VRPS E-Update: Vol 16 No 34
Congratulations Dan Smith, CPRP
On Wednesday, August 14, 2019 the VRPS
Board of Directors elected Dan Smith, CPRP as President of VRPS for 2020.
Dan Smith, CPRP, is the Deputy Director for Hanover County Parks and Recreation and has been a parks and recreation professional for over thirty years. He has worked in Virginia in a wide variety of roles in recreation, including before and after school, environmental and sports programs, and in parks, including operations, development, and law enforcement. Dan has been a proud member of VRPS for over 25 years and is currently 2019 VRPS Board of Directors Vice President and a founding member of the Park Operations Resource Group.
His one-year term as President will begin January 1, 2020. He will be sworn into office at the annual business meeting on Monday, September 9th during the 2020 VRPS Annual Conference in Tyson’s Corner.
Other 2020 VRPS Board members include:
- Justin Bullock, CPRP, Louisa Co. Parks, Recreation and Tourism
- Dean Crane, CPRP, Blacksburg Parks and Recreation
- Arlana Fauntleroy, MPA, CPRP, James City County Parks and Recreation
- Kat Fish, Prince William County Parks and Recreation
- Aaron Reidmiller, CPRP, Hopewell Recreation & Parks
- Jane Shelhorse, Fredericksburg Parks, Recreation and Public Facilities
- Matt Spruill, CPRP, Colonial Heights Recreation and Parks
- Jim Stutts, CPRP, CAE, Virginia Recreation and Park Society
- Kim Turner, CPRP, CTRS, New Kent Co.Parks and Recreation
- Amanda Walker
Subscribe to the Blog
See what your peers around the Commonwealth are contributing to the VRPS blog
- Enter your email address in the “Follow by Email” block at the top right of vrps-on-the.blogspot.com,
- Complete the verification from the Feedburner popup, and
- Confirm via the email you will receive at the submitted address.
To submit content, send your verbiage and graphics to firstname.lastname@example.org
2019 VRPS Annual Conference – Save the Dates!
Saturday, September 7 – Tuesday, September 10, 2019
We look forward to seeing you in Tyson’s Corner for 2019 VRPS Annual Conference : “Growing to New Heights”!
Note: CEUs and extra tickets are not part of your general conference registration.
Full Delegate registration includes:
- All educational sessions Sunday – Tuesday
- Saturday Welcome Social
- Sunday Social
- Sunday Exhibit Evening Reception
- Monday Exhibit Hall Luncheon
- Monday Awards Banquet Dinner
- Monday Social
- Tuesday Exhibitor Expo
Sunday Delegate registration includes:
- All educational sessions
- Opening Session/Keynote Speaker
- Exhibit Hall Evening Reception
Monday Delegate registration includes:
- All educational sessions
- Exhibit Hall Luncheon
Tuesday Delegate registration includes:
Tuesday Delegate EXPO registration includes:
- Expo Breakfast
- Expo Education Sessions and Demonstrations
Student Delegate registration includes:
- All educational sessions
- Monday Exhibit Hall Luncheon
- Does NOT include Socials or Banquet
Don’t forget, if you chose “Bill Me”, PAYMENT MUST BE RECEIVED BEFORE YOUR ARRIVAL.
Senior Resource Group Fall Workshop
Aging: Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow
Join SRG for this one day workshop for recreation professionals, directors, and therapists who provide programming services within community recreation, adult daycare, senior centers, assisted living, long-term care, or clinical settings.
Friday, October 18, 2019
230 Karl Linn Drive
North Chesterfield, VA 23225
ARG Fall Aquatic Facility Operator Course
“The National Recreation and Park Association offers the premier certification program in swimming pool operations, the Aquatic Facility Operator certification. The AFO program provides the most comprehensive and up-to-date training for pool operators and includes information on water chemistry, disinfection, mechanical systems, operations, healthy pools, and safety.” – NRPA
Wednesday, September 11 – Thursday, September 12, 2019
NEW: Playground Maintenance Instruction Course
PROTECT CHILDREN FROM PLAYGROUND HAZARDS
The National Recreation and Park Association’s Playground Maintenance Course will provide an understanding of the most prevalent playground hazards and safe maintenance and repair practices. This one-day course (0.6 CEUs) will train on playground safety standards, playground owner responsibilities and will include maintenance and repair discussions on playground equipment, surfacing and site items
- According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, over 240,000 children are injured each year on playgrounds.
- Poor maintenance is one of the leading causes of injuries on playgrounds.
Who Should Attend?
- Maintenance Staff
- Recreation Staff
- University Seniors
- Anyone Responsible for Playgrounds
*UPDATE AS OF 8/15/2019: the Tuesday, 9/17 Leesburg course is currently full. Please email email@example.com if you would like to be waitlisted for a potential Monday, 9/17 Leesburg course (same hours). If there are enough interested delegates, the course can be scheduled.
Leesburg, September 17, 2019
Certified Playground Safety Inspector Course
CPSI certifications are valid for 3 years; is it time to renew?
- protect children from injury due to playground hazards,
- protect your business or agency from costly liabilities,
- open the door to more opportunities for career advancement,
- increase your job mobility and choices even in the face of a tough job market,
- reach not only your short-term job goals, but also position yourself for success in your long-term career, and
- be associated with NRPA‘s strong and long-standing reputation in playground safety
Leesburg, September 18-20, 2019
Publication Online Archives and Submission Deadlines
Submit your content for the
- October 2019 VRPS Presidents Newsletter VRPS President Kim Turner by September 15.
- November VRPS Parks & Recreation magazine to magazine editor Amy-Jo Hendrix by October 15.
To view previous VRPS publications, follow the links below – you must login to the website and be recognized as a VRPS member to see the archives:
Please take note of the following deadlines in regards to submitting content for the VRPS publications:
2019 ESA CPRP Bootcamp
Professional certification is extremely valuable to professionals within the field of parks and recreation, the organization they work for and the public that they serve. By achieving certification you will demonstrate your high level of commitment and knowledge in the field of parks and recreation, career and professional accomplishments, and your dedication to professional development.
Eastern Service Area’s “CPRP Bootcamp” will provide you with an overview of the Certified Park and Recreation Professional (CPRP) certification administered by the National Recreation and Park Association. Some colleges and universities have begun to integrate the CPRP exam content into curriculum, not only to advocate for professional certification, but also to better prepare students for when they sit for the CPRP exam. One pilot school’s data of the process will be shared. Dr. Eddie Hill, CPRP will facilitate the workshop.
WHEN : Friday, October 4, 2019 from 9:00am-12:00pm
WHERE : Old Dominion University, 5115 Hampton Blvd, Student Recreation Center, SRC 1009
Norfolk, VA 23529-0196
Location Phone Number : 757-683-4881
Questions? Contact Roberto Ramos (757-385-0474)
James K. Cole Scholarship Deadline is October 15, 2019
This $2000 scholarship was developed in memory of James K. Cole, a Parks and Recreation Professional from the City of Virginia Beach, who was dedicated to the profession. As a memorial to his life’s work, an academic scholarship was established in his name.
The scholarship is designed to assist junior, senior and graduate students majoring in the Leisure Service field who can demonstrate a need for financial assistance.
- Must have a current grade point average of at least 3.0.
- Must be have achieved sophomore or junior status at time of application or be a graduate student.
- Must be pursuing a major in the Leisure Service Field.
- Must be a resident of the Commonwealth of Virginia at the time of application.
- Must, through follow-up documentation, demonstrate financial need.
Criteria for Selection:
- Past course work in leisure service field.
- Financial need.
- Volunteerism and professional involvement.
- Quality of reference.
The online scholarship application must be submitted by COB October 15, 2019.
Scholarship preference will be given to those individuals who have demonstrated a commitment to the profession through membership in VRPS and the Foundation of VRPS.
Keep Your Member Record Current
- Have you recently earned your CPSI, CTRS, CPRP or other certification?
- Has your title, designation, email address, or name changed?
- Do you want to receive correspondence regarding Senior, Aquatics, Special Events, or Park Operation Resource Groups?
Your member record is available in the membership directory, and it is also used to “stuff your envelope” at member functions – badges, ribbons, and correspondence.
Update your profile.
- Login to www.vrps.com.
- Select “View/Edit Profile”.
- Select “Edit/View Information”.
- Be sure to “Save” at the bottom of the page!
Aquatics Resource Group Fall Seminar
VRPS Aquatics Resource Group is hosting two seminars, both with four different session topics, this fall. Guest speaker, George Deines, with Counsilman-Hunsaker, will present key topics in Risk Management, People Management, Future Planning, and Operations.
See the Flyer
Save the Date
VRPS Central Service Area is planning a Special Events workshop in the fall. More details will be available soon – mark your calendar!
Wednesday, November 6
Northern Service Area Fall Workshop
- Park RX: Park Prescriptions to Improve Health and Well-Being, 12:15pm -1:30pm, Executive Director of Park RX, John Henderson
- PKMove and the Benefits of Fall Prevention and Senior Fitness Programs, 1:45-3pm, Dr. Alexei Wong of Marymount University
Thursday, November 14, 2019
.1 CEU eligible for each session for additional purchase.
Apply Now for Three-Year Childhood Obesity Prevention Grants
The goal of this funding is to improve health outcomes for Virginia’s youth through addressing the community factors that contribute to obesity. VFHY will fund Healthy Communities Action Teams (HCATs) comprised of community groups, collaborative partnerships, and coalitions to build and sustain state and local capacity through the equitable and community-based implementation of promising practices and activities emphasizing policy, systems and environmental change.
Grant Period: July 1, 2020 – June 30, 2023
Maximum Grant Awards: $30,000 per year, $90,000 total for three years
Completed on-line proposals are due no later than 5:00pm EST on October 16, 2019.
All organizations and groups (Offerors) planning to submit a proposal, that do NOT currently have an HCAT grant, must attend one of seven Pre-Proposal Conferences to learn about the specific requirements of RFP #852P021. It is also strongly recommended that current HCAT grantees attend as well to ensure they have the most up-to-date information.
2020 Leadership Training Institute – Registration and Scholarship Application Open
- Proven Career Advancement – 90% of Directors and Upper Management personnel in Virginia Parks and Recreation Departments have graduated from LTI
- Beautiful Setting – LTI takes place at Wintergreen Resort and utilizes mountain top housing and amenities
- Fun Educational Sessions – LTI prides itself in offering fun, interactive and educational games, activities and presenters centered around bringing out the leader in you
- Networking Opportunities – meet other professionals from around the state to make lasting relationships, share ideas, improve your self confidence and begin forming a support group to last throughout your career
- CEU’s – Earn CEU’s to help maintain your certifications or to help get you on your way to becoming certified
NOTE: LTI is limited to 65 registrants. Unpaid registrants will be placed on the waiting list.
2019 VRPS/Kings Dominion SUPER SAVER Tickets!
Get comp tickets all season!
Kings Dominion and VRPS have partnered to offer one complimentary ticket per 20 Super Saver tickets purchased throughout the operating season!
VRPS now offers 2 ticket types:
- Good Anyday:
- May be redeemed any park operating day EXCEPT park buyout days
- VRPS Super Saver:
- May be redeemed on the following days EXCEPT park buyout days:
- March 30 – May 19
- July 5 – July 31
- September 21 – October 27
- 1 Complimentary ticket is provided for every 20 tickets purchased
The differences between consignment and online tickets are:
- Consignment tickets require a “Member Ticket Program Authorization Form” to be submitted to VRPS.
- Consignment ticket agencies must be VRPS organization members throughout the ticket season.
- Consignment tickets must be ordered from VRPS Central Office and picked up or shipped for a fee.
- Consignment ticket agencies make payment on the tickets they sell to VRPS monthly and return unsold tickets to Central Office by deadline dates.
- Online tickets are purchased via credit card payment through a VRPS/Kings Dominion portal.
- There is a processing fee for each online ticket order.
- Online tickets may not be returned or refunded.
More information, including ticket types and order forms
, is available on the VRPS Ticket Webpage
How to participate as a Consignment Ticket Agency:
- Complete and submit a “Member Ticket Program Authorization Form“.
- Complete and submit ticket order forms for each ticket type that you would like to order.
- We will ship your tickets via UPS unless you would like to pick them up at Central Office. Pay your shipping invoice upon receipt.
- Submit payment forms and payments each month. Your payments will be applied toward your ticket invoices.
- Keep your VRPS membership active throughout the entire ticket program.
- Return unsold tickets to VRPS by COB on return deadline dates so that we may credit your invoices with returned tickets.
- Check your “bubble” on the Kings Dominion consignment ticket agency MAP. Is your contact information correct? This map also appears on the VRPS ticket web pages so that customers can easily find you!
How to participate as a non-consignment ticket agency
: simply use the Kings Dominion
e-ticket portal on the VRPS ticket webpage.
More information, including ticket types and order forms , is available on the VRPS Ticket Webpage
Hands-On Athletic Fields Workshop
A Great Hands-On Approach while earning .2 CEUs!
- basics in agronomic and cultural programs
- what is available in the world of herbicides and precautions to consider when using them on trafficked turf.
Monday, March 16, 2020: Virginia Tech
Tuesday, March 17, 2020: Chesapeake
Wednesday, March 18, 2020: Henrico
Thursday, March 19, 2020: Loudoun
2019 VSG Results and Save-the-Dates
Save the dates for 2020 VSG, a 2021 National Senior Games qualifying event:
- Pickleball: Friday May, 8 – Saturday, May 9
- All Other Events: Wednesday, May 13 – Saturday, May 16
Member Spotlight: Marked Promotions
At Marked Promotions
, we believe that our process should provide you with immediate value.
We understand that there are a lot of moving parts in any promotional campaign. Our Sales, Creative, and Production teams work together with you from start to completion of your project. All of our departments are able to collaborate under one roof. This gives us complete control of the production process and the final outcome of your promotional merchandise.
We like to think of our relationship with you as a partnership. Rather than simply sending you a catalog in the mail and having you choose products, our knowledgeable Sales team is here to listen to your needs. They will be able to suggest innovative new ideas, based on your brand image and direction, and make product recommendations that will set your business apart from your competition. Our dedicated Sales team will guarantee that you get the highest quality products, with the most competitive pricing to best fit your business needs.
Design for promotional campaigns presents its own unique set of challenges and our Design team is well versed in these challenges. They will work closely with our Sales team, to not only make sure that your message is clear across every medium, but that your message is also on brand.