The City of Alexandria is in northern Virginia and is bordered by the District of Columbia (Potomac River), Arlington and Fairfax counties. With a population of approximately 150,000 and a land area of 15.75 square miles, Alexandria is the seventh largest city in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Alexandria has a charming waterfront and is a unique and historic place to live and work. About one-quarter square miles in the city have been designated as a national or local historic district. We proudly embrace our rich history and seize the endless opportunities that lie ahead. If you are interested in working for the vibrant City of Alexandria, we invite qualified candidates to apply for our Recreation Coordinator position.
In pursuit of service excellence, the Recreation Coordinator works closely with the Recreation Manager in developing, implementing, and overseeing free and fee-based programming at one of the City’s recreation centers.
Major areas of responsibility include:
- Management of the day-to-day operation of the center’s elementary Out of School Time Program (OSTP) which operates during the school year and summer months.
- With the support of the Teen Coordinator, develop and oversee the evening Teen Program.
- Assist with the hiring, training, supervising, and evaluating of seasonal and part-time staff.
- Assist in overseeing the daily program operations.
The Recreation Coordinator is an integral part of the center operations as well as in the Recreation Services Division. This includes the managing of the facility, fostering an inclusive and welcoming environment for customers, attending Division and Department meetings, and serving on Division, Department and/or City committees and work groups. An engaged employee in this position plays an active role in the success and growth of the facility, Division, Department, and City. This position is provided with opportunities and encouraged to attend professional trainings and be involved in professional organizations.
The Recreation Coordinator should be available to work various hours which include days, evenings, weekends, and some holidays. Enthusiasm, flexibility, and excellent communication skills are needed to be successful in this position. An incumbent in this class works under the close supervision of a Recreation Manager.
What You Should Bring
Each member of the team is accountable for the outstanding delivery of services to the community. The ideal candidate should possess good knowledge of the principles and practices of program management and community recreational work; knowledge of youth development principles and the developmental assets; ability to plan and direct program activities; ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, participants and the public; ability to generate interest and participation in center activities with varied age groups; ability to lead an OST programs for all ages, and the ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing. Your ability to work independently and to use judgment within established procedures; experience preparing reports; ability to organize, ability to work with a variety of staff at all levels and to handle assignments across sections of the Recreation Services Division will ensure success in this role.
- Plan, develop, and implement a successful OSTP for 175 elementary students during the school year and summer.
- Plan, develop, and implement a successful Teen Program that sees 50 unique teen sign-ins each month by April 30th, 2022.
- Working independently or with the OSTP Committee, develop and implement a benchmark evaluation model to ensure the successful delivery of the OST Program to be implemented by December 17th, 2021.
- Recruit, hire, coach, retain and engage seasonal and part-time staff that work within the OSTP and Teen programs
- Conduct weekly OSTP and Teen staff meetings to foster engagement, teamwork, and skill development, as well as to ensure good communication and update staff on the operational status of the program by October 29th.
- Hold consistent weekly or bi-weekly supervision meetings with staff under your purview by October 29th, 2021.
- Actively participate in two different Division, Department, or City committees and/or work groups by December 17th.
About the Department
The mission of Recreation, Parks & Cultural Activities is to enrich the City of Alexandria by creating meaningful experiences through public spaces, cultural activities, and programming. The Department’s vision is to improve the well-being of every person in our community by connecting them to each other and their environment. The Department’s values are Integrity, Civic Responsibility, Continuous Learning, Equity, Exceptional Customer Experiences, and Safety. The Department of Recreation, Parks and Cultural Activities received national accreditation from the Commission for Accreditation of Park and Recreation Agencies (CAPRA). National accreditation requires park and recreation agencies to meet 155 standards representing elements of effective and efficient park and recreation operations. The department has adopted the Commonwealth Centers for High Performance Model for Organizational Excellence, practices shared leadership, and maintains clear workplace expectations.
Minimum & Additional Requirements
Four-Year College Degree; completion of college-level courses in recreation, physical education, business management or related fields. Experience in community recreation at a level equivalent to a Recreation Supervisor I, or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
We are proud to welcome you to explore the City of Alexandria's excellent benefits and programs!
Click here to learn more about Employee Benefits: https://www.alexandriava.gov/hr/info/default.aspx?id=11684
Click here to learn more about the City's Employee Development Program: https://www.alexandriava.gov/hr/info/default.aspx?id=9502
The benefits referenced on this site, may be changed from time to time without notice. For further information, please contact the Benefits and Records Division of the Human Resources Department at 703.746.3785.