RECREATION SPECIALIST I / AQUATICS duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Aquatic Facility Management and Maintenance
- Provide routine maintenance duties of an aquatic facility per OSHA, state and local health codes
- Assist with the investigation of accidents and incidents
- Enforce safety standards for programs and participants to maintain a safe environment
- Lifeguard and teach swim lessons during times of staff shortage that include the following duties: provide a safe swimming environment; enforce rules; rescue anyone in danger of drowning; and administer first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, oxygen,and use of AED as needed
- Supervise part-time staff and volunteers inclusive of the areas of orientation,scheduling, discipline, training, and evaluation in order to provide quality programs and customer satisfaction
- Train staff and volunteers in program adaptations
- Understand basic accounting, budgetary, assessment, and evaluation procedures
- Understand and apply safety principles
- Understand appropriate city, state and federal safety practices, procedures, and regulations
- Create lifeguard and instructional work schedules to provide a safe swimming environment
- Handle difficult interpersonal working relationships with employees and the public
- Provide occasional lifeguard and instructional responsibilities
- Collect, complete, and assimilate reports, revenue forms, program documentation, incident and accident reports
- Experience using computer programs (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Assist in teaching, planning, coordinating, implementing and evaluating aquatic facility based recreation programs for youth and adults
- Provide excellent customer service to internal and external customers in both written and oral forms
- Supervise and provide feedback to part time aquatic staff in the delivery of excellent customer service
- Respond to public inquiries regarding programs/procedures
MINIMUMS: Requires a Bachelor's degree in recreation management, therapeutic recreation, exercise science, or a related field; OR any combination of education (above the high school level) and/or experience equivalent to four (4) years in fields utilizing the required knowledge, skills, and abilities and associated with such positions as recreation leader or recreation program supervisor.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Must be available to work varied hours, evenings, nights, weekends, holidays and overtime when required to meet operational needs. May be required to have a current and valid driver’s license. Alpha I Status: Positions within this class have been designated as Alpha I positions requiring employees to work during inclement weather, regardless of the City’s operational status.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS FOR AQUATICS ONLY:
Must possess valid certifications in American Red Cross Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED (Automated External Defibrillator) and American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor. Occasionally to frequently required to lifeguard during times of staff shortage. Lifeguarding duties include: providing a safe swimming environment, enforcing rules, rescuing anyone in danger of drowning, administering first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, oxygen and use of AED.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS FOR AQUATICS ONLY:
Valid Pool Operator, American Red Cross Lifeguard Training Instructor and American Red Cross Administering Emergency Oxygen. If not certified in preference certifications, must obtain during employment.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS: This position is being advertised as a pool, and applications will be used to fill current vacancies and any other similar Recreation Specialist I positions that become available within six months from the closing date of this posting.
Must be available to work varied hours (early mornings, nights, weekends and holidays) to facilitate facility operations, programming for youth and adults, and meet operational needs.
Typical weekday shifts include:
Morning shifts of 5:30 am 2: 00 pm
Mid-shifts of 8:30 am 5: 00 pm
Evening shifts of 1:00 pm 9: 30 pm
And working weekend shifts of:
Saturday 8:00 am 5:00 pm and Sunday 9:00 am 5:00 pm.
Work locations may change based on operational needs.
The position you are applying for is designated as Alpha I, requiring the selected candidate to work, regardless of the City’s operational status.
Full Time Benefits