VRPS E-Update: Vol 16 No 43
NEW: Playground Maintenance Instruction Course
PROTECT CHILDREN FROM PLAYGROUND HAZARDS
The National Recreation and Park Association’s Playground Maintenance Course will provide an understanding of the most prevalent playground hazards and safe maintenance and repair practices. This one-day course (0.6 CEUs) will train on playground safety standards, playground owner responsibilities and will include maintenance and repair discussions on playground equipment, surfacing and site items
- According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, over 240,000 children are injured each year on playgrounds.
- Poor maintenance is one of the leading causes of injuries on playgrounds.
Who Should Attend?
- Maintenance Staff
- Recreation Staff
- University Seniors
- Anyone Responsible for Playgrounds
Leesburg, November 6
Newport News, March 3, 2020
Aquatics Resource Group Fall Seminar
VRPS Aquatics Resource Group is hosting two seminars, both with four different session topics, this fall. Guest speaker, George Deines, with Counsilman-Hunsaker, will present key topics in Risk Management, People Management, Future Planning, and Operations.
See the Flyer
CSA: Special Event Leaders in Central Virginia
This workshop is for professionals who would like to know more about the details that go into planning,successful special events. Topics will cover how to utilize large and small spaces, logistics, how to provide security and ensuring that you provide a strong experience for your families and community. Staff from Richmond Raceway, The Flying Squirrels, and RMC Events will provide us knowledge on how to plan and put on our own special events in our individual localities. Lunch and snacks will be provided.
Wednesday, November 6
Aquatics Resource Group EOY Wrap-Up
- Bring a lunch and see what your peers are up to!
- Limited Seating!
- See the Flyer!
- Questions? Contact ARG Chair Jimmy Lyon.
Monday, December 2 – Kids First Swim School, 13985 Metrotech Drive, Chantilly, VA 20151
Tuesday, December 3 – Miller Center, 301 Grove Street, Lynchburg, VA 24501
2020 VRPS Leadership Orientation
SAVE THE DATE and EARN .1 CEU!
Service Area/Resource Group Upcoming ToDo’s before 10/31/2019:
Northern Service Area Fall Workshop
- Park RX: Park Prescriptions to Improve Health and Well-Being, 12:15pm -1:30pm, Executive Director of Park RX, John Henderson
- PKMove and the Benefits of Fall Prevention and Senior Fitness Programs, 1:45-3pm, Dr. Alexei Wong of Marymount University
Thursday, November 14, 2019
.1 CEU eligible for each session for additional purchase.
Southwestern Service Area Fall Workshop
Another Bag of Tricks – the Fall Edition
Call for Park Ranger and Law Enforcement Training
The Park Operations Resource Group is looking to conduct training for Park Rangers and Park Law Enforcement. It has been over 10 years since VRPS has offered specific training for Park Rangers. Last time it was offered in James City County we had 12 localities and 25 participants attend for a day of professional development and networking. We are looking to reconnect that group and are looking for all localities that have Park Rangers or Park Police to help us develop a data base of Park Rangers. If are or have park rangers in your department please take a moment to email Dan Smith
2020 Leadership Training Institute – Registration and Scholarship Application Open
- Proven Career Advancement – 90% of Directors and Upper Management personnel in Virginia Parks and Recreation Departments have graduated from LTI
- Beautiful Setting – LTI takes place at Wintergreen Resort and utilizes mountain top housing and amenities
- Fun Educational Sessions – LTI prides itself in offering fun, interactive and educational games, activities and presenters centered around bringing out the leader in you
- Networking Opportunities – meet other professionals from around the state to make lasting relationships, share ideas, improve your self confidence and begin forming a support group to last throughout your career
- CEU’s – Earn CEU’s to help maintain your certifications or to help get you on your way to becoming certified
NOTE: LTI is limited to 65 registrants. Unpaid registrants will be placed on the waiting list.
Eastern Service Area Sponsored Memberships
The Eastern Service Area of the Virginia Recreation and Park Society will be offering sponsored professional and student memberships in an effort to promote involvement with VRPS. Candidates will be required to submit a completed application accompanied by a letter of recommendation from a current VRPS member in good standing. Previous or current involvement with VRPS/ESA is not required. Preference will be shown to applicants who have not previously received a sponsored membership benefit from ESA. Applications will be reviewed by a panel. Candidates selected for sponsored membership will be expected to attend ESA/VRPS meetings and/or events throughout the year. Applications are due no later than December 1, 2019 and should be submitted to the ESA Chair, Roberto Ramos, at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Special Events and Marketing Resource Group
Quarterly Meeting and Roundtable – Save the Date!
The next Special Events and Marketing Resource Group Quarterly Meeting is slated for Thursday, January 23, 10am-1pm. This meeting will feature a roundtable lunch and learn session! Come discuss current trends or challenges you may be facing with other professionals like yourself. Special guest, Jason Shriner, Marketing Manager, Manassas Park Department of Parks & Recreation will provide a brief presentation and is tailoring it to your NEEDS.
What challenges are you facing in marketing and special events? What would you like to get out of the training? Email our Training and Education Chair ASAP with any ideas, challenges and current needs.
Come discover new ideas and Network!
Please RSVP by January 15
to JudiAnn Hawkins-Pond, Special Events and Marketing Training and Education Chair, email@example.com
Publication Online Archives and Submission Deadlines
Submit your content for the
- February VRPS Parks & Recreation magazine to magazine editor Amy-Jo Hendrix by January 31.
To view previous VRPS publications, follow the links below – you must login to the website and be recognized as a VRPS member to see the archives:
Please take note of the following deadlines in regards to submitting content for the VRPS publications:
Certified Playground Safety Inspector Course
CPSI certifications are valid for 3 years; is it time to renew?
- protect children from injury due to playground hazards,
- protect your business or agency from costly liabilities,
- open the door to more opportunities for career advancement,
- increase your job mobility and choices even in the face of a tough job market,
- reach not only your short-term job goals, but also position yourself for success in your long-term career, and
- be associated with NRPA‘s strong and long-standing reputation in playground safety
Newport News, March 4-6, 2020
2019 VRPS/Kings Dominion SUPER SAVER Tickets!
Get comp tickets all season!
Kings Dominion and VRPS have partnered to offer one complimentary ticket per 20 Super Saver tickets purchased throughout the operating season!
VRPS now offers 2 ticket types:
- Good Anyday:
- May be redeemed any park operating day EXCEPT park buyout days
- VRPS Super Saver:
- May be redeemed on the following days EXCEPT park buyout days:
- March 30 – May 19
- July 5 – July 31
- September 21 – October 27
- 1 Complimentary ticket is provided for every 20 tickets purchased
The differences between consignment and online tickets are:
- Consignment tickets require a “Member Ticket Program Authorization Form” to be submitted to VRPS.
- Consignment ticket agencies must be VRPS organization members throughout the ticket season.
- Consignment tickets must be ordered from VRPS Central Office and picked up or shipped for a fee.
- Consignment ticket agencies make payment on the tickets they sell to VRPS monthly and return unsold tickets to Central Office by deadline dates.
- Online tickets are purchased via credit card payment through a VRPS/Kings Dominion portal.
- There is a processing fee for each online ticket order.
- Online tickets may not be returned or refunded.
More information, including ticket types and order forms
, is available on the VRPS Ticket Webpage
How to participate as a Consignment Ticket Agency:
- Complete and submit a “Member Ticket Program Authorization Form“.
- Complete and submit ticket order forms for each ticket type that you would like to order.
- We will ship your tickets via UPS unless you would like to pick them up at Central Office. Pay your shipping invoice upon receipt.
- Submit payment forms and payments each month. Your payments will be applied toward your ticket invoices.
- Keep your VRPS membership active throughout the entire ticket program.
- Return unsold tickets to VRPS by COB on return deadline dates so that we may credit your invoices with returned tickets.
- Check your “bubble” on the Kings Dominion consignment ticket agency MAP. Is your contact information correct? This map also appears on the VRPS ticket web pages so that customers can easily find you!
How to participate as a non-consignment ticket agency
: simply use the Kings Dominion
e-ticket portal on the VRPS ticket webpage.
More information, including ticket types and order forms , is available on the VRPS Ticket Webpage
Hands-On Athletic Fields Workshop
A Great Hands-On Approach while earning .2 CEUs!
- basics in agronomic and cultural programs
- what is available in the world of herbicides and precautions to consider when using them on trafficked turf.
Monday, March 16, 2020: Virginia Tech
Tuesday, March 17, 2020: Chesapeake
Wednesday, March 18, 2020: Henrico
Thursday, March 19, 2020: Loudoun