VRPS E-Update: Vol 16 No 33
Congratulations to 2020 VRPS Elected Board Members
The following professionals were elected to the following VRPS Boards during the 2020 Election which took place 7/1-7/31/2019.
To see full Board listings, visit each webpage as hyperlinked.
- Justin Bullock, Louisa Co. Parks, Recreation & Tourism
- Arlana Fauntleroy, James City Co. Parks & Recreation
- Jane Shelhorse, Fredericksburg Parks, Rec & Events
- Amanda Walker
- Ashley Fink, Prince William County Schools Aquatic Center
- Molly Minch, Winchester Parks & Recreation
- Josh Sharitz, Blacksburg Parks & Recreation
- Tabitha Martinez, Hopewell Recreation & Parks
- Sharon Entsminger, Chesterfield Co. Parks and Recreation
- Thurman Diamond,, Chesapeake Parks, Recreation and Tourism
- Ashley Jones, City of Norfolk Recreation, Parks and Open Space
- Telia Neal, Suffolk Parks & Recreation
- Roberta Korzen, Fairfax County Park Authority
- Kim Graves, Chesterfield Co. Parks and Recreation
- Tracy Newsom – James City Co. Parks & Recreation
- Tom Hoy
- Brittany Clem, Harrisonburg Parks and Recreation
Senior Resource Group Fall Workshop
Aging: Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow
Join SRG for this one day workshop for recreation professionals, directors, and therapists who provide programming services within community recreation, adult daycare, senior centers, assisted living, long-term care, or clinical settings.
Friday, October 18, 2019
230 Karl Linn Drive
North Chesterfield, VA 23225
Subscribe to the Blog
See what your peers around the Commonwealth are contributing to the VRPS blog
- Enter your email address in the “Follow by Email” block at the top right of vrps-on-the.blogspot.com,
- Complete the verification from the Feedburner popup, and
- Confirm via the email you will receive at the submitted address.
To submit content, send your verbiage and graphics to firstname.lastname@example.org
2019 VRPS Annual Conference – Save the Dates!
Saturday, September 7 – Tuesday, September 10, 2019
We look forward to seeing you in Tyson’s Corner for 2019 VRPS Annual Conference : “Growing to New Heights”!
Note: CEUs and extra tickets are not part of your general conference registration.
Full Delegate registration includes:
- All educational sessions Sunday – Tuesday
- Saturday Welcome Social
- Sunday Social
- Sunday Exhibit Evening Reception
- Monday Exhibit Hall Luncheon
- Monday Awards Banquet Dinner
- Monday Social
- Tuesday Exhibitor Expo
Sunday Delegate registration includes:
- All educational sessions
- Opening Session/Keynote Speaker
- Exhibit Hall Evening Reception
Monday Delegate registration includes:
- All educational sessions
- Exhibit Hall Luncheon
Tuesday Delegate registration includes:
Tuesday Delegate EXPO registration includes:
- Expo Breakfast
- Expo Education Sessions and Demonstrations
Student Delegate registration includes:
- All educational sessions
- Monday Exhibit Hall Luncheon
- Does NOT include Socials or Banquet
Don’t forget, if you chose “Bill Me”, PAYMENT MUST BE RECEIVED BEFORE YOUR ARRIVAL.
ARG Fall Aquatic Facility Operator Course
“The National Recreation and Park Association offers the premier certification program in swimming pool operations, the Aquatic Facility Operator certification. The AFO program provides the most comprehensive and up-to-date training for pool operators and includes information on water chemistry, disinfection, mechanical systems, operations, healthy pools, and safety.” – NRPA
Wednesday, September 11 – Thursday, September 12, 2019
NEW: Playground Maintenance Instruction Course
PROTECT CHILDREN FROM PLAYGROUND HAZARDS
The National Recreation and Park Association’s Playground Maintenance Course will provide an understanding of the most prevalent playground hazards and safe maintenance and repair practices. This one-day course (0.6 CEUs) will train on playground safety standards, playground owner responsibilities and will include maintenance and repair discussions on playground equipment, surfacing and site items
- According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, over 240,000 children are injured each year on playgrounds.
- Poor maintenance is one of the leading causes of injuries on playgrounds.
Who Should Attend?
- Maintenance Staff
- Recreation Staff
- University Seniors
- Anyone Responsible for Playgrounds
Leesburg, September 17, 2019
Certified Playground Safety Inspector Course
CPSI certifications are valid for 3 years; is it time to renew?
- protect children from injury due to playground hazards,
- protect your business or agency from costly liabilities,
- open the door to more opportunities for career advancement,
- increase your job mobility and choices even in the face of a tough job market,
- reach not only your short-term job goals, but also position yourself for success in your long-term career, and
- be associated with NRPA‘s strong and long-standing reputation in playground safety
Leesburg, September 18-20, 2019
Publication Online Archives and Submission Deadlines
Submit your content for the
- October 2019 VRPS Presidents Newsletter VRPS President Kim Turner by September 15.
- November VRPS Parks & Recreation magazine to magazine editor Amy-Jo Hendrix by October 15.
To view previous VRPS publications, follow the links below – you must login to the website and be recognized as a VRPS member to see the archives:
Please take note of the following deadlines in regards to submitting content for the VRPS publications:
2019 ESA CPRP Bootcamp
Professional certification is extremely valuable to professionals within the field of parks and recreation, the organization they work for and the public that they serve. By achieving certification you will demonstrate your high level of commitment and knowledge in the field of parks and recreation, career and professional accomplishments, and your dedication to professional development.
Eastern Service Area’s “CPRP Bootcamp” will provide you with an overview of the Certified Park and Recreation Professional (CPRP) certification administered by the National Recreation and Park Association. Some colleges and universities have begun to integrate the CPRP exam content into curriculum, not only to advocate for professional certification, but also to better prepare students for when they sit for the CPRP exam. One pilot school’s data of the process will be shared. Dr. Eddie Hill, CPRP will facilitate the workshop.
WHEN : Friday, October 4, 2019 from 9:00am-12:00pm
WHERE : Old Dominion University, 5115 Hampton Blvd, Student Recreation Center, SRC 1009
Norfolk, VA 23529-0196
Location Phone Number : 757-683-4881
Questions? Contact Roberto Ramos (757-385-0474)
James K. Cole Scholarship Deadline is October 15, 2019
This $2000 scholarship was developed in memory of James K. Cole, a Parks and Recreation Professional from the City of Virginia Beach, who was dedicated to the profession. As a memorial to his life’s work, an academic scholarship was established in his name.
The scholarship is designed to assist junior, senior and graduate students majoring in the Leisure Service field who can demonstrate a need for financial assistance.
- Must have a current grade point average of at least 3.0.
- Must be have achieved sophomore or junior status at time of application or be a graduate student.
- Must be pursuing a major in the Leisure Service Field.
- Must be a resident of the Commonwealth of Virginia at the time of application.
- Must, through follow-up documentation, demonstrate financial need.
Criteria for Selection:
- Past course work in leisure service field.
- Financial need.
- Volunteerism and professional involvement.
- Quality of reference.
The online scholarship application must be submitted by COB October 15, 2019.
Scholarship preference will be given to those individuals who have demonstrated a commitment to the profession through membership in VRPS and the Foundation of VRPS.
Keep Your Member Record Current
- Have you recently earned your CPSI, CTRS, CPRP or other certification?
- Has your title, designation, email address, or name changed?
- Do you want to receive correspondence regarding Senior, Aquatics, Special Events, or Park Operation Resource Groups?
Your member record is available in the membership directory, and it is also used to “stuff your envelope” at member functions – badges, ribbons, and correspondence.
Update your profile.
- Login to www.vrps.com.
- Select “View/Edit Profile”.
- Select “Edit/View Information”.
- Be sure to “Save” at the bottom of the page!
Aquatics Resource Group Fall Seminar
VRPS Aquatics Resource Group is hosting two seminars, both with four different session topics, this fall. Guest speaker, George Deines, with Counsilman-Hunsaker, will present key topics in Risk Management, People Management, Future Planning, and Operations.
See the Flyer
Save the Date
VRPS Central Service Area is planning a Special Events workshop in the fall. More details will be available soon – mark your calendar!
Wednesday, November 6
Northern Service Area Fall Workshop
- Park RX: Park Prescriptions to Improve Health and Well-Being, 12:15pm -1:30pm, Executive Director of Park RX, John Henderson
- PKMove and the Benefits of Fall Prevention and Senior Fitness Programs, 1:45-3pm, Dr. Alexei Wong of Marymount University
Thursday, November 14, 2019
.1 CEU eligible for each session for additional purchase.
2020 Leadership Training Institute – Registration and Scholarship Application Open
- Proven Career Advancement – 90% of Directors and Upper Management personnel in Virginia Parks and Recreation Departments have graduated from LTI
- Beautiful Setting – LTI takes place at Wintergreen Resort and utilizes mountain top housing and amenities
- Fun Educational Sessions – LTI prides itself in offering fun, interactive and educational games, activities and presenters centered around bringing out the leader in you
- Networking Opportunities – meet other professionals from around the state to make lasting relationships, share ideas, improve your self confidence and begin forming a support group to last throughout your career
- CEU’s – Earn CEU’s to help maintain your certifications or to help get you on your way to becoming certified
NOTE: LTI is limited to 65 registrants. Unpaid registrants will be placed on the waiting list.
2019 VRPS/Kings Dominion SUPER SAVER Tickets!
Get comp tickets all season!
Kings Dominion and VRPS have partnered to offer one complimentary ticket per 20 Super Saver tickets purchased throughout the operating season!
VRPS now offers 2 ticket types:
- Good Anyday:
- May be redeemed any park operating day EXCEPT park buyout days
- VRPS Super Saver:
- May be redeemed on the following days EXCEPT park buyout days:
- March 30 – May 19
- July 5 – July 31
- September 21 – October 27
- 1 Complimentary ticket is provided for every 20 tickets purchased
The differences between consignment and online tickets are:
- Consignment tickets require a “Member Ticket Program Authorization Form” to be submitted to VRPS.
- Consignment ticket agencies must be VRPS organization members throughout the ticket season.
- Consignment tickets must be ordered from VRPS Central Office and picked up or shipped for a fee.
- Consignment ticket agencies make payment on the tickets they sell to VRPS monthly and return unsold tickets to Central Office by deadline dates.
- Online tickets are purchased via credit card payment through a VRPS/Kings Dominion portal.
- There is a processing fee for each online ticket order.
- Online tickets may not be returned or refunded.
More information, including ticket types and order forms
, is available on the VRPS Ticket Webpage
How to participate as a Consignment Ticket Agency:
- Complete and submit a “Member Ticket Program Authorization Form“.
- Complete and submit ticket order forms for each ticket type that you would like to order.
- We will ship your tickets via UPS unless you would like to pick them up at Central Office. Pay your shipping invoice upon receipt.
- Submit payment forms and payments each month. Your payments will be applied toward your ticket invoices.
- Keep your VRPS membership active throughout the entire ticket program.
- Return unsold tickets to VRPS by COB on return deadline dates so that we may credit your invoices with returned tickets.
- Check your “bubble” on the Kings Dominion consignment ticket agency MAP. Is your contact information correct? This map also appears on the VRPS ticket web pages so that customers can easily find you!
How to participate as a non-consignment ticket agency
: simply use the Kings Dominion
e-ticket portal on the VRPS ticket webpage.
More information, including ticket types and order forms , is available on the VRPS Ticket Webpage
Hands-On Athletic Fields Workshop
A Great Hands-On Approach while earning .2 CEUs!
- basics in agronomic and cultural programs
- what is available in the world of herbicides and precautions to consider when using them on trafficked turf.
Monday, March 16, 2020: Virginia Tech
Tuesday, March 17, 2020: Chesapeake
Wednesday, March 18, 2020: Henrico
Thursday, March 19, 2020: Loudoun
VRPS Website Forums
As a privilege of membership, the VRPS website provides topical forums to which members can subscribe and share information and questions.
- Go to the Forums webpage – you must login as member.
- Select the forum(s) that you are interested in by clicking on the name(s).
- Click the checkbox to subscribe on the forum page.
You can also see post histories for each on the respective topical forums.
2019 VSG Results and Save-the-Dates
Save the dates for 2020 VSG, a 2021 National Senior Games qualifying event:
- Pickleball: Friday May, 8 – Saturday, May 9
- All Other Events: Wednesday, May 13 – Saturday, May 16
Member Spotlight: Great Southern Recreation
In your community, life can be better than it is today.
IT IS TRUE! Beautiful outdoor spaces create vibrant centers of interaction and foster relationship building. Those spaces play a key role in establishing a community member’s sense of “home”… but successful outdoor spaces don’t happen by accident.
And you’ve got one chance to get this right… a failed, public project that results in regret is simply not an option. This opportunity won’t come around again, so we have to be laser focused on the end goal. The results have to be safe, exciting, and ready for long-term use and enjoyment.
Great Southern Recreation
will listen to your dream and come alongside you to connect all the dots and assist in making them into reality. From an initial, thoughtful design to planning future maintenance cycles, we’re a long-term partner you can trust to ensure success for years to come.
To get started, schedule a meeting. There’s no commitment. There’s no charge. There is no sales person that will hound you for life. There is a committed expert who’s available to meet you on your site in person to listen.