPSI certifications are valid for 3 years; is it time to renew?
- protect children from injury due to playground hazards,
- protect your business or agency from costly liabilities,
- open the door to more opportunities for career advancement,
- increase your job mobility and choices even in the face of a tough job market,
- reach not only your short-term job goals, but also position yourself for success in your long-term career, and
- be associated with NRPA‘s strong and long-standing reputation in playground safety
Blacksburg, September 16-18, 2020
2020 VRPS/Kings Dominion Discount Tickets!
VRPS will be offering $38 discount tickets good any park operating day for the 2020 Kings Dominion season (gate price is $72).
Tickets may be purchased by consignment or online. The differences between consignment and online tickets are:
- Consignment tickets require a “Member Ticket Program Authorization Form” to be submitted to VRPS.
- Consignment ticket agencies must be VRPS organization members throughout the ticket season.
- Consignment tickets must be ordered from VRPS Central Office and picked up or shipped for a fee.
- Consignment ticket agencies make payment on the tickets they sell to VRPS monthly and return unsold tickets to Central Office by deadline dates.
- Online tickets are purchased via credit card payment through a VRPS/Kings Dominion portal.
- There is a processing fee for each online ticket order.
- Online tickets may not be returned or refunded.
2020 Annual Conference Exhibit Hall Registration
Norfolk Marriott Waterside
Exhibit Hall Hours:
- Sunday, October 4, 4-6pm
- Monday, October 5, 11am-1pm
Other promotions available:
- Conference App Ad
- Exhibit Hall Aisle Signage
- Exhibit Hall Center Stage
- Registration Packet Stuffer
- Tabletop Brochure Placement
2020 Annual Conference Delegate Registration
Register by 5/31/2020 and save.
FULL registration includes:
- All educational sessions Sunday – Tuesday
- Saturday Welcome Social
- Sunday Social
- Sunday Exhibit Evening Reception
- Monday Exhibit Hall Luncheon
- Monday Awards Banquet Dinner
- Monday Social
SUNDAY registration includes:
- All educational sessions
- Opening Session/Keynote Speaker
- Exhibit Hall Evening Reception
MONDAY registration includes:
- All educational sessions
- Exhibit Hall Luncheon
TUESDAY registration includes:
STUDENT registration includes:
- All educational sessions
- Monday Exhibit Hall Luncheon
- Does NOT include Socials or Banquet
Registration does NOT INCLUDE CEUs which are available for additional pre-purchase.
Don’t forget, if you chose “Bill Me”, PAYMENT MUST BE RECEIVED BEFORE YOUR ARRIVAL.
VRPS Certification Board Submission Process
Want to offer CEUs at your next workshop, conference, or function? The VRPS Certification Board has redesigned the CEU Session Approval form required for request submittals. The new form is simplified and offers both instructions and samples.
As a reminder, CEU requests are submitted online:
- Individual Session Approval
- CEU Session Approval for Workshop/Function
- Continued Professional Development Board Organization Application
- Fill out the necessary CEU forms – available on both the website and via the online system.
- Click on the CEU Submission link.
- Enter your pertinent data and load your CEU form.
- Pay online.
VRPS Certification Board webpage
CEU Submission System
2021 VRPS Management Conference
Registration is open for 2021 Management Conference.
Keep Your VRPS Account Paid and Up to Date
- Login to www.vrps.com.
- Select “My Transactions”.
- Select “Pay Open Orders”.
Update your personal profile by selecting “My Information”.
- Have you recently earned your CPSI, CTRS, CPRP or other certification?
- Has your title, designation, email address, or name changed?
- Do you want to receive correspondence regarding Senior, Aquatics, Special Events, or Park Operation Resource Groups?
Your member record is available in the membership directory, and it is also used to “stuff your envelope” at member functions – badges, ribbons, and correspondence.
2020 VSG Registration is Open
- Competition Dates: TBD
- Registration deadline is May 15, 2020.
- No refunds.
- Visit www.virginiaseniorgames.org for more information.
- Registration is online:
Agencies may request Registration Books for their facilities by contacting email@example.com
- Organizations: post a job – $50 fee (free to VRPS organization members)
- Individuals: search for openings