VRPS E-Update: Vol 16 No 50
Foundation Silent Auction: Major League Baseball Autographed by World Series MVP Steven Strasburg
This ball was donated by a gentleman who is a personal car transporter for the Washington Nationals Major League baseball team. This driver personally transported 2019 World Series MVP Steven Strasburg’s SUV to Florida on his behalf. The ball was given as part of a thank-you and was signed after the World Series win.
Note: this ball was not used in the World Series, nor is it authenticated.
Minimum Bid: $150
Minimum Bid Increment: $10
Bids close 12pm (noon) EST, Tuesday, December 17, 2019.
Winner will be contacted at phone number submitted with bid.
Payment + shipping costs must be made by COB, Tuesday, December 17, 2019.
Ball will be shipped after payment – approximately Thursday, December 19, 2019.
Proceeds benefit The Foundation of the Virginia Recreation and Park Society Endowment Fund.
Submission of a bid is a commitment to purchase.
NSA Winter Luncheon
Join your neighboring colleagues for lunch, socializing and a creative team and mission building activity.
Early registration ends 1/2/2020!
- Friday, January 10, 2020
- The Lake House – 11450 Baron Cameron Avenue, Reston, VA (703-435-6530)
- Questions? Contact Amy Youngs.
- Register Here
Past President James Greiner Passes
Jim Greiner, VRPS President 1972-73, passed away after a brief illness on Friday December 6, 2019.
Jim grew up on the playgrounds in the City of Richmond. After graduating from NC State, he started his parks and recreation career in Baltimore. Jim was Director of Parks and Recreation in Danville and Portsmouth, VA. While working full time in public parks and recreation, Jim and his wife Jeanette started Wildwater Adventures on the Chattooga River in South Carolina. Jim retired from the City of Portsmouth to work full time in the outdoor adventure business.
Jim served as President of VRPS and, along with others, created the first strategic plan that challenged the VRPS membership to establish an office and full time staff. Jim also was instrumental in starting the VRPS Leadership Training Institute and received the Fellows Award in 1976. Jim was an innovative leader in Virginia as well as throughout the country.
A memorial service is being planned for the spring.
Special Events and Marketing Resource Group
Quarterly Meeting and Roundtable – Save the Date!
The next Special Events and Marketing Resource Group Quarterly Meeting is slated for Thursday, January 23, 10am-1pm. This meeting will feature a roundtable lunch and learn session! Come discuss current trends or challenges you may be facing with other professionals like yourself. Special guest, Jason Shriner, Marketing Manager, Manassas Park Department of Parks & Recreation will provide a brief presentation and is tailoring it to your NEEDS.
What challenges are you facing in marketing and special events? What would you like to get out of the training? Email our Training and Education Chair ASAP with any ideas, challenges and current needs.
Come discover new ideas and Network!
Please RSVP by January 15
to JudiAnn Hawkins-Pond, Special Events and Marketing Training and Education Chair, email@example.com
2020 Leadership Training Institute – Registration and Scholarship Application Open
- Proven Career Advancement – 90% of Directors and Upper Management personnel in Virginia Parks and Recreation Departments have graduated from LTI
- Beautiful Setting – LTI takes place at Wintergreen Resort and utilizes mountain top housing and amenities
- Fun Educational Sessions – LTI prides itself in offering fun, interactive and educational games, activities and presenters centered around bringing out the leader in you
- Networking Opportunities – meet other professionals from around the state to make lasting relationships, share ideas, improve your self confidence and begin forming a support group to last throughout your career
- CEU’s – Earn CEU’s to help maintain your certifications or to help get you on your way to becoming certified
NOTE: LTI is limited to 65 registrants. Unpaid registrants will be placed on the waiting list.
Keep Your VRPS Account Paid and Up to Date
- Login to www.vrps.com.
- Select “My Transactions”.
- Select “Pay Open Orders”.
Update your personal profile by selecting “My Information”.
- Have you recently earned your CPSI, CTRS, CPRP or other certification?
- Has your title, designation, email address, or name changed?
- Do you want to receive correspondence regarding Senior, Aquatics, Special Events, or Park Operation Resource Groups?
Your member record is available in the membership directory, and it is also used to “stuff your envelope” at member functions – badges, ribbons, and correspondence.
News from VDH
Rev Your Bev Day 2019 landed on Virginia back on November the 13th. We saw people young and old promoting the health benefits of making water, and water-based beverages, their beverage of choice on social media and online. Teachers, students, oral health professionals, day cares, civic groups, and independent health-minded individuals from across our beautiful state all did their part to make the 8th annual Rev Your Bev Day a great success.
We want to keep this momentum going, so we are encouraging everyone to seriously consider curbing the use of sugary drinks to combat obesity, diabetes, and other ailments and maladies made worse by a diet high in sugar. For fun water-based beverage recipes see the Rev Your Bev official website
Final CSA Meeting of 2019
Thursday, December 12: attend the meeting and stay for the social too!
- CSA Business meeting – 2:30pm
- CSA Regular meeting – 3pm
- Social – 4-7pm
Final meeting of 2019: Rreview the events of 2019, reconcile/balance the 2019 budget, begin planning for 2020.
- The Virginia Home: 1101 Hampton Street, Richmond, VA 23220
Social 4-7pm: Enjoy bowling, skee-ball, shuffle board, food and beverages.
Parking at The Virginia Home:
Best parking is most likely on the street and near Swan Lake at Byrd Park. There is an overflow (grass) lot across Meadow Street, corner of Winder and Meadow Streets, one block away.
Enter the front of the building on Hampton Street, facing the lakes. Enter the lobby and let the receptionist know you are there for the VRPS/CSA meeting. Take the public elevator to the 6th floor and to the training room.
Green Stormwater Infrastructure Training Opportunity
NRPA is offering training scholarships for park and recreational professionals to participate in a National Green Infrastructure Certification Program (NGICP) , which certifies professionals to properly build, inspect and maintain green stormwater infrastructure practices. The training is being held in Atlanta, GA on May 11-14, 2020 and interested professionals are encouraged to apply. To learn more about the training opportunity and to apply, please click here
Engage, Connect and Protect: Engineering Diverse Youth as Environmental Leaders
Parks everywhere serve as a gateway to nature and the great outdoors. As stewards of these spaces, it’s our responsibility to cultivate the next generation of diverse environmental leaders that will utilize and protect these spaces for generations to come.
To assist park agencies with this important work, we are collaborating with renowned expert, Angelou Ezeilo, to host an interactive diversity workshop that will cover the following topics:
- Bridging the cultural divide and activate a new generation of environmental stewards
- Why culturally relevant curriculum is needed to engage diverse youth and young adults
- A resource guide for connecting mainstream America to organizations working with diverse youth within environmental projects, training and employment
Ezeilo is founder and CEO of Greening Youth Foundation, an organization that focuses on the recruitment and placement of thousands of youth and young adults from diverse backgrounds in careers in conservation and land management, and author of Engage, Connect, Protect: Empowering Young Diverse Environmental Leaders that illustrates the lifelong pursuit of inclusion and equity in conversation and environmental stewardship.
Ezeilo partners with federal agencies, environmental NGOs and outdoor retailers to increase industry access for underrepresented people throughout North America.
Publication Online Archives and Submission Deadlines
Submit your content for the
- February VRPS Parks & Recreation magazine to magazine editor Amy-Jo Hendrix by January 31.
To view previous VRPS publications, follow the links below – you must login to the website and be recognized as a VRPS member to see the archives:
Please take note of the following deadlines in regards to submitting content for the VRPS publications:
Hands-On Athletic Fields Workshop
A Great Hands-On Approach while earning .2 CEUs!
- basics in agronomic and cultural programs
- what is available in the world of herbicides and precautions to consider when using them on trafficked turf.
Monday, March 16, 2020: Virginia Tech
Tuesday, March 17, 2020: Chesapeake
Wednesday, March 18, 2020: Henrico
Thursday, March 19, 2020: Loudoun
NEW: Playground Maintenance Instruction Course
PROTECT CHILDREN FROM PLAYGROUND HAZARDS
The National Recreation and Park Association’s Playground Maintenance Course will provide an understanding of the most prevalent playground hazards and safe maintenance and repair practices. This one-day course (0.6 CEUs) will train on playground safety standards, playground owner responsibilities and will include maintenance and repair discussions on playground equipment, surfacing and site items
- According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, over 240,000 children are injured each year on playgrounds.
- Poor maintenance is one of the leading causes of injuries on playgrounds.
Who Should Attend?
- Maintenance Staff
- Recreation Staff
- University Seniors
- Anyone Responsible for Playgrounds
Newport News, March 3, 2020
Certified Playground Safety Inspector Course
CPSI certifications are valid for 3 years; is it time to renew?
- protect children from injury due to playground hazards,
- protect your business or agency from costly liabilities,
- open the door to more opportunities for career advancement,
- increase your job mobility and choices even in the face of a tough job market,
- reach not only your short-term job goals, but also position yourself for success in your long-term career, and
- be associated with NRPA‘s strong and long-standing reputation in playground safety
Newport News, March 4-6, 2020
2020 Annual Conference Exhibit Hall Registration
Norfolk Marriott Waterside
Exhibit Hall Hours:
- Sunday, October 4, 4-6pm
- Monday, October 5, 11am-1pm
Other promotions available:
- Conference App Ad
- Exhibit Hall Aisle Signage
- Exhibit Hall Center Stage
- Registration Packet Stuffer
- Tabletop Brochure Placement
2020 Annual Conference Seeks Speaker Proposals
Submit your proposal online by April 15, 2020.
Topic Areas include:
- Career Development
- Customer Service
- Human Resources
- Park Resources
- Research Based Best Practices
- Special Events
- Therapeutic Recreation
NEW: Session Proposals can be saved and completed later – there will be a link at the bottom of the submission form page. HOWEVER:
- Speakers must save the link they are provided to use in order to resume their submission at a later time. VRPS will not have this link!
- The link is good for thirty days.
- Attached files will not be saved within the form until it is submitted.
2020 Annual Conference Delegate Registration
Register by 5/31/2020 and save.
FULL registration includes:
- All educational sessions Sunday – Tuesday
- Saturday Welcome Social
- Sunday Social
- Sunday Exhibit Evening Reception
- Monday Exhibit Hall Luncheon
- Monday Awards Banquet Dinner
- Monday Social
SUNDAY registration includes:
- All educational sessions
- Opening Session/Keynote Speaker
- Exhibit Hall Evening Reception
MONDAY registration includes:
- All educational sessions
- Exhibit Hall Luncheon
TUESDAY registration includes:
STUDENT registration includes:
- All educational sessions
- Monday Exhibit Hall Luncheon
- Does NOT include Socials or Banquet
Registration does NOT INCLUDE CEUs which are available for additional pre-purchase.
Don’t forget, if you chose “Bill Me”, PAYMENT MUST BE RECEIVED BEFORE YOUR ARRIVAL.