VRPS E-Update: Vol 16 No 48
Aquatics Resource Group EOY Wrap-Up
Monday, December 2 – Kids First Swim School, 13985 Metrotech Drive, Chantilly, VA 20151
Tuesday, December 3 – Miller Center, 301 Grove Street, Lynchburg, VA 24501
2020 Leadership Training Institute – Registration and Scholarship Application Open
- Proven Career Advancement – 90% of Directors and Upper Management personnel in Virginia Parks and Recreation Departments have graduated from LTI
- Beautiful Setting – LTI takes place at Wintergreen Resort and utilizes mountain top housing and amenities
- Fun Educational Sessions – LTI prides itself in offering fun, interactive and educational games, activities and presenters centered around bringing out the leader in you
- Networking Opportunities – meet other professionals from around the state to make lasting relationships, share ideas, improve your self confidence and begin forming a support group to last throughout your career
- CEU’s – Earn CEU’s to help maintain your certifications or to help get you on your way to becoming certified
NOTE: LTI is limited to 65 registrants. Unpaid registrants will be placed on the waiting list.
Eastern Service Area Sponsored Memberships
The Eastern Service Area of the Virginia Recreation and Park Society will be offering sponsored professional and student memberships in an effort to promote involvement with VRPS. Candidates will be required to submit a completed application accompanied by a letter of recommendation from a current VRPS member in good standing. Previous or current involvement with VRPS/ESA is not required. Preference will be shown to applicants who have not previously received a sponsored membership benefit from ESA. Applications will be reviewed by a panel. Candidates selected for sponsored membership will be expected to attend ESA/VRPS meetings and/or events throughout the year. Applications are due no later than December 1, 2019 and should be submitted to the ESA Chair, Roberto Ramos, at email@example.com .
Keep Your VRPS Account Paid and Up to Date
- Login to www.vrps.com.
- Select “My Transactions”.
- Select “Pay Open Orders”.
Update your personal profile by selecting “My Information”.
- Have you recently earned your CPSI, CTRS, CPRP or other certification?
- Has your title, designation, email address, or name changed?
- Do you want to receive correspondence regarding Senior, Aquatics, Special Events, or Park Operation Resource Groups?
Your member record is available in the membership directory, and it is also used to “stuff your envelope” at member functions – badges, ribbons, and correspondence.
2020 VRPS Leadership Orientation
SAVE THE DATE and EARN .1 CEU!
Service Area/Resource Group Upcoming ToDo’s before 10/31/2019:
Final CSA Meeting of 2019
Thursday, December 12: attend the meeting and stay for the social too!
- CSA Business meeting – 2:30pm
- CSA Regular meeting – 3pm
- Social – 4-7pm
Final meeting of 2019: Rreview the events of 2019, reconcile/balance the 2019 budget, begin planning for 2020.
- The Virginia Home: 1101 Hampton Street, Richmond, VA 23220
Social 4-7pm: Enjoy bowling, skee-ball, shuffle board, food and beverages.
Parking at The Virginia Home:
Best parking is most likely on the street and near Swan Lake at Byrd Park. There is an overflow (grass) lot across Meadow Street, corner of Winder and Meadow Streets, one block away.
Enter the front of the building on Hampton Street, facing the lakes. Enter the lobby and let the receptionist know you are there for the VRPS/CSA meeting. Take the public elevator to the 6th floor and to the training room.
Green Stormwater Infrastructure Training Opportunity
NRPA is offering training scholarships for park and recreational professionals to participate in a National Green Infrastructure Certification Program (NGICP) , which certifies professionals to properly build, inspect and maintain green stormwater infrastructure practices. The training is being held in Atlanta, GA on May 11-14, 2020 and interested professionals are encouraged to apply. To learn more about the training opportunity and to apply, please click here
Engage, Connect and Protect: Engineering Diverse Youth as Environmental Leaders
Parks everywhere serve as a gateway to nature and the great outdoors. As stewards of these spaces, it’s our responsibility to cultivate the next generation of diverse environmental leaders that will utilize and protect these spaces for generations to come.
To assist park agencies with this important work, we are collaborating with renowned expert, Angelou Ezeilo, to host an interactive diversity workshop that will cover the following topics:
- Bridging the cultural divide and activate a new generation of environmental stewards
- Why culturally relevant curriculum is needed to engage diverse youth and young adults
- A resource guide for connecting mainstream America to organizations working with diverse youth within environmental projects, training and employment
Ezeilo is founder and CEO of Greening Youth Foundation, an organization that focuses on the recruitment and placement of thousands of youth and young adults from diverse backgrounds in careers in conservation and land management, and author of Engage, Connect, Protect: Empowering Young Diverse Environmental Leaders that illustrates the lifelong pursuit of inclusion and equity in conversation and environmental stewardship.
Ezeilo partners with federal agencies, environmental NGOs and outdoor retailers to increase industry access for underrepresented people throughout North America.
Special Events and Marketing Resource Group
Quarterly Meeting and Roundtable – Save the Date!
The next Special Events and Marketing Resource Group Quarterly Meeting is slated for Thursday, January 23, 10am-1pm. This meeting will feature a roundtable lunch and learn session! Come discuss current trends or challenges you may be facing with other professionals like yourself. Special guest, Jason Shriner, Marketing Manager, Manassas Park Department of Parks & Recreation will provide a brief presentation and is tailoring it to your NEEDS.
What challenges are you facing in marketing and special events? What would you like to get out of the training? Email our Training and Education Chair ASAP with any ideas, challenges and current needs.
Come discover new ideas and Network!
Please RSVP by January 15 to JudiAnn Hawkins-Pond, Special Events and Marketing Training and Education Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Publication Online Archives and Submission Deadlines
Submit your content for the
- February VRPS Parks & Recreation magazine to magazine editor Amy-Jo Hendrix by January 31.
To view previous VRPS publications, follow the links below – you must login to the website and be recognized as a VRPS member to see the archives:
Please take note of the following deadlines in regards to submitting content for the VRPS publications:
Hands-On Athletic Fields Workshop
A Great Hands-On Approach while earning .2 CEUs!
- basics in agronomic and cultural programs
- what is available in the world of herbicides and precautions to consider when using them on trafficked turf.
Monday, March 16, 2020: Virginia Tech
Tuesday, March 17, 2020: Chesapeake
Wednesday, March 18, 2020: Henrico
Thursday, March 19, 2020: Loudoun
NEW: Playground Maintenance Instruction Course
PROTECT CHILDREN FROM PLAYGROUND HAZARDS
The National Recreation and Park Association’s Playground Maintenance Course will provide an understanding of the most prevalent playground hazards and safe maintenance and repair practices. This one-day course (0.6 CEUs) will train on playground safety standards, playground owner responsibilities and will include maintenance and repair discussions on playground equipment, surfacing and site items
- According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, over 240,000 children are injured each year on playgrounds.
- Poor maintenance is one of the leading causes of injuries on playgrounds.
Who Should Attend?
- Maintenance Staff
- Recreation Staff
- University Seniors
- Anyone Responsible for Playgrounds
Newport News, March 3, 2020
Call for Park Ranger and Law Enforcement Training
The Park Operations Resource Group is looking to conduct training for Park Rangers and Park Law Enforcement. It has been over 10 years since VRPS has offered specific training for Park Rangers. Last time it was offered in James City County we had 12 localities and 25 participants attend for a day of professional development and networking. We are looking to reconnect that group and are looking for all localities that have Park Rangers or Park Police to help us develop a data base of Park Rangers. If are or have park rangers in your department please take a moment to email Dan Smith
Certified Playground Safety Inspector Course
CPSI certifications are valid for 3 years; is it time to renew?
- protect children from injury due to playground hazards,
- protect your business or agency from costly liabilities,
- open the door to more opportunities for career advancement,
- increase your job mobility and choices even in the face of a tough job market,
- reach not only your short-term job goals, but also position yourself for success in your long-term career, and
- be associated with NRPA‘s strong and long-standing reputation in playground safety
Newport News, March 4-6, 2020
2020 Annual Conference Exhibit Hall Registration
Norfolk Marriott Waterside
Exhibit Hall Hours:
- Sunday, October 4, 4-6pm
- Monday, October 5, 11am-1pm
Other promotions available:
- Conference App Ad
- Exhibit Hall Aisle Signage
- Exhibit Hall Center Stage
- Registration Packet Stuffer
- Tabletop Brochure Placement
2020 Annual Conference Seeks Speaker Proposals
Submit your proposal online by April 15, 2020.
Topic Areas include:
- Career Development
- Customer Service
- Human Resources
- Park Resources
- Research Based Best Practices
- Special Events
- Therapeutic Recreation
NEW: Session Proposals can be saved and completed later – there will be a link at the bottom of the submission form page. HOWEVER:
- Speakers must save the link they are provided to use in order to resume their submission at a later time. VRPS will not have this link!
- The link is good for thirty days.
- Attached files will not be saved within the form until it is submitted.
2020 Annual Conference Delegate Registration
Register by 5/31/2020 and save.
FULL registration includes:
- All educational sessions Sunday – Tuesday
- Saturday Welcome Social
- Sunday Social
- Sunday Exhibit Evening Reception
- Monday Exhibit Hall Luncheon
- Monday Awards Banquet Dinner
- Monday Social
SUNDAY registration includes:
- All educational sessions
- Opening Session/Keynote Speaker
- Exhibit Hall Evening Reception
MONDAY registration includes:
- All educational sessions
- Exhibit Hall Luncheon
TUESDAY registration includes:
STUDENT registration includes:
- All educational sessions
- Monday Exhibit Hall Luncheon
- Does NOT include Socials or Banquet
Registration does NOT INCLUDE CEUs which are available for additional pre-purchase.
Don’t forget, if you chose “Bill Me”, PAYMENT MUST BE RECEIVED BEFORE YOUR ARRIVAL.