RECREATION PROGRAM SUPERVISOR
Town of Christiansburg
Department of Parks and Recreation
Reporting to the Director of Parks and Recreation, the Recreation Program Supervisor for Youth Athletics is responsible for planning, developing, implementing and managing diverse athletic programs and activities for youth.
• Plans, develops, implements and manages athletic programs and activities for youth; determines program needs through target group assessment; develops program goals and objectives; evaluates effectiveness of programs and participation; establishes and enforces league rules and regulations; calculates cost of programs and fees
• Organizes and schedules leagues, practices, lessons, camps, and clinics; develops and coordinates schedules for referees, supervisors, scorekeepers and other staff to ensure appropriate staffing needs are met and fills in as needed; processes program registrations
• Initiates recruitment and is actively involved throughout the recruitment and selection process of part-time staff and volunteers; ensures adequate staffing of referees, umpires, field supervisors, scorekeepers, and coaches to meet program needs
• Supervises and directs assigned staff and volunteers, processing employee concerns and problems, and coordinating and assigning work
• Ensures compliance with all applicable codes, laws, rules, regulations, standards, policies and procedures; ensures adherence to established safety procedures; monitors work environment and use of safety equipment to ensure safety of employees and other individuals; initiates any actions necessary to correct deviations or violations
• Maintains a comprehensive, current knowledge of applicable policies, procedures, codes, and regulations; maintains an awareness of new issues, methods, equipment, trends and advances in the profession; reads professional literature; maintains affiliations; participates in continuing education activities; attends meetings, conferences, workshops and training sessions as appropriate
• Communicates with supervisor, Town employees, participants, parents, and the public and outside businesses and agencies as needed to coordinate work activities, exchange information, resolve problems, or give/receive advice/direction; makes presentations to civic and community groups
• Creates promotional materials to increase public awareness and participation in athletic programming and activities for youth; in coordination with the Public Relations Department, prepare news releases, flyers, brochures, etc.
• Makes recommendations for budget requests for youth athletic programs and monitors adherence to established budgetary parameters; maintains related documentation
• Maintains inventories of supplies, forms, and equipment; ensures availability of adequate supplies to compete work activities; prepares purchase requisitions for needed materials, equipment, and supplies; receives/distributes incoming supply shipments
• Performs general customer service and administrative duties (i.e. receives and responds to inquiries, concerns, and complaints of citizens regarding division programs, policies and/or personnel; attends meetings; answers the phone; copies and files documents; enters computer data; prepares reports and correspondence; enters computer data, etc.)
• Prepares, receives, types, proofreads, and/or completes various forms, reports, correspondence, progress reports, newsletters, lists, directories, logs, notices, charts, graphs, spreadsheets, brochures, drafts, job applications, invoices, birth certificates, background checks, helmet reports, policies, procedures, manuals, handbooks, directories, reference materials, or other documentation; reviews, completes, proofreads, processes, forwards or retains as appropriate
• Maintains facilities and athletic fields; arranges facilities and equipment according to daily schedules, programs, and projects; moves, sets up, and tears down equipment, etc.; performs routine cleaning of facilities and equipment; inspects for proper and safe operating condition; and may assist with field and grounds maintenance
• Performs other related duties as assigned
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT
• General office equipment (e.g., computer, copier, phone, calculator)
• Sports equipment (e.g., footballs, baseballs, bats)
• Field maintenance equipment (e.g. lawn mower, grass trimmer, Line machine, Lime, Air compressor)
• Paint supplies (e.g., paint, brushes)
The Supervisor of Athletic Programs works 40+ hours a week depending on the season and number of sports. Most of the work is done in a temperature-controlled building with the exception of going out to the site of the games to supervise. The work environment has low levels of noise and the stress level is moderate except in the planning stage of each sport where it can be high at times. The ability to exert very moderate physical effort in light work, typically involving some combination of stooping, kneeling, crouching and crawling, and which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of moderate weight (12-20 pounds). Essential functions are regularly performed without exposure to adverse environmental conditions.
Work performance and conduct are assessed on a regular basis, but the employee will receive a formal review following the first six-month probationary period. During this probationary period and moving forward, the employee must demonstrate a strong understanding of all that the job requires.
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in health, physical education, sports administration or related field, or equivalent education, training and experience
• Minimum of 3 years of progressively responsible experience in recreation and athletic programming
• Prior supervisory experience preferred
Licenses and Certifications
• Must possess, or be able to obtain within 3 months from hire, and maintain the following certification: NAYS Clinician for Youth Coaches, First Aid and CPR
• Valid Virginia driver’s license with the ability to meet/maintain Town insurability requirements
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• Knowledge and understanding of the philosophy and objectives of public recreation
• General knowledge of the principles, practices, rules, safety requirements and equipment used to develop and supervise various recreational programs and activities
• Knowledge of supervisory techniques for paid staff and volunteers
• Knowledge of applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules and regulations
Skills and Abilities
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Well-developed interpersonal skills with the ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with the general public, Town management and staff, citizens and community organizations
• Strong organizational, scheduling and time management skills with demonstrated ability to multitask and meet deadlines
• Strong problem solving and negotiation skills
• Ability to operate equipment, machinery, tools and/or materials used in performing essential functions
• Ability to plan, coordinate and supervise the work of others
• Ability to exercise sound and independent judgment within general policy guidelines
• Ability to determine recreation needs and to evaluate and develop programs to meet those needs
The employee shall adhere to Town of Christiansburg policies regarding safety precautions and the use safety equipment that is necessary for the health and safety of all employees and citizens. If a safety concern arises, the employee must stop any life-threatening activity immediately, and in other cases, immediately inform the employee’s supervisor.
The job description is:
• Intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job title. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills and behaviors required of employees in this job title.
• Not an employment agreement or contract. Employment is at will only, and the Town of Christiansburg has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.
• Intended to describe the essential functions of the position that a qualified individual must be able to perform, either with or without reasonable accommodation.
The Town of Christiansburg is an Equal Opportunity Employer and E – Verify participant. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Town of Christiansburg will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
Note: Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time without notice.