RECREATION SPECIALIST II / AQUATICS duties and responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Provide excellent customer service to internal and external customers in both written and oral forms
- Lead and instruct staff how to provide excellent customer service while promoting our programs and services
- Supervise and provide feedback to Aquatic staff in the delivery of excellent customer service
- Respond to public inquiries regarding programs/procedures
- Must possess the ability to promote teamwork and serve as a catalyst for a positive work environment among several work units
Aquatic Facility Management and Maintenance
- Oversee, assess and ensure efficient daily operations of the facility; ensure that the pool is operated within OSHA, state and local industry standards
- Coordinate use of pool space with other department units (Fitness & Wellness, MemberServices, Recreation Services,Therapeutic Recreation, Out of School Time and Early Childhood Programs)
- Collaborate with work team to identify goals and objectives
- Build strong internal communications among facility staff and external communications with other work units, citizens, patrons, and other City employees
- Effectively resolve patron and staff issues
- Enforce city policies, procedures and safety practices
- Oversee the investigation of accidents and incidents occurring within the facility and ensure corrective action is taken
- Ensure equipment inventory and maintenance is completed in a timely, accurate, and purposeful manner
- Complete daily, weekly and monthly operational reports; and schedule and perform monthly and annual preventative maintenance
- Position requires occasional lifeguarding
- Supervise full and part time staff, and volunteers in the following areas: hiring, orientation, scheduling, disciplining, training, and evaluation in order to provide quality programs and facilities
- Create unit full time work schedule to effectively supervise the unit’s programming and operational needs; conduct staff meetings
- Lead committees and supervise staff assignments from conception to completion
- Communicate and follow through regarding expectations; administer department, division, and unit policies and procedures to ensure compliance by staff
- Apply teamwork practices and theory
- Time management of self and direct reports to meet the short and long term goals and objectives of the site, unit and department
- Apply problem-solving, leadership, negotiating, and management techniques to lead staff through difficult interpersonal working relationships with employees and public
Budget and Statistics
- Track and meet revenue and expenditure targets
- Address areas for improvement through established goals and expectations
- Assist with cost recovery statistical reports, Unit Business Plans and budget preparation
- Prepare required monthly reports and documents such as attendance and utilization reports
- Track part time hours to ensure staff are not working over the allotted number of budgeted hours
- Experience using computer programs (Word, Excel, Outlook, and databases for financials)
- Plan, coordinate, supervise and evaluate aquatic programs to include but not limited to: Parent/Toddler, Preschool, School Age, Competitive Swim, Dive League, Water Polo, Adult Beginner to Advance, Lifeguarding, Water Safety Education/Presentations and special events
- Position requires occasional instructional responsibilities
MINIMUMS: Requires a Bachelor's degree in recreation management, therapeutic recreation, exercise science, or a related field and two (2) years of experience as a recreation supervisor; OR any combination of education (above the high school level) and/or experience equivalent to six (6) years in fields utilizing the required knowledge, skills and abilities, and associated with such positions as recreation supervisor. SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Must be available to work varied hours, evenings, nights, weekends, holidays and overtime when required to meet operational needs. May be required to have a current and valid driver’s license. Alpha I Status: Positions within this class have been designated as Alpha I positions requiring employees to work during inclement weather, regardless of the City’s operational status.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS FOR AQUATICS ONLY:
Must possess valid certifications in American Red Cross Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED (Automated External Defibrillator) and American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor. Occasionally to frequently required to lifeguard during times of staff shortage. Lifeguarding duties include: providing a safe swimming environment, enforcing rules, rescuing anyone in danger of drowning, administering first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, oxygen and use of AED.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS FOR AQUATICS ONLY:
Valid Pool Operator, American Red Cross Lifeguard Training Instructor and American Red Cross Administering Emergency Oxygen. If not certified in preference certifications, must obtain during employment.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS: Must be available to work varied hours (early mornings, nights, weekends and holidays) to facilitate programming and operational needs. Work location may change.
This is an Alpha I position, which requires reporting to work during periods of emergency weather, regardless of the City's operational status.
*Pass pre-employment water skills and First responder assessments.
*Possess a current American Red Cross Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED certification
*Possess a current American Rec Cross Water Safety Instructor certification
Full Time Benefits