VRPS E-Update: Vol 16 No 15
NSA Spring Workshop
Facility Reservations; Building a Culture of Service – Chuck Salem, 12:15-1:30pm
In today’s digital and hyper-tasking world, the notion of service is sometimes lost. Customers have varied service experiences that can impact their overall impressions of your venue. In this session, we will go beyond the basics of customer service skills and learn how, as a manager or director of a department, you can develop a culture of service.
Managing and Resolving Conflicts – Cori Talbot, 1:45-3pm
Understand how to balance sales goals with facility management. Presentation reviews the management of clients, event spaces, and branding, while reaching specified quantities of bookings.
|2019 VRPS Awards Application Open
Recognizing Excellence in 2018
- Nominees must be VRPS members at the time of award application submission as well as the Awards Ceremony on Monday, November 5, 2019.
- Nominations are $35 each through April 30, 2019.
- Nominations are $45 each May 1 – May 31, 2019.
- The application deadline is May 31, 2019.
- 2019 VRPS Annual Conference webpage
- 2019 Awards Application page – YOU MUST LOGIN AS A MEMBER
NEW FOR 2019:
- Population category “Greater than 100,000” has been broken into two categories: “100,001-200,000” and “Greater than 200,000”.
- Nominees should now obtain their population data, which they must provide as part of their application, from Weldon Cooper Center for Public Service. Instructions for obtaining the data are provided in the application.
Aquatic Resource Group Spring Workshop
Kick-off the new year by helping to improve your aquatic programs, lifeguards, and professional development!
Aquatic Facility Operator Course
Opportunity for Agencies to Win $1,000 for Pollinator Programs
NRPA, alongside The Scotts Miracle-Gro Foundation, is encouraging park and recreation agencies and affiliated nonprofits to host a pollinator-focused BioBlitz this June during Pollinator Month as part of the Parks for Pollinators BioBlitz campaign. A BioBlitz is an event where staff and members of the community work together to create a snapshot of the variety of life that can be found in a designated area by taking photos using the iNaturalist app on a smart device. Agencies that sign up and host a BioBlitz event in June through NRPA’s campaign on iNaturalist will have the chance to win $1,000 to support pollinator enrichment activities.
Publication Online Archives and Submission Deadlines
Submission deadline for the May VRPS President’s Newsletter is April 15, 2019. Send your submissions to 2019 VRPS President Kim Turner
Submit your content for the June VRPS Parks & Recreation magazine to magazine editor Amy-Jo Hendrix
by May 21, 2019 .
To view previous VRPS publications, follow the links below – you must login to the website and be recognized as a VRPS member to see the archives:
Please take note of the following deadlines in regards to submitting content for the VRPS publications:
Iron Bridge Park Demo Night – April 25
Join Musco Lighting for an on-field demonstration to get the answers you need. You can learn about the differences between HID and LED lighting; key factors like spill and glare control, warranty, controls, and life expectancy; how to determine if poles and electrical equipment can be reused; new advances improving playability, such as our BallTracker technology; and purchasing for retrofit projects.
Iron Bridge Park is located at
The event will start at 7 p.m., with food and drinks provided.
See you there!
2019 ESA Summer Survival – Call for Education Session Speakers
The 2019 ESA Summer Survival Training Committee is seeking dynamic, motivating speakers to provide a unique learning experience that training delegates won’t find anywhere else! The conference theme is “Level Up!”, a reference to taking your summer camp season to the next level! Training delegates will be Parks and Recreation young professionals and students from across the state.
Summer Survival 2019 gives recreation leaders the tools to survive summer camp. Topics include therapeutic recreation, team building, group games, fitness, customer service, and A WHOLE LOT MORE.
- Saturday, June 1, 2019
- Bayside Recreation Center, Virginia Beach, VA
- Registration Deadline May 17, 2019
- Lunch provided
- FOR THIS EVENT ONLY: to register multiple persons, put the registration in your shopping cart multiple times, changing the “Badge Name” for each.
2019 ESA CPRP Bootcamp
Professional certification is extremely valuable to professionals within the field of parks and recreation, the organization they work for and the public that they serve. By achieving certification you will demonstrate your high level of commitment and knowledge in the field of parks and recreation, career and professional accomplishments, and your dedication to professional development.
Eastern Service Area’s “CPRP Bootcamp” will provide you with an overview of the Certified Park and Recreation Professional (CPRP) certification administered by the National Recreation and Park Association. Some colleges and universities have begun to integrate the CPRP exam content into curriculum, not only to advocate for professional certification, but also to better prepare students for when they sit for the CPRP exam. One pilot school’s data of the process will be shared. Dr. Eddie Hill, CPRP will facilitate the workshop.
WHEN : Friday, May 31, 2019 from 9:00am-12:00pm
WHERE : Old Dominion University, 5115 Hampton Blvd, Student Recreation Center, SRC 1009
Norfolk, VA 23529-0196
Location Phone Number : 757-683-4881
Questions? Contact Roberto Ramos (757-385-0474)
2019 VRPS Annual Conference – Save the Dates!
Saturday, September 7 – Tuesday, September 10, 2019
We look forward to seeing you in Tyson’s Corner for 2019 VRPS Annual Conference : “Growing to New Heights”!
Note: CEUs and extra tickets are not part of your general conference registration.
Full Delegate registration includes:
- All educational sessions Sunday – Tuesday
- Saturday Welcome Social
- Sunday Social
- Sunday Exhibit Evening Reception
- Monday Exhibit Hall Luncheon
- Monday Awards Banquet Dinner
- Monday Social
- Tuesday Exhibitor Expo
Sunday Delegate registration includes:
- All educational sessions
- Opening Session/Keynote Speaker
- Exhibit Hall Evening Reception
Monday Delegate registration includes:
- All educational sessions
- Exhibit Hall Luncheon
Tuesday Delegate registration includes:
Tuesday Delegate EXPO registration includes:
- Expo Breakfast
- Expo Education Sessions and Demonstrations
Student Delegate registration includes:
- All educational sessions
- Monday Exhibit Hall Luncheon
- Does NOT include Socials or Banquet
Don’t forget, if you chose “Bill Me”, PAYMENT MUST BE RECEIVED BEFORE YOUR ARRIVAL.
Earn 1.4 CEUs with Archery Instruction
The DGIF Virginia Archery Academy is an educational opportunity for Recreational Professionals which includes basic archery instruction with a nationally recognized certification upon completion. Attendees will develop an understanding of providing programming at their parks for introductory and intermediate archery skills training. Participants completing the 2 day training will achieve Level II certification which will allow them to train their facility and seasonal staff to assist with archery programming. Loaner equipment sets are available to facilities sending 2 or more full time staff.
Student Opportunity – 2019 VRPS Annual Conference
Through a generous grant fro the Foundation of the Virginia Recreation and Park Society, FULL-TIME students who are not currently working in the field, may register for complimentary attendance to 2019 VRPS Annual Conference.
- Students must be VRPS members and register before 6/30/2019.
- Students may place a VRPS Student Membership ($25) in their shopping cart prior to adding the student conference registration in order to receive the complimentary $0 student rate.
- Registration will be honored upon payment of the student membership.
- Registration as a nonmember or after the 6/30/2019 deadline are subject to student rates as follows:
Full Student – VRPS Member: $245
Full Student – VRPS Nonmember: $270
Daily (Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday) – VRPS Member: $85/each
Daily (Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday) – VRPS Nonmember: $110/each
2019 VSG Wellness Expo and Athlete Party
Make plans to attend the Wellness Expo and Athletes’ Party at 2019 VSG, scheduled for Friday, May 17
at Belmont Recreation Center
, 3:30-6pm . The event is open to all:
- Health Screenings
- Health & Wellness Vendors
- Trivia and Costume Contests
- Light Refreshments
with any questions!
NSA Summer Picnic
Join your neighboring colleagues for lunch and activities at Lake Fairfax Park!
Certified Playground Safety Inspector Course
CPSI certifications are valid for 3 years; is it time to renew?
- protect children from injury due to playground hazards,
- protect your business or agency from costly liabilities,
- open the door to more opportunities for career advancement,
- increase your job mobility and choices even in the face of a tough job market,
- reach not only your short-term job goals, but also position yourself for success in your long-term career, and
- be associated with NRPA‘s strong and long-standing reputation in playground safety
Leesburg, September 18-20, 2019
Senior Resource Group Fall Workshop
Senior Center Directors Wear Many Hats
Join SRG for this one day workshop for recreation professionals, directors, and therapists who provide programming services within community recreation, adult daycare, senior centers, assisted living, long-term care, or clinical settings.
Friday, October 18, 2019
230 Karl Linn Drive
North Chesterfield, VA 23225
Early rate through 8/31/2019!
2020 Leadership Training Institute – Registration and Scholarship Application Open
- Proven Career Advancement – 90% of Directors and Upper Management personnel in Virginia Parks and Recreation Departments have graduated from LTI
- Beautiful Setting – LTI takes place at Wintergreen Resort and utilizes mountain top housing and amenities
- Fun Educational Sessions – LTI prides itself in offering fun, interactive and educational games, activities and presenters centered around bringing out the leader in you
- Networking Opportunities – meet other professionals from around the state to make lasting relationships, share ideas, improve your self confidence and begin forming a support group to last throughout your career
- CEU’s – Earn CEU’s to help maintain your certifications or to help get you on your way to becoming certified
NOTE: LTI is limited to 65 registrants. Unpaid registrants will be placed on the waiting list.
2019 VRPS/Kings Dominion SUPER SAVER Tickets!
Get comp tickets all season!
Kings Dominion and VRPS have partnered to offer one complimentary ticket per 20 Super Saver tickets purchased throughout the operating season!
VRPS now offers 2 ticket types:
- Good Anyday:
- May be redeemed any park operating day EXCEPT park buyout days
- VRPS Super Saver:
- May be redeemed on the following days EXCEPT park buyout days:
- March 30 – May 19
- July 5 – July 31
- September 21 – October 27
- 1 Complimentary ticket is provided for every 20 tickets purchased
The differences between consignment and online tickets are:
- Consignment tickets require a “Member Ticket Program Authorization Form” to be submitted to VRPS.
- Consignment ticket agencies must be VRPS organization members throughout the ticket season.
- Consignment tickets must be ordered from VRPS Central Office and picked up or shipped for a fee.
- Consignment ticket agencies make payment on the tickets they sell to VRPS monthly and return unsold tickets to Central Office by deadline dates.
- Online tickets are purchased via credit card payment through a VRPS/Kings Dominion portal.
- There is a processing fee for each online ticket order.
- Online tickets may not be returned or refunded.
More information, including ticket types and order forms
, is available on the VRPS Ticket Webpage
How to participate as a Consignment Ticket Agency:
- Complete and submit a “Member Ticket Program Authorization Form“.
- Complete and submit ticket order forms for each ticket type that you would like to order.
- We will ship your tickets via UPS unless you would like to pick them up at Central Office. Pay your shipping invoice upon receipt.
- Submit payment forms and payments each month. Your payments will be applied toward your ticket invoices.
- Keep your VRPS membership active throughout the entire ticket program.
- Return unsold tickets to VRPS by COB on return deadline dates so that we may credit your invoices with returned tickets.
- Check your “bubble” on the Kings Dominion consignment ticket agency MAP. Is your contact information correct? This map also appears on the VRPS ticket web pages so that customers can easily find you!
How to participate as a non-consignment ticket agency
: simply use the Kings Dominion
e-ticket portal on the VRPS ticket webpage.
More information, including ticket types and order forms , is available on the VRPS Ticket Webpage
Member Spotlight: Gay and Neel, Inc.
The Civil Engineering Department at Gay and Neel, Inc.
prides itself in providing thorough, professional, and personal Engineering Services. Gay and Neel, Inc.’s expertise covers a broad range of Commercial, Higher Education, K-12, Industrial, Recreational, and Residential projects. In order to better serve our clients, all of our Engineers and Design Technicians are encouraged to get in the field before, during, and after implementation of a design.
From initial research and boundary reconnaissance, through platting and construction staking, to as-built certifications, The Gay and Neel, Inc. Survey team is often the first on-site and last to leave. We additionally provide a wide variety of services to property owners such as Minor, Major and Family Subdivisions, Boundary Adjustments, and F.E.M.A. Elevation Certificates to assist with permitting and insurance issues. We are known throughout Virginia as leaders in providing ALTA/NSPS Land Title Surveys for multi-family residential, large and small commercial properties and industrial sites and work closely with lenders, attorneys and title insurers on these projects. Our diverse experience also includes government sector surveys for public facilities such as educational, transportation and utility infrastructure projects.