Loudoun County Parks, Recreation and Community Services (PRCS) is a team of talented professionals, driven by results and customer relationships, and committed to excellence. The effective delivery of programs and community services can provide social, personal, economic, and environmental benefits to last a lifetime. Be a part of something that matters!
The Maintenance Division at PRCS manages landscapes at a diverse group of municipal facilities, and is dedicated to keeping our customers’ sites safe, easily used, and attractive. We’re passionate about plants, science, productivity and solving problems.
The Senior Horticulture Technician will plan, supervise, and perform advanced level horticulture work at Hal and Berni Hanson Regional Park. Tasks require up-to-date knowledge of biology, taxonomy, ecology, chemistry, and other sciences.
Job duties include:
- Herbicide and pesticide applications
- Complex pruning, installation, and watering of high-value plantings
- Root-flare excavations; invasive exotic management, field-editing of plantings, and precision fertilization.
Primary responsibilities are as follows:
- Oversee and perform herbicide and pesticide applications program in accordance with State and Federal standards
- Organize, supervise, and perform specialized tasks including mechanical weed control, pruning, watering, fertilization, and planting
- Develop and implement work schedules and annual plans to meet program goals.
- Coordinate with other Horticulture staff/contractors on scheduling, budget and program priorities
- Manage materials, supplies and equipment
- Create and maintain vehicles, machinery, and tools
Physical work is required and includes extensive walking on uneven terrain. Work is outdoors, year-round, in extremes of heat and cold. Must be able to lift and move 50 to 100 pounds.
- Certification in forklift operation
- Certification in OSHA-1926
- International Society of Arboriculture Certified Arborist or Certified Tree Worker.
POST CONDITIONAL OFFER CONTIGENCIES
- Successful candidate will undergo criminal background and credit checks
- Have and maintain a valid driver’s license
- Agree to an annual DMV record check
• 3 years job related experience
• Valid Driver’s License required
• VDACS certification as Commercial Pesticide Applicator category 3A required at time of hire-category 6, within 6 months of hire.
• Virginia Certified Fertilizer Applicator required within 90 days of hire
Loudoun County Regular Full-time Employees are eligible for full benefits including but not limited to the following as a part of a total rewards package!
• Retirement from the Virginia Retirement System (VRS)
• Annual leave
• Sick leave
• Annual Paid Holidays
• Group Health Plan
• Group Life Insurance
• Exceptional Performance Recognition
• Credit Union Membership
• Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
• Education and Career Development