VRPS E-Update: Vol 16 No 45
CSA: Special Event Leaders in Central Virginia – TODAY!
This workshop is for professionals who would like to know more about the details that go into planning,successful special events. Topics will cover how to utilize large and small spaces, logistics, how to provide security and ensuring that you provide a strong experience for your families and community. Staff from Richmond Raceway, The Flying Squirrels, and RMC Events will provide us knowledge on how to plan and put on our own special events in our individual localities. Lunch and snacks will be provided.
Wednesday, November 6
NSA Business Meeting and Fall Workshop
12:15-1:30pm: Park RX: Park Prescriptions to Improve Health and Well-Being
This workshop will be led by the Executive Director of Park RX, John Henderson and Dr. Stacey Stryer. The speakers will discuss Park RX’s mission to work with healthcare providers to encourage patients/clients to spend time in nature with the goal of improving their health and well-being. This will provide planners with evidence on the nexus between the environment, access to nature and the outdoors and health outcomes. Planners with an interest in GIS will understand how local governments can help doctors by providing maps that show nearby access to nature.
1:45-3pm: PKMove and the Benefits of a “Gym Without Walls”
Dr. Alexi Wong of Marymount University will present recent groundbreaking studies on the benefits of parkour programs geared towards seniors. The session will also highlight how park furniture and urban amenities can be used as a “gym without walls” to practice fall prevention and balance, as demonstrated by Nancy Lorentz, founder of PKMove.
This workshop will be particularly interesting to Planners and designers who are involved with shaping the urban realm and how it can be designed to facilitate healthy exercise, particularly for senior populations. The session will also highlight the partnership that Alexandria has with PKMove in providing senior programs.
Southwestern Service Area Fall Workshop
Another Bag of Tricks – the Fall Edition
Aquatics Resource Group EOY Wrap-Up
Monday, December 2 – Kids First Swim School, 13985 Metrotech Drive, Chantilly, VA 20151
Tuesday, December 3 – Miller Center, 301 Grove Street, Lynchburg, VA 24501
2020 Leadership Training Institute – Registration and Scholarship Application Open
- Proven Career Advancement – 90% of Directors and Upper Management personnel in Virginia Parks and Recreation Departments have graduated from LTI
- Beautiful Setting – LTI takes place at Wintergreen Resort and utilizes mountain top housing and amenities
- Fun Educational Sessions – LTI prides itself in offering fun, interactive and educational games, activities and presenters centered around bringing out the leader in you
- Networking Opportunities – meet other professionals from around the state to make lasting relationships, share ideas, improve your self confidence and begin forming a support group to last throughout your career
- CEU’s – Earn CEU’s to help maintain your certifications or to help get you on your way to becoming certified
NOTE: LTI is limited to 65 registrants. Unpaid registrants will be placed on the waiting list.
Eastern Service Area Sponsored Memberships
The Eastern Service Area of the Virginia Recreation and Park Society will be offering sponsored professional and student memberships in an effort to promote involvement with VRPS. Candidates will be required to submit a completed application accompanied by a letter of recommendation from a current VRPS member in good standing. Previous or current involvement with VRPS/ESA is not required. Preference will be shown to applicants who have not previously received a sponsored membership benefit from ESA. Applications will be reviewed by a panel. Candidates selected for sponsored membership will be expected to attend ESA/VRPS meetings and/or events throughout the year. Applications are due no later than December 1, 2019 and should be submitted to the ESA Chair, Roberto Ramos, at firstname.lastname@example.org .
2020 VRPS Leadership Orientation
SAVE THE DATE and EARN .1 CEU!
Service Area/Resource Group Upcoming ToDo’s before 10/31/2019:
Green Stormwater Infrastructure Training Opportunity
NRPA is offering training scholarships for park and recreational professionals to participate in a National Green Infrastructure Certification Program (NGICP) , which certifies professionals to properly build, inspect and maintain green stormwater infrastructure practices. The training is being held in Atlanta, GA on May 11-14, 2020 and interested professionals are encouraged to apply. To learn more about the training opportunity and to apply, please click here
Special Events and Marketing Resource Group
Quarterly Meeting and Roundtable – Save the Date!
The next Special Events and Marketing Resource Group Quarterly Meeting is slated for Thursday, January 23, 10am-1pm. This meeting will feature a roundtable lunch and learn session! Come discuss current trends or challenges you may be facing with other professionals like yourself. Special guest, Jason Shriner, Marketing Manager, Manassas Park Department of Parks & Recreation will provide a brief presentation and is tailoring it to your NEEDS.
What challenges are you facing in marketing and special events? What would you like to get out of the training? Email our Training and Education Chair ASAP with any ideas, challenges and current needs.
Come discover new ideas and Network!
Please RSVP by January 15 to JudiAnn Hawkins-Pond, Special Events and Marketing Training and Education Chair, email@example.com.
Publication Online Archives and Submission Deadlines
Submit your content for the
- February VRPS Parks & Recreation magazine to magazine editor Amy-Jo Hendrix by January 31.
To view previous VRPS publications, follow the links below – you must login to the website and be recognized as a VRPS member to see the archives:
Please take note of the following deadlines in regards to submitting content for the VRPS publications:
Hands-On Athletic Fields Workshop
A Great Hands-On Approach while earning .2 CEUs!
- basics in agronomic and cultural programs
- what is available in the world of herbicides and precautions to consider when using them on trafficked turf.
Monday, March 16, 2020: Virginia Tech
Tuesday, March 17, 2020: Chesapeake
Wednesday, March 18, 2020: Henrico
Thursday, March 19, 2020: Loudoun
NEW: Playground Maintenance Instruction Course
PROTECT CHILDREN FROM PLAYGROUND HAZARDS
The National Recreation and Park Association’s Playground Maintenance Course will provide an understanding of the most prevalent playground hazards and safe maintenance and repair practices. This one-day course (0.6 CEUs) will train on playground safety standards, playground owner responsibilities and will include maintenance and repair discussions on playground equipment, surfacing and site items
- According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, over 240,000 children are injured each year on playgrounds.
- Poor maintenance is one of the leading causes of injuries on playgrounds.
Who Should Attend?
- Maintenance Staff
- Recreation Staff
- University Seniors
- Anyone Responsible for Playgrounds
Newport News, March 3, 2020
Call for Park Ranger and Law Enforcement Training
The Park Operations Resource Group is looking to conduct training for Park Rangers and Park Law Enforcement. It has been over 10 years since VRPS has offered specific training for Park Rangers. Last time it was offered in James City County we had 12 localities and 25 participants attend for a day of professional development and networking. We are looking to reconnect that group and are looking for all localities that have Park Rangers or Park Police to help us develop a data base of Park Rangers. If are or have park rangers in your department please take a moment to email Dan Smith
Certified Playground Safety Inspector Course
CPSI certifications are valid for 3 years; is it time to renew?
- protect children from injury due to playground hazards,
- protect your business or agency from costly liabilities,
- open the door to more opportunities for career advancement,
- increase your job mobility and choices even in the face of a tough job market,
- reach not only your short-term job goals, but also position yourself for success in your long-term career, and
- be associated with NRPA‘s strong and long-standing reputation in playground safety
Newport News, March 4-6, 2020
2020 Annual Conference Exhibit Hall Registration
Norfolk Marriott Waterside
Exhibit Hall Hours:
- Sunday, October 4, 4-6pm
- Monday, October 5, 11am-1pm
Other promotions available:
- Conference App Ad
- Exhibit Hall Aisle Signage
- Exhibit Hall Center Stage
- Registration Packet Stuffer
- Tabletop Brochure Placement
2020 Annual Conference Seeks Speaker Proposals
Submit your proposal online by April 15, 2020.
Topic Areas include:
- Career Development
- Customer Service
- Human Resources
- Park Resources
- Research Based Best Practices
- Special Events
- Therapeutic Recreation
NEW: Session Proposals can be saved and completed later – there will be a link at the bottom of the submission form page. HOWEVER:
- Speakers must save the link they are provided to use in order to resume their submission at a later time. VRPS will not have this link!
- The link is good for thirty days.
- Attached files will not be saved within the form until it is submitted.
2020 Annual Conference Delegate Registration
Register by 5/31/2020 and save.
FULL registration includes:
- All educational sessions Sunday – Tuesday
- Saturday Welcome Social
- Sunday Social
- Sunday Exhibit Evening Reception
- Monday Exhibit Hall Luncheon
- Monday Awards Banquet Dinner
- Monday Social
SUNDAY registration includes:
- All educational sessions
- Opening Session/Keynote Speaker
- Exhibit Hall Evening Reception
MONDAY registration includes:
- All educational sessions
- Exhibit Hall Luncheon
TUESDAY registration includes:
STUDENT registration includes:
- All educational sessions
- Monday Exhibit Hall Luncheon
- Does NOT include Socials or Banquet
Registration does NOT INCLUDE CEUs which are available for additional pre-purchase.
Don’t forget, if you chose “Bill Me”, PAYMENT MUST BE RECEIVED BEFORE YOUR ARRIVAL.