VRPS E-Update: Vol 16 No 14
In order to help students identify the VRPS opportunities available to them, VRPS has a launched a Student webpage
. Many thanks to VRPS University members for their support!
Information Concerning Glyphosate (Roundup)
VRPS Park Operations Resource Group
has received a number of inquiries from members concerning Glyphosate use by maintenance staff in parks and recreation. Staff using the chemical or supervising those using the chemical are legitimately concerned about possible long term health effects of the weed killer. We have found a number of articles and links for information concerning this current debate of whether Glyphosate is safe or not. The links here approach the issue in an objective way, and are just presenting facts as they are currently. This debate will undoubtedly continue, and agencies may want to be have as much information as possible when the question comes from staff, local citizens and politicians in your area concerning its use by your agency. Virginia Tech and the Virginia Cooperative Extension has produced some excellent material that should aid in understanding the issue.
2019 VRPS/Kings Dominion SUPER SAVER Tickets!
Get comp tickets all season!
Kings Dominion and VRPS have partnered to offer one complimentary ticket per 20 Super Saver tickets purchased throughout the operating season!
VRPS now offers 2 ticket types:
- Good Anyday:
- May be redeemed any park operating day EXCEPT park buyout days
- VRPS Super Saver:
- May be redeemed on the following days EXCEPT park buyout days:
- March 30 – May 19
- July 5 – July 31
- September 21 – October 27
- 1 Complimentary ticket is provided for every 20 tickets purchased
The differences between consignment and online tickets are:
- Consignment tickets require a “Member Ticket Program Authorization Form” to be submitted to VRPS.
- Consignment ticket agencies must be VRPS organization members throughout the ticket season.
- Consignment tickets must be ordered from VRPS Central Office and picked up or shipped for a fee.
- Consignment ticket agencies make payment on the tickets they sell to VRPS monthly and return unsold tickets to Central Office by deadline dates.
- Online tickets are purchased via credit card payment through a VRPS/Kings Dominion portal.
- There is a processing fee for each online ticket order.
- Online tickets may not be returned or refunded.
More information, including ticket types and order forms
, is available on the VRPS Ticket Webpage
How to participate as a Consignment Ticket Agency:
- Complete and submit a “Member Ticket Program Authorization Form“.
- Complete and submit ticket order forms for each ticket type that you would like to order.
- We will ship your tickets via UPS unless you would like to pick them up at Central Office. Pay your shipping invoice upon receipt.
- Submit payment forms and payments each month. Your payments will be applied toward your ticket invoices.
- Keep your VRPS membership active throughout the entire ticket program.
- Return unsold tickets to VRPS by COB on return deadline dates so that we may credit your invoices with returned tickets.
- Check your “bubble” on the Kings Dominion consignment ticket agency MAP. Is your contact information correct? This map also appears on the VRPS ticket web pages so that customers can easily find you!
How to participate as a non-consignment ticket agency
: simply use the Kings Dominion
e-ticket portal on the VRPS ticket webpage.
More information, including ticket types and order forms , is available on the VRPS Ticket Webpage
NSA Spring Workshop
Facility Reservations; Building a Culture of Service – Chuck Salem, 12:15-1:30pm
In today’s digital and hyper-tasking world, the notion of service is sometimes lost. Customers have varied service experiences that can impact their overall impressions of your venue. In this session, we will go beyond the basics of customer service skills and learn how, as a manager or director of a department, you can develop a culture of service.
Managing and Resolving Conflicts – Cori Talbot, 1:45-3pm
Understand how to balance sales goals with facility management. Presentation reviews the management of clients, event spaces, and branding, while reaching specified quantities of bookings.
|2019 VRPS Awards Application Open
Recognizing Excellence in 2018
- Nominees must be VRPS members at the time of award application submission as well as the Awards Ceremony on Monday, November 5, 2019.
- Nominations are $35 each through April 30, 2019.
- Nominations are $45 each May 1 – May 31, 2019.
- The application deadline is May 31, 2019.
- 2019 VRPS Annual Conference webpage
- 2019 Awards Application page – YOU MUST LOGIN AS A MEMBER
NEW FOR 2019:
- Population category “Greater than 100,000” has been broken into two categories: “100,001-200,000” and “Greater than 200,000”.
- Nominees should now obtain their population data, which they must provide as part of their application, from Weldon Cooper Center for Public Service. Instructions for obtaining the data are provided in the application.
Subscribe to the Blog
See what your peers around the Commonwealth are contributing to the VRPS blog
- Enter your email address in the “Follow by Email” block at the top right of vrps-on-the.blogspot.com,
- Complete the verification from the Feedburner popup, and
- Confirm via the email you will receive at the submitted address.
To submit content, send your verbiage and graphics to email@example.com
THIS WEEK’S POST
: SRG – Take the Challenge: Get Out of your Comfort Zone to Stay Inspired
Publication Online Archives and Submission Deadlines
Submission deadline for the May VRPS President’s Newsletter is April 15, 2019. Send your submissions to 2019 VRPS President Kim Turner
Submit your content for the June VRPS Parks & Recreation magazine to magazine editor Amy-Jo Hendrix
by May 15, 2019 .
To view previous VRPS publications, follow the links below – you must login to the website and be recognized as a VRPS member to see the archives:
Please take note of the following deadlines in regards to submitting content for the VRPS publications:
Planning a VRPS Workshop or Function?
Here’s a checklist to help:
- Plan your event. Use your VRPS liaison for questions and consultation.
- Prepare your event flyers/brochures.
- Update your webpage with event content, including your flyers. Contact your VRPS website manager to promote your event on your webpage (login to www.vrps.com and see the list of website managers here: https://www.vrps.com/AboutUs/ContactUs.aspx).
- Add your event to the VRPS calendar; your VRPS website manager can do this as well.
- Complete your CEU Session Proposal Form, if pertinent, and submit it through the online form.
- Complete and submit your VRPS online registration setup request. Keep in mind that if you are offering CEUs, a portion of each registration fee will go to the CEU Committee, depending on the registration period: $10 early, $15 regular, $20 late.
- Submit your Eupdate event promotion block to firstname.lastname@example.org. Eupdate deadline is COB Fridays. Please include graphics in picture format (.JPG or .PNG preferred).
- Send “fresh” content for your event weekly to email@example.com to run in subsequent weeks.
Iron Bridge Park Demo Night – April 25
Join Musco Lighting for an on-field demonstration to get the answers you need. You can learn about the differences between HID and LED lighting; key factors like spill and glare control, warranty, controls, and life expectancy; how to determine if poles and electrical equipment can be reused; new advances improving playability, such as our BallTracker technology; and purchasing for retrofit projects.
Iron Bridge Park is located at
The event will start at 7 p.m., with food and drinks provided.
See you there!
2019 ESA Summer Survival – Call for Education Session Speakers
The 2019 ESA Summer Survival Training Committee is seeking dynamic, motivating speakers to provide a unique learning experience that training delegates won’t find anywhere else! The conference theme is “Level Up!”, a reference to taking your summer camp season to the next level! Training delegates will be Parks and Recreation young professionals and students from across the state.
Summer Survival 2019 gives recreation leaders the tools to survive summer camp. Topics include therapeutic recreation, team building, group games, fitness, customer service, and A WHOLE LOT MORE.
- Saturday, June 1, 2019
- Bayside Recreation Center, Virginia Beach, VA
- Registration Deadline May 17, 2019
- Lunch provided
- FOR THIS EVENT ONLY: to register multiple persons, put the registration in your shopping cart multiple times, changing the “Badge Name” for each.
2019 ESA CPRP Bootcamp
Professional certification is extremely valuable to professionals within the field of parks and recreation, the organization they work for and the public that they serve. By achieving certification you will demonstrate your high level of commitment and knowledge in the field of parks and recreation, career and professional accomplishments, and your dedication to professional development.
Eastern Service Area’s “CPRP Bootcamp” will provide you with an overview of the Certified Park and Recreation Professional (CPRP) certification administered by the National Recreation and Park Association. Some colleges and universities have begun to integrate the CPRP exam content into curriculum, not only to advocate for professional certification, but also to better prepare students for when they sit for the CPRP exam. One pilot school’s data of the process will be shared. Dr. Eddie Hill, CPRP will facilitate the workshop.
WHEN : Friday, May 31, 2019 from 9:00am-12:00pm
WHERE : Old Dominion University, 5115 Hampton Blvd, Student Recreation Center, SRC 1009
Norfolk, VA 23529-0196
Location Phone Number : 757-683-4881
Questions? Contact Roberto Ramos (757-385-0474)
Student Opportunity – 2019 VRPS Annual Conference
Through a generous grant fro the Foundation of the Virginia Recreation and Park Society, FULL-TIME students who are not currently working in the field, may register for complimentary attendance to 2019 VRPS Annual Conference.
- Students must be VRPS members and register before 6/30/2019.
- Students may place a VRPS Student Membership ($25) in their shopping cart prior to adding the student conference registration in order to receive the complimentary $0 student rate.
- Registration will be honored upon payment of the student membership.
- Registration as a nonmember or after the 6/30/2019 deadline are subject to student rates as follows:
Full Student – VRPS Member: $245
Full Student – VRPS Nonmember: $270
Daily (Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday) – VRPS Member: $85/each
Daily (Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday) – VRPS Nonmember: $110/each
Interested in Park Operations?
Park Operations Resource
is intended to offer information, education and networking opportunities for those professionals in the areas of park operations, park management, and field maintenance.
Join the mailing list –
- Login to your VRPS account
- Edit Your profile
- Edit/View Information
- Select “Yes” for Park Operations Resource
Questions about Park Operations Resource or want to join the VRPS Park Operations effort?
2019 VRPS Annual Conference – Save the Dates!
Saturday, September 7 – Tuesday, September 10, 2019
We look forward to seeing you in Tyson’s Corner for 2019 VRPS Annual Conference : “Growing to New Heights”!
Note: CEUs and extra tickets are not part of your general conference registration.
Full Delegate registration includes:
- All educational sessions Sunday – Tuesday
- Saturday Welcome Social
- Sunday Social
- Sunday Exhibit Evening Reception
- Monday Exhibit Hall Luncheon
- Monday Awards Banquet Dinner
- Monday Social
- Tuesday Exhibitor Expo
Sunday Delegate registration includes:
- All educational sessions
- Opening Session/Keynote Speaker
- Exhibit Hall Evening Reception
Monday Delegate registration includes:
- All educational sessions
- Exhibit Hall Luncheon
Tuesday Delegate registration includes:
Tuesday Delegate EXPO registration includes:
- Expo Breakfast
- Expo Education Sessions and Demonstrations
Student Delegate registration includes:
- All educational sessions
- Monday Exhibit Hall Luncheon
- Does NOT include Socials or Banquet
Don’t forget, if you chose “Bill Me”, PAYMENT MUST BE RECEIVED BEFORE YOUR ARRIVAL.
What’s Happening When?
your Service Area, Resource Group, or Committee web and calendar manager to add events! Or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
VRPS Certification Board Submission Process
Want to offer CEUs at your next workshop, conference, or function? The VRPS Certification Board has redesigned the CEU Session Approval form required for request submittals. The new form is simplified and offers both instructions and samples.
As a reminder, CEU requests are submitted online:
- Individual Session Approval
- CEU Session Approval for Workshop/Function
- Continued Professional Development Board Organization Application
- Fill out the necessary CEU forms – available on both the website and via the online system.
- Click on the CEU Submission link.
- Enter your pertinent data and load your CEU form.
- Pay online.
VRPS Certification Board webpage
CEU Submission System
Thanks to VRPS Preferred Vendors
Companies other than non-profit organizations involved in the delivery of leisure services, equipment, supplies or similar associated activities for parks and recreation qualify for VRPS Commercial Membership.
Each Commercial Member receives:
- Two individual Commercial Representative memberships for a total of 2 individuals representing the commercial organization
- Access to online Membership Directory, to include corporate logo, website URL, and Social links in Commercial Member listing
- VRPS member agency department mailing list upon request
- Listing on VRPS “Preferred Vendors” webpage, to include hotlink to website
- Listing in and copies of Virginia Parks & Recreation magazine and VRPS Presidents Newsletter on full page representing preferred vendors – (6 publications/year – distributed electronically to entire VRPS membership)
- Weekly E-Update member newsletter
- 10% discount on advertising
- Membership certificate, free job bank and classifieds postings
- Full use of Members Only sections of www.vrps.com
Certified Playground Safety Inspector Course
CPSI certifications are valid for 3 years; is it time to renew?
- protect children from injury due to playground hazards,
- protect your business or agency from costly liabilities,
- open the door to more opportunities for career advancement,
- increase your job mobility and choices even in the face of a tough job market,
- reach not only your short-term job goals, but also position yourself for success in your long-term career, and
- be associated with NRPA‘s strong and long-standing reputation in playground safety
Leesburg, September 18-20, 2019
2020 Leadership Training Institute – Registration and Scholarship Application Open
- Proven Career Advancement – 90% of Directors and Upper Management personnel in Virginia Parks and Recreation Departments have graduated from LTI
- Beautiful Setting – LTI takes place at Wintergreen Resort and utilizes mountain top housing and amenities
- Fun Educational Sessions – LTI prides itself in offering fun, interactive and educational games, activities and presenters centered around bringing out the leader in you
- Networking Opportunities – meet other professionals from around the state to make lasting relationships, share ideas, improve your self confidence and begin forming a support group to last throughout your career
- CEU’s – Earn CEU’s to help maintain your certifications or to help get you on your way to becoming certified
NOTE: LTI is limited to 65 registrants. Unpaid registrants will be placed on the waiting list.
2017 VRPS Final Legislative Report Available
- 2019 Legislative Platform
- 2019 Preliminary Legislative Report.
Your 2019 VRPS Legislative Committee Leaders are:
2019 Advertising and Sponsorship
VRPS offers the following opportunities for advertising and sponsorship:
- Digital Publications – 6 Publications Offered Each Calendar Year
- Digital Weekly Email Newsletter – Sold by the Month
- Website Advertising – Logo/Video – Sold by the Month
- Advertorial Opportunities
- Webinar Opportunities
- Online Event Registration Sponsor – Duration of the Event Registration Period
- Exclusive Webinar Sponsorship – Duration of the Webinar Registration Period and in the Webinar Itself
- Annual Event Sponsor
Park Operations Skills Database
The Park Operations Resource Group has developed a database for all VRPS members to use as a resource. This database highlights the skills of our membership and other professionals for park operations resources. Any member of VRPS can enter themselves or someone that has a specific skill; that person listed does not need to be a member of VRPS but the person listing individuals needs to be a member, and should have consent of those that are listed to be called or emailed for advice in their given skill area. This database will be updated each year to ensure that all contacts and specialty areas remain current. When looking at the spreadsheet please note the tabs at the bottom as they will direct you to the general area where skills are listed. People may be listed in multiple areas based on their skills as well as multiple people on the same subject matter, “the more the merrier”. This is to be used for educational purposes only and VRPS does not endorse any person, product or service contained in the database. Please use this link to access the google spreadsheet.
Keep Your Member Record Current
- Have you recently earned your CPSI, CTRS, CPRP or other certification?
- Has your title, designation, email address, or name changed?
- Do you want to receive correspondence regarding Senior, Aquatics, Special Events, or Park Operation Resource Groups?
Your member record is available in the membership directory, and it is also used to “stuff your envelope” at member functions – badges, ribbons, and correspondence.
Update your profile.
- Login to www.vrps.com.
- Select “View/Edit Profile”.
- Select “Edit/View Information”.
- Be sure to “Save” at the bottom of the page!
Do you know your VRPS Service Area?
||Click the map to open it in your browser.
VRPS membership is divided into five geographical areas:
Each Service Area sponsors meetings, workshops, special events.
A VRPS member’s Service Area is based on their employer’s location.
VRPS Website Forums
As a privilege of membership, the VRPS website provides topical forums to which members can subscribe and share information and questions.
- Go to the Forums webpage – you must login as member.
- Select the forum(s) that you are interested in by clicking on the name(s).
- Click the checkbox to subscribe on the forum page.
You can also see post histories for each on the respective topical forums.
Member Spotlight: East Coast Entertainment
Forty years ago, two guys in Richmond, VA took a chance and started a company that promised to bring the very best entertainment to every client event. Specializing in college, club and private party bookings, Dennis Huber and Steve Thomas used their musical backgrounds to ensure that every client was matched with a band that would leave their guests raving.
Fast-forward forty years. ECE has grown into the largest, full-service entertainment agency in the country. Booking entertainment and producing custom events from not only coast-to-coast but around the globe, our company has flourished as a go-to source for creative entertainment.
We love what we do. Our passion for entertainment drives us to be the best in the industry. We can’t wait to share this passion with you.