Your VRPS Membership affords you this member-only publication. Thanks for your support!
VRPS E-Update: Vol 17 No 15
to see what’s taking place on the Leglislative front.
Your 2020 VRPS Legislative Committee Leaders are:
A Message from NRPA
Please find the certification extensions that have been approved by the National Certification Board below.
We will also be granting extensions to individuals who have registered for the Computer-based examinations.
CPRP – Anyone who has an expiration date of 5/29/2020 or earlier will be provided a 90 day extension.
CPSI – Anyone that had a current exam period as of 3/23/2020 has been provided a 90 day extension. Anyone purchasing the CPSI Computer-based examination through 5/29/2020 will have 180 days to complete the examination.
Message to Certified Park and Recreation Executives expiring on 9/1/2020
Due to the current challenging circumstances, NRPA and the National Certification Board will extend Certified Park and Recreation Executive (CPRE) certification expiration date by six months upon request, from 9/1/2020, to 3/1/2021. Certified professionals who request an extension will maintain a new certification cycle beginning and ending in March. If you would like to extend your expiration date, please contact NRPA Certification Manager Molly Sullivan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Message to Certified Park and Recreation Professionals expiring on 9/1/2020
Due to the current challenging circumstances, NRPA and the National Certification Board will extend your Certified Park and Recreation Professional (CPRP) certification expiration date by six months upon request, from 9/1/2020, to 3/1/2021. Certified professionals who request an extension will maintain a new certification cycle beginning and ending in March. If you would like to extend your expiration date, please contact NRPA Certification Manager Molly Sullivan at email@example.com.
Message to Aquatic Facility Operators expiring on 6/30/2020
Due to the current challenging circumstances, NRPA and the National Certification Board will extend your Aquatic Facility Operator (AFO) certification expiration date by six months upon request, from 6/30/2020, to 12/31/2020. Certified professionals who request an extension will maintain a new certification cycle beginning and ending in December. If you would like to extend your expiration date, please contact NRPA Aquatics Program Manager Elizabeth Gonzales at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Message to Certified Playground Safety Inspectors expiring between 4/1/2020 and 7/1/2020
Due to the current challenging circumstances, NRPA and the National Certification Board is extending all Certified Playground Safety Inspector (CPSI) certification expiration dates between 4/1/2020 and 7/1/2020 by 90 days.
Julie Boland CPRE
VP of Membership and Certification
National Recreation and Park Association
Important VRPS Leadership Opportunities Available
The Virginia Recreation and Park Society Nominations and Elections Committee is soliciting suggestions/nominations of individual members to be considered for the elections slate for three professional positions on the 2021-2023 Board of Directors. The committee is also encouraging individuals interested for the slate to submit their names and qualifications for consideration. These opportunities consist of a three-year commitment to serve on the VRPS Board of Directors.
It must be understood that just because someone is recommended or self-recommends does not automatically mean they will be chosen by the Nominations and Elections Committee to be on the ballot. It is also important for all prospective Board members to understand that their term is for three years and that they potentially could be nominated by another Board member and subsequently elected by the Board to serve as the VRPS President anytime during their three-year term.
All candidates who are recommended for consideration or individuals wishing to be considered for the slate are required to submit a resume listing their qualifications, and a brief narrative (no more than 100 words) summarizing what they can provide to the Board, specific goals they may have, their specific involvement in VRPS, and the vision they have for the future for the Society. The narratives submitted for consideration will be used on the ballot for the selected candidates. All of this information is required to be received at email@example.com
by April 17, 2020. To learn more about the duties and responsibilities of the Board of Directors, individuals are encouraged to review the Bylaws and/or Manual of Procedures on the Society’s website ( www.vrps.com
Criteria for Consideration for Nomination to the VRPS Board of Directors:
1. Available to fulfill the responsibilities and time commitment as a Board Member.
2. Knowledge of the history of the organization.
3. Sense of vision for the future of the Society
4. Past service to the Society and the profession.
5. Must be a current member of the Society who is eligible to vote.
Remember the deadline for submissions to be considered is April 17, 2020.
COVID-19 Parks and Recreation Services Tracker
As parks and recreation professionals, many of us are making the difficult staffing impacts and decisions of what services and amenitites we can continue to provide to the public. The Park Operations Resource Group has created a central spreadsheet to track the service impacts to various communities. A link to the spreadsheet can be found on the Park Operations Resource Group webpage
. The spreadsheet relies on input provided by everyone, so if you use it for information, please add yours for others to use.
For questions or technical issues, please contact Alister Perkinson at 757-207-0002.
2019 VRPS/Kings Dominion Discount Tickets!
VRPS will be offering $38 discount tickets good any park operating day for the 2020 Kings Dominion season (gate price is $72).
Tickets may be purchased by consignment or online. The differences between consignment and online tickets are:
- Consignment tickets require a “Member Ticket Program Authorization Form” to be submitted to VRPS.
- Consignment ticket agencies must be VRPS organization members throughout the ticket season.
- Consignment tickets must be ordered from VRPS Central Office and picked up or shipped for a fee.
- Consignment ticket agencies make payment on the tickets they sell to VRPS monthly and return unsold tickets to Central Office by deadline dates.
- Online tickets are purchased via credit card payment through a VRPS/Kings Dominion portal.
- There is a processing fee for each online ticket order.
- Online tickets may not be returned or refunded.
|2020 VRPS Awards Application Open
Recognizing Excellence in 2019
Don’t forget submissions are now open to nominate the people, projects and moments from 2019 that enhanced your community, your agency and the Parks and Recreation field. Your Awards and Citations committee is here to help answer any questions that you might have with your submissions so please contact your Service Area Awards Representative or Awards Chair. We look forward to seeing all of the great work from 2019!
- Nominees must be VRPS members at the time of award application submission as well as the Awards Ceremony on Monday, October 5, 2020.
- Nominations are $35 each through 5/31/2020.
- Nominations are $45 each June 1-30, 2020.
- The application deadline is June 30, 2020.
- 2020 VRPS Annual Conference webpage
- 2020 Awards Application page
Publication Online Archives and Submission Deadlines
Submit your content for the
- May VRPS President’s Newsletter to 2020 VRPS President Dan Smith by April 15.
- June VRPS Parks & Recreation magazine to magazine editor Amy-Jo Hendrix by May 15.
To view previous VRPS publications, follow the links below – you must login to the website and be recognized as a VRPS member to see the archives:
Please take note of the following deadlines in regards to submitting content for the VRPS publications:
Health and Wellness Interest Group
Are you interested in joining a Health & Wellness interest group? This group would look to provide educational and networking opportunities for Parks and Recreation professionals who are responsible for health and wellness classes and services, as well as those who desire to improve the health and wellness of their community members through the addition of new programs. This group would be great for facility managers, programmers, fitness directors, and other parks and recreation professionals who are seeking leadership positions and would like to broaden their knowledge through cross-training. If this interests you, please email Julie Frederickson at Julie.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Young Professionals Community
Network Focus: The Young Professional Community (YPC) is designed to inspire and engage members of the recreation profession under the age of 35 (of course all ages are welcome to be involved) to become active members of Virginia Recreation and Parks Society, grow and maintain their professional network, share ideas along with asking questions to the group, and discover the benefits of professional development.
For more information about the YPC, please join the group on Facebook at VRPS Young Professional Community group. If you have any questions or have additional information to share, contact Roberto Ramos at email@example.com
NEW: Playground Maintenance Instruction Course
PROTECT CHILDREN FROM PLAYGROUND HAZARDS
The National Recreation and Park Association’s Playground Maintenance Course will provide an understanding of the most prevalent playground hazards and safe maintenance and repair practices. This one-day course (0.6 CEUs) will train on playground safety standards, playground owner responsibilities and will include maintenance and repair discussions on playground equipment, surfacing and site items
- According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, over 240,000 children are injured each year on playgrounds.
- Poor maintenance is one of the leading causes of injuries on playgrounds.
Who Should Attend?
- Maintenance Staff
- Recreation Staff
- University Seniors
- Anyone Responsible for Playgrounds
Blacksburg, Tuesday, September 15, 2020
Certified Playground Safety Inspector Course
CPSI certifications are valid for 3 years; is it time to renew?
- protect children from injury due to playground hazards,
- protect your business or agency from costly liabilities,
- open the door to more opportunities for career advancement,
- increase your job mobility and choices even in the face of a tough job market,
- reach not only your short-term job goals, but also position yourself for success in your long-term career, and
- be associated with NRPA‘s strong and long-standing reputation in playground safety
Blacksburg, September 16-18, 2020
2020 ESA Summer Survival
Summer Survival 2020 offers recreation leaders and supervisors the tools to survive summer. Topics include therapeutics, team building, fitness, customer service, and more.
ESA will also offer a 50/50 raffle and prize raffle anyone can be a part of for just $1.00 per ticket.
Please bring note taking materials and dress comfortably – no sandles, boots, high heels, or shoes in which you can not run.
2020 Annual Conference Exhibit Hall Registration
Norfolk Marriott Waterside
Exhibit Hall Hours:
- Sunday, October 4, 4-6pm
- Monday, October 5, 11am-1pm
Other promotions available:
- Conference App Ad
- Exhibit Hall Aisle Signage
- Exhibit Hall Center Stage
- Registration Packet Stuffer
- Tabletop Brochure Placement
Planning a VRPS Workshop or Function?
Here’s a checklist to help:
- Plan your event. Use your VRPS liaison for questions and consultation.
- Prepare your event flyers/brochures.
- Update your webpage with event content, including your flyers.
- Add your event to the VRPS calendar; your VRPS website manager can do this as well.
- Complete your CEU Session Proposal Form, if pertinent. These forms should be submitted directly to the CEU Board.
- Complete and submit your VRPS online registration setup request. Keep in mind that if you are offering CEUs, a portion of each registration fee will go to the CEU Committee, depending on the registration period: $10 early, $15 regular, $20 late.
- Submit your Eupdate event promotion block to firstname.lastname@example.org. Eupdate deadline is COB Fridays. Please include graphics in picture format (.JPG or .PNG preferred).
- Send “fresh” content for your event weekly to email@example.com to run in subsequent weeks.
2020 Annual Conference Seeks Speaker Proposals
Submit your proposal online by April 15, 2020.
Topic Areas include:
- Career Development
- Customer Service
- Human Resources
- Park Resources
- Research Based Best Practices
- Special Events
- Therapeutic Recreation
NEW: Session Proposals can be saved and completed later – there will be a link at the bottom of the submission form page. HOWEVER:
- Speakers must save the link they are provided to use in order to resume their submission at a later time. VRPS will not have this link!
- The link is good for thirty days.
- Attached files will not be saved within the form until it is submitted.
2020 Annual Conference Delegate Registration
Register by 5/31/2020 and save.
FULL registration includes:
- All educational sessions Sunday – Tuesday
- Saturday Welcome Social
- Sunday Social
- Sunday Exhibit Evening Reception
- Monday Exhibit Hall Luncheon
- Monday Awards Banquet Dinner
- Monday Social
SUNDAY registration includes:
- All educational sessions
- Opening Session/Keynote Speaker
- Exhibit Hall Evening Reception
MONDAY registration includes:
- All educational sessions
- Exhibit Hall Luncheon
TUESDAY registration includes:
STUDENT registration includes:
- All educational sessions
- Monday Exhibit Hall Luncheon
- Does NOT include Socials or Banquet
Registration does NOT INCLUDE CEUs which are available for additional pre-purchase.
Don’t forget, if you chose “Bill Me”, PAYMENT MUST BE RECEIVED BEFORE YOUR ARRIVAL.
Thanks to VRPS Preferred Vendors
Companies other than non-profit organizations involved in the delivery of leisure services, equipment, supplies or similar associated activities for parks and recreation qualify for VRPS Commercial Membership.
Each Commercial Member receives:
- Two individual Commercial Representative memberships for a total of 2 individuals representing the commercial organization
- Access to online Membership Directory, to include corporate logo, website URL, and Social links in Commercial Member listing
- VRPS member agency department mailing list upon request
- Listing on VRPS “Preferred Vendors” webpage, to include hotlink to website
- Listing in and copies of Virginia Parks & Recreation magazine and VRPS Presidents Newsletter on full page representing preferred vendors – (6 publications/year – distributed electronically to entire VRPS membership)
- Weekly E-Update member newsletter
- 10% discount on advertising
- Membership certificate, free job bank and classifieds postings
- Full use of Members Only sections of www.vrps.com
VRPS Certification Board Submission Process
Want to offer CEUs at your next workshop, conference, or function? The VRPS Certification Board has redesigned the CEU Session Approval form required for request submittals. The new form is simplified and offers both instructions and samples.
As a reminder, CEU requests are submitted online:
- Individual Session Approval
- CEU Session Approval for Workshop/Function
- Continued Professional Development Board Organization Application
- Fill out the necessary CEU forms – available on both the website and via the online system.
- Click on the CEU Submission link.
- Enter your pertinent data and load your CEU form.
- Pay online.
VRPS Certification Board webpage
CEU Submission System
2021 VRPS Management Conference
Registration is open for 2021 Management Conference.
Keep Your VRPS Account Paid and Up to Date
- Login to www.vrps.com.
- Select “My Transactions”.
- Select “Pay Open Orders”.
Update your personal profile by selecting “My Information”.
- Have you recently earned your CPSI, CTRS, CPRP or other certification?
- Has your title, designation, email address, or name changed?
- Do you want to receive correspondence regarding Senior, Aquatics, Special Events, or Park Operation Resource Groups?
Your member record is available in the membership directory, and it is also used to “stuff your envelope” at member functions – badges, ribbons, and correspondence.
The Foundation Needs Your Support
In the past ten years, more than $200,000 has been awarded to over 200 students and professionals, such as yourself and/or your staff, to attend workshops, conferences and in-service trainings.
The source of income for the Foundation includes individual memberships, as well as generous donations from the VRPS Service Areas and Resource Groups. The Foundation Board of Directors has noted that of the more than 200 scholarship recipients, only forty (or 20%) have invested in becoming members of the Foundation. We can and must do better than this in supporting an organization whose mission is to create educational opportunities for students and professionals in the leisure services industry.
We ask you to consider a personal investment in an annual membership. You can choose from any level and join others in supporting the efforts of the Foundation to continue improving our programs in the Commonwealth.
- Bronze $15
- Silver $25
- Gold $50
- Century $100
- Platinum $250
As we develop a culture of generosity, our desire is to Create a Legacy that will support the Foundation for future generations of students and professionals, who in turn will keep VRPS in the forefront of the park and recreation movement.
2020 VSG Registration is Open
- Competition Dates: Tuesday, May 12 – Saturday, May 16
- Registration deadline is May 15, 2020.
- No refunds.
- Visit www.virginiaseniorgames.org for more information.
- Registration is online:
Agencies may request Registration Books for their facilities by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
- Organizations: post a job – $50 fee (free to VRPS organization members)
- Individuals: search for openings