VRPS E-Update: Vol 16 No 29
2020 VRPS Board of Directors and Service Area/Resource Group Board Ballots
All ballots for 2020 Service Area and Resource Group boards as well as the VRPS Board of Directors CLOSE 7/31.
- Only individuals with voting membership types are eligible to vote: Professional with Agency, Professional, Retired, Life, and College/University Representatives.
- Individuals may cast only one vote per ballot.
- Individuals may vote for only one Service Area, determined by the geographic location in which they are employed or reside. Click here for a Service Area map.
- Write-in candidates are permissible.
List of Ballots:
Subscribe to the Blog
See what your peers around the Commonwealth are contributing to the VRPS blog
- Enter your email address in the “Follow by Email” block at the top right of vrps-on-the.blogspot.com,
- Complete the verification from the Feedburner popup, and
- Confirm via the email you will receive at the submitted address.
To submit content, send your verbiage and graphics to firstname.lastname@example.org
2019 VRPS Annual Conference – Save the Dates!
Saturday, September 7 – Tuesday, September 10, 2019
We look forward to seeing you in Tyson’s Corner for 2019 VRPS Annual Conference : “Growing to New Heights”!
Note: CEUs and extra tickets are not part of your general conference registration.
Full Delegate registration includes:
- All educational sessions Sunday – Tuesday
- Saturday Welcome Social
- Sunday Social
- Sunday Exhibit Evening Reception
- Monday Exhibit Hall Luncheon
- Monday Awards Banquet Dinner
- Monday Social
- Tuesday Exhibitor Expo
Sunday Delegate registration includes:
- All educational sessions
- Opening Session/Keynote Speaker
- Exhibit Hall Evening Reception
Monday Delegate registration includes:
- All educational sessions
- Exhibit Hall Luncheon
Tuesday Delegate registration includes:
Tuesday Delegate EXPO registration includes:
- Expo Breakfast
- Expo Education Sessions and Demonstrations
Student Delegate registration includes:
- All educational sessions
- Monday Exhibit Hall Luncheon
- Does NOT include Socials or Banquet
Don’t forget, if you chose “Bill Me”, PAYMENT MUST BE RECEIVED BEFORE YOUR ARRIVAL.
NEW: Playground Maintenance Instruction Course
PROTECT CHILDREN FROM PLAYGROUND HAZARDS
The National Recreation and Park Association’s Playground Maintenance Course will provide an understanding of the most prevalent playground hazards and safe maintenance and repair practices. This one-day course (0.6 CEUs) will train on playground safety standards, playground owner responsibilities and will include maintenance and repair discussions on playground equipment, surfacing and site items
- According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, over 240,000 children are injured each year on playgrounds.
- Poor maintenance is one of the leading causes of injuries on playgrounds.
Who Should Attend?
- Maintenance Staff
- Recreation Staff
- University Seniors
- Anyone Responsible for Playgrounds
Leesburg, September 17, 2019
News from the Virginia Department of Health
Tobacco Free Schools & Tobacco 21
Governor Ralph Northam recently signed House Bill 2384, which will require all local school boards to develop and implement a comprehensive tobacco-free policy banning the use and distribution of any tobacco product or nicotine vapor product on a school bus, on school property, and at on-site and off-site school-sponsored activities.
This new legislation is also inclusive of all recreation activity that occurs on school property, to include athletic fields, bleachers. Parking lots, etc. associated with the school.
Governor Northam also signed House Bill HB2748
that raises the age to purchase and use tobacco products to 21 years old.
Both laws went into effect on July 1, 2019.
Certified Playground Safety Inspector Course
CPSI certifications are valid for 3 years; is it time to renew?
- protect children from injury due to playground hazards,
- protect your business or agency from costly liabilities,
- open the door to more opportunities for career advancement,
- increase your job mobility and choices even in the face of a tough job market,
- reach not only your short-term job goals, but also position yourself for success in your long-term career, and
- be associated with NRPA‘s strong and long-standing reputation in playground safety
Leesburg, September 18-20, 2019
Publication Online Archives and Submission Deadlines
||Click to view the June 2019 VRPS Magazine
Submit your content for the
- August 2019 VRPS Presidents Newsletter VRPS President Kim Turner by July 15.
- November VRPS Parks & Recreation magazine to magazine editor Amy-Jo Hendrix by October 15.
To view previous VRPS publications, follow the links below – you must login to the website and be recognized as a VRPS member to see the archives:
Please take note of the following deadlines in regards to submitting content for the VRPS publications:
2019 ESA CPRP Bootcamp
Professional certification is extremely valuable to professionals within the field of parks and recreation, the organization they work for and the public that they serve. By achieving certification you will demonstrate your high level of commitment and knowledge in the field of parks and recreation, career and professional accomplishments, and your dedication to professional development.
Eastern Service Area’s “CPRP Bootcamp” will provide you with an overview of the Certified Park and Recreation Professional (CPRP) certification administered by the National Recreation and Park Association. Some colleges and universities have begun to integrate the CPRP exam content into curriculum, not only to advocate for professional certification, but also to better prepare students for when they sit for the CPRP exam. One pilot school’s data of the process will be shared. Dr. Eddie Hill, CPRP will facilitate the workshop.
WHEN : Friday, October 4, 2019 from 9:00am-12:00pm
WHERE : Old Dominion University, 5115 Hampton Blvd, Student Recreation Center, SRC 1009
Norfolk, VA 23529-0196
Location Phone Number : 757-683-4881
Questions? Contact Roberto Ramos (757-385-0474)
Senior Resource Group Fall Workshop
Aging: Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow
Join SRG for this one day workshop for recreation professionals, directors, and therapists who provide programming services within community recreation, adult daycare, senior centers, assisted living, long-term care, or clinical settings.
Friday, October 18, 2019
230 Karl Linn Drive
North Chesterfield, VA 23225
Save the Dates
VRPS Aquatics Resource Group is hosting two seminars, both with four different session topics, this fall. Guest speaker, George Deines, with Counsilman-Hunsaker, will present key topics in Risk Management, People Management, Future Planning, and Operations. More details will be available later this summer – mark your calendar!
Save the Date
VRPS Central Service Area is planning a Special Events workshop in the fall. More details will be available soon – mark your calendar!
Wednesday, November 6
Northern Service Area Fall Workshop
- Park RX: Park Prescriptions to Improve Health and Well-Being, 12:15pm -1:30pm, Executive Director of Park RX, John Henderson
- PKMove and the Benefits of Fall Prevention and Senior Fitness Programs, 1:45-3pm, Dr. Alexei Wong of Marymount University
Thursday, November 14, 2019
.1 CEU eligible for each session for additional purchase.
What’s Happening When?
your Service Area, Resource Group, or Committee web and calendar manager to add events! Or contact email@example.com
2020 Leadership Training Institute – Registration and Scholarship Application Open
- Proven Career Advancement – 90% of Directors and Upper Management personnel in Virginia Parks and Recreation Departments have graduated from LTI
- Beautiful Setting – LTI takes place at Wintergreen Resort and utilizes mountain top housing and amenities
- Fun Educational Sessions – LTI prides itself in offering fun, interactive and educational games, activities and presenters centered around bringing out the leader in you
- Networking Opportunities – meet other professionals from around the state to make lasting relationships, share ideas, improve your self confidence and begin forming a support group to last throughout your career
- CEU’s – Earn CEU’s to help maintain your certifications or to help get you on your way to becoming certified
NOTE: LTI is limited to 65 registrants. Unpaid registrants will be placed on the waiting list.
2019 VRPS/Kings Dominion SUPER SAVER Tickets!
Get comp tickets all season!
Kings Dominion and VRPS have partnered to offer one complimentary ticket per 20 Super Saver tickets purchased throughout the operating season!
VRPS now offers 2 ticket types:
- Good Anyday:
- May be redeemed any park operating day EXCEPT park buyout days
- VRPS Super Saver:
- May be redeemed on the following days EXCEPT park buyout days:
- March 30 – May 19
- July 5 – July 31
- September 21 – October 27
- 1 Complimentary ticket is provided for every 20 tickets purchased
The differences between consignment and online tickets are:
- Consignment tickets require a “Member Ticket Program Authorization Form” to be submitted to VRPS.
- Consignment ticket agencies must be VRPS organization members throughout the ticket season.
- Consignment tickets must be ordered from VRPS Central Office and picked up or shipped for a fee.
- Consignment ticket agencies make payment on the tickets they sell to VRPS monthly and return unsold tickets to Central Office by deadline dates.
- Online tickets are purchased via credit card payment through a VRPS/Kings Dominion portal.
- There is a processing fee for each online ticket order.
- Online tickets may not be returned or refunded.
More information, including ticket types and order forms
, is available on the VRPS Ticket Webpage
How to participate as a Consignment Ticket Agency:
- Complete and submit a “Member Ticket Program Authorization Form“.
- Complete and submit ticket order forms for each ticket type that you would like to order.
- We will ship your tickets via UPS unless you would like to pick them up at Central Office. Pay your shipping invoice upon receipt.
- Submit payment forms and payments each month. Your payments will be applied toward your ticket invoices.
- Keep your VRPS membership active throughout the entire ticket program.
- Return unsold tickets to VRPS by COB on return deadline dates so that we may credit your invoices with returned tickets.
- Check your “bubble” on the Kings Dominion consignment ticket agency MAP. Is your contact information correct? This map also appears on the VRPS ticket web pages so that customers can easily find you!
How to participate as a non-consignment ticket agency
: simply use the Kings Dominion
e-ticket portal on the VRPS ticket webpage.
More information, including ticket types and order forms , is available on the VRPS Ticket Webpage
2019 VRPS Final Legislative Report Available
Your 2019 VRPS Legislative Committee Leaders are:
Planning a VRPS Workshop or Function?
Here’s a checklist to help:
- Plan your event. Use your VRPS liaison for questions and consultation.
- Prepare your event flyers/brochures.
- Update your webpage with event content, including your flyers. Contact your VRPS website manager to promote your event on your webpage (login to www.vrps.com and see the list of website managers here: https://www.vrps.com/AboutUs/ContactUs.aspx).
- Add your event to the VRPS calendar; your VRPS website manager can do this as well.
- Complete your CEU Session Proposal Form, if pertinent, and submit it through the online form.
- Complete and submit your VRPS online registration setup request. Keep in mind that if you are offering CEUs, a portion of each registration fee will go to the CEU Committee, depending on the registration period: $10 early, $15 regular, $20 late.
- Submit your Eupdate event promotion block to firstname.lastname@example.org. Eupdate deadline is COB Fridays. Please include graphics in picture format (.JPG or .PNG preferred).
- Send “fresh” content for your event weekly to email@example.com to run in subsequent weeks.
Member Spotlight: Swing Kingdom
For well over a decade, Swing Kingdom
has been equipping parents with more than just swings and slides. Our safe and durable playsets launch active imaginations from a solid platform of maintenance-free construction. As a family operated manufacturer of premier vinyl swing sets
, we strive to design and build fine quality, affordable swing sets perfect for children of all ages.
For loads of fun and family time, count on Swing Kingdom. From the 500 square foot building where we started our business in 2000, to our new 43,000 square foot facility, Swing Kingdom has always focused on creating innovative designs and using long-lasting, environmentally-safe materials to build a kid’s favorite place to play outside.
We were the first manufacturer to combine PVC and structural wood, along with stainless steel corner brackets and hardware for superior strength. Today, we continue to use only the finest, quality materials to ensure safe, durable swing sets built to offer years of enjoyment.
Swing Kingdom designs and creates high-quality customizable swing sets, playsets, and playhouses for children all around the United States. Our playsets are loaded with activities that will spark every child’s imagination and encourage daily physical activity and never-ending fun! That is why, from rock walls to Turbo Twister slides, periscopes to sandboxes, we offer accessories to match your distinct requirements.