VRPS E-Update: Vol 17 No 11
VRPS Regional Website Editor Training
Attention Service Area and Resource Group Webpage Editors
Please join us via GoToMeeting for website editor instruction training:
- TODAY, Wednesday, March 11
- Connectivity information is below and also within the event on the VRPS Community Calendar.
Park Ranger Training
Join VRPS Park Operations Resource group for a day of FREE training to VRPS members ($25 nonmembers):
This day long training for Park Rangers, Park Enforcement and Park and Recreation professionals will include classes, round table discussions and networking.
2019 VRPS/Kings Dominion Discount Tickets!
VRPS will be offering $38 discount tickets good any park operating day for the 2020 Kings Dominion season (gate price is $72).
Tickets may be purchased by consignment or online. The differences between consignment and online tickets are:
- Consignment tickets require a “Member Ticket Program Authorization Form” to be submitted to VRPS.
- Consignment ticket agencies must be VRPS organization members throughout the ticket season.
- Consignment tickets must be ordered from VRPS Central Office and picked up or shipped for a fee.
- Consignment ticket agencies make payment on the tickets they sell to VRPS monthly and return unsold tickets to Central Office by deadline dates.
- Online tickets are purchased via credit card payment through a VRPS/Kings Dominion portal.
- There is a processing fee for each online ticket order.
- Online tickets may not be returned or refunded.
Upcoming Aquatic Certification Courses
Aquatic Facility Operator
Certified Pool and Spa Operator
Northern Service Area Spring Workshop
Thursday, April 2, 2020
Vienna Community Center
11:15am-12:30pm – Community Partnerships for Better Programs
Programming through partnerships with nonprofits, organizations, law enforcement, schools, and many other groups – encouraging others in the rewards that come from building relationships within their communities.
1:15-2:30pm – Crime Prevention through Environmental Design (CPTED) in Park and Recreation Facilities
This workshop will help recreation center and park staff understand the four main principles of CPTEED in order to deter crime and positively impact the facility:
- Access Control
- Territorial Reinforcement
- Maintenance and Management
Southwestern Service Area Spring Workshop
Wednesday, April 15, 2020
Wytheville Community Center
9:30am-2pm – Nine Minutes on Monday
- Reaching for New Leadership Heights
- Be Prepared Safety Presentation
- Playground Inspection and Maintenance
2020 Leadership Training Institute – Limited Spots Remaining
- Proven Career Advancement – 90% of Directors and Upper Management personnel in Virginia Parks and Recreation Departments have graduated from LTI
- Beautiful Setting – LTI takes place at Wintergreen Resort and utilizes mountain top housing and amenities
- Fun Educational Sessions – LTI prides itself in offering fun, interactive and educational games, activities and presenters centered around bringing out the leader in you
- Networking Opportunities – meet other professionals from around the state to make lasting relationships, share ideas, improve your self confidence and begin forming a support group to last throughout your career
- CEU’s – Earn CEU’s to help maintain your certifications or to help get you on your way to becoming certified
NOTE: LTI is limited to 65 registrants. Unpaid registrants will be placed on the waiting list.
|2020 VRPS Awards Application Open
Recognizing Excellence in 2019
Don’t forget submissions are now open to nominate the people, projects and moments from 2019 that enhanced your community, your agency and the Parks and Recreation field. Your Awards and Citations committee is here to help answer any questions that you might have with your submissions so please contact your Service Area Awards Representative or Awards Chair. We look forward to seeing all of the great work from 2019!
- Nominees must be VRPS members at the time of award application submission as well as the Awards Ceremony on Monday, October 5, 2020.
- Nominations are $35 each through 5/31/2020.
- Nominations are $45 each June 1-30, 2020.
- The application deadline is June 30, 2020.
- 2020 VRPS Annual Conference webpage
- 2020 Awards Application page
Publication Online Archives and Submission Deadlines
Submit your content for the
- May VRPS President’s Newsletter to 2020 VRPS President Dan Smith by April 15.
- June VRPS Parks & Recreation magazine to magazine editor Amy-Jo Hendrix by May 15.
To view previous VRPS publications, follow the links below – you must login to the website and be recognized as a VRPS member to see the archives:
Please take note of the following deadlines in regards to submitting content for the VRPS publications:
Health and Wellness Interest Group
Are you interested in joining a Health & Wellness interest group? This group would look to provide educational and networking opportunities for Parks and Recreation professionals who are responsible for health and wellness classes and services, as well as those who desire to improve the health and wellness of their community members through the addition of new programs. This group would be great for facility managers, programmers, fitness directors, and other parks and recreation professionals who are seeking leadership positions and would like to broaden their knowledge through cross-training. If this interests you, please email Julie Frederickson at Julie.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Young Professionals Community
Network Focus: The Young Professional Community (YPC) is designed to inspire and engage members of the recreation profession under the age of 35 (of course all ages are welcome to be involved) to become active members of Virginia Recreation and Parks Society, grow and maintain their professional network, share ideas along with asking questions to the group, and discover the benefits of professional development.
For more information about the YPC, please join the group on Facebook at VRPS Young Professional Community group. If you have any questions or have additional information to share, contact Roberto Ramos at email@example.com
Hands-On Athletic Fields Workshop
A Great Hands-On Approach while earning .2 CEUs!
- basics in agronomic and cultural programs
- what is available in the world of herbicides and precautions to consider when using them on trafficked turf.
Monday, March 16, 2020: Virginia Tech
Tuesday, March 17, 2020: Chesapeake
Wednesday, March 18, 2020: Henrico
Thursday, March 19, 2020: Loudoun
2020 VSG Registration is Open
- Competition Dates: Tuesday, May 12 – Saturday, May 16
- Registration deadline is April 15, 2020.
- No refunds.
- Visit www.virginiaseniorgames.org for more information.
- Registration is online:
Agencies may request Registration Books for their facilities by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
NEW: Playground Maintenance Instruction Course
PROTECT CHILDREN FROM PLAYGROUND HAZARDS
The National Recreation and Park Association’s Playground Maintenance Course will provide an understanding of the most prevalent playground hazards and safe maintenance and repair practices. This one-day course (0.6 CEUs) will train on playground safety standards, playground owner responsibilities and will include maintenance and repair discussions on playground equipment, surfacing and site items
- According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, over 240,000 children are injured each year on playgrounds.
- Poor maintenance is one of the leading causes of injuries on playgrounds.
Who Should Attend?
- Maintenance Staff
- Recreation Staff
- University Seniors
- Anyone Responsible for Playgrounds
Blacksburg, Tuesday, September 15, 2020
Certified Playground Safety Inspector Course
CPSI certifications are valid for 3 years; is it time to renew?
- protect children from injury due to playground hazards,
- protect your business or agency from costly liabilities,
- open the door to more opportunities for career advancement,
- increase your job mobility and choices even in the face of a tough job market,
- reach not only your short-term job goals, but also position yourself for success in your long-term career, and
- be associated with NRPA‘s strong and long-standing reputation in playground safety
Blacksburg, September 16-18, 2020
2020 ESA Summer Survival
Summer Survival 2020 offers recreation leaders and supervisors the tools to survive summer. Topics include therapeutics, team building, fitness, customer service, and more.
ESA will also offer a 50/50 raffle and prize raffle anyone can be a part of for just $1.00 per ticket.
Please bring note taking materials and dress comfortably – no sandles, boots, high heels, or shoes in which you can not run.
2020 Annual Conference Exhibit Hall Registration
Norfolk Marriott Waterside
Exhibit Hall Hours:
- Sunday, October 4, 4-6pm
- Monday, October 5, 11am-1pm
Other promotions available:
- Conference App Ad
- Exhibit Hall Aisle Signage
- Exhibit Hall Center Stage
- Registration Packet Stuffer
- Tabletop Brochure Placement
Planning a VRPS Workshop or Function?
Here’s a checklist to help:
- Plan your event. Use your VRPS liaison for questions and consultation.
- Prepare your event flyers/brochures.
- Update your webpage with event content, including your flyers.
- Add your event to the VRPS calendar; your VRPS website manager can do this as well.
- Complete your CEU Session Proposal Form, if pertinent. These forms should be submitted directly to the CEU Board.
- Complete and submit your VRPS online registration setup request. Keep in mind that if you are offering CEUs, a portion of each registration fee will go to the CEU Committee, depending on the registration period: $10 early, $15 regular, $20 late.
- Submit your Eupdate event promotion block to email@example.com. Eupdate deadline is COB Fridays. Please include graphics in picture format (.JPG or .PNG preferred).
- Send “fresh” content for your event weekly to firstname.lastname@example.org to run in subsequent weeks.
2020 Annual Conference Seeks Speaker Proposals
Submit your proposal online by April 15, 2020.
Topic Areas include:
- Career Development
- Customer Service
- Human Resources
- Park Resources
- Research Based Best Practices
- Special Events
- Therapeutic Recreation
NEW: Session Proposals can be saved and completed later – there will be a link at the bottom of the submission form page. HOWEVER:
- Speakers must save the link they are provided to use in order to resume their submission at a later time. VRPS will not have this link!
- The link is good for thirty days.
- Attached files will not be saved within the form until it is submitted.
to see what’s taking place on the Leglislative front.
Your 2020 VRPS Legislative Committee Leaders are:
2020 Annual Conference Delegate Registration
Register by 5/31/2020 and save.
FULL registration includes:
- All educational sessions Sunday – Tuesday
- Saturday Welcome Social
- Sunday Social
- Sunday Exhibit Evening Reception
- Monday Exhibit Hall Luncheon
- Monday Awards Banquet Dinner
- Monday Social
SUNDAY registration includes:
- All educational sessions
- Opening Session/Keynote Speaker
- Exhibit Hall Evening Reception
MONDAY registration includes:
- All educational sessions
- Exhibit Hall Luncheon
TUESDAY registration includes:
STUDENT registration includes:
- All educational sessions
- Monday Exhibit Hall Luncheon
- Does NOT include Socials or Banquet
Registration does NOT INCLUDE CEUs which are available for additional pre-purchase.
Don’t forget, if you chose “Bill Me”, PAYMENT MUST BE RECEIVED BEFORE YOUR ARRIVAL.
Thanks to VRPS Preferred Vendors
Companies other than non-profit organizations involved in the delivery of leisure services, equipment, supplies or similar associated activities for parks and recreation qualify for VRPS Commercial Membership.
Each Commercial Member receives:
- Two individual Commercial Representative memberships for a total of 2 individuals representing the commercial organization
- Access to online Membership Directory, to include corporate logo, website URL, and Social links in Commercial Member listing
- VRPS member agency department mailing list upon request
- Listing on VRPS “Preferred Vendors” webpage, to include hotlink to website
- Listing in and copies of Virginia Parks & Recreation magazine and VRPS Presidents Newsletter on full page representing preferred vendors – (6 publications/year – distributed electronically to entire VRPS membership)
- Weekly E-Update member newsletter
- 10% discount on advertising
- Membership certificate, free job bank and classifieds postings
- Full use of Members Only sections of www.vrps.com
VRPS Certification Board Submission Process
Want to offer CEUs at your next workshop, conference, or function? The VRPS Certification Board has redesigned the CEU Session Approval form required for request submittals. The new form is simplified and offers both instructions and samples.
As a reminder, CEU requests are submitted online:
- Individual Session Approval
- CEU Session Approval for Workshop/Function
- Continued Professional Development Board Organization Application
- Fill out the necessary CEU forms – available on both the website and via the online system.
- Click on the CEU Submission link.
- Enter your pertinent data and load your CEU form.
- Pay online.
VRPS Certification Board webpage
CEU Submission System
2021 VRPS Management Conference
Registration is open for 2021 Management Conference.
Keep Your VRPS Account Paid and Up to Date
- Login to www.vrps.com.
- Select “My Transactions”.
- Select “Pay Open Orders”.
Update your personal profile by selecting “My Information”.
- Have you recently earned your CPSI, CTRS, CPRP or other certification?
- Has your title, designation, email address, or name changed?
- Do you want to receive correspondence regarding Senior, Aquatics, Special Events, or Park Operation Resource Groups?
Your member record is available in the membership directory, and it is also used to “stuff your envelope” at member functions – badges, ribbons, and correspondence.
The Foundation Needs Your Support
In the past ten years, more than $200,000 has been awarded to over 200 students and professionals, such as yourself and/or your staff, to attend workshops, conferences and in-service trainings.
The source of income for the Foundation includes individual memberships, as well as generous donations from the VRPS Service Areas and Resource Groups. The Foundation Board of Directors has noted that of the more than 200 scholarship recipients, only forty (or 20%) have invested in becoming members of the Foundation. We can and must do better than this in supporting an organization whose mission is to create educational opportunities for students and professionals in the leisure services industry.
We ask you to consider a personal investment in an annual membership. You can choose from any level and join others in supporting the efforts of the Foundation to continue improving our programs in the Commonwealth.
- Bronze $15
- Silver $25
- Gold $50
- Century $100
- Platinum $250
As we develop a culture of generosity, our desire is to Create a Legacy that will support the Foundation for future generations of students and professionals, who in turn will keep VRPS in the forefront of the park and recreation movement.
- Organizations: post a job – $50 fee (free to VRPS organization members)
- Individuals: search for openings