The Parks Supervisor - Maintenance performs a wide variety of tasks in the day-to-day operation,
maintenance and patrol of the County Parks and related facilities. Work involves supervising staff, assessing maintenance needs for park equipment, buildings and grounds and scheduling necessary work to ensure parks are safe and properly maintained. Employee observes park usages and makes recommendations for improvements and necessary changes. Reports to the Parks Superintendent.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
1. Plans, schedules, supervises, participates in, and inspects the work of full-time and part-time staff, volunteers and court appointed workers engaged in park maintenance activities; prepares daily and weekly work assignments; evaluates staff performance; resolves conflicts; assists with training staff; maintains training records; and ensures work assignments and training are completed in a timely manner.
2. Performs and/or supervises general maintenance and safety inspection of parks, play and maintenance equipment and recreational facilities; assists with maintenance and repairs to public boat landings as directed; incorporates work tasks into daily, weekly and seasonal maintenance calendars; processes work orders for more complicated maintenance needs; maintains safety and inspection records; provides weekly reports, tracks repairs and ensures completion of tasks. Purchases general supplies; maintains tool and equipment inventory; and inventories and orders stock of custodial supplies.
3. Ensures that state and federal laws for record keeping are followed for land disturbance, fertilizer applications, erosion control, etc.; ensures Safety Data Sheets are up to date and available to staff.
4. Monitors park use and reservation schedules; communicates with user groups to determine needs and coordinate scheduled use; sets up and takes down tents, stages and other equipment for events; and assists with preparing parks and fields for general use, athletic play and special events.
5. Performs a variety of duties associated with the daily custodial maintenance of park areas and facilities; collects debris in parks, athletic fields, floral display areas, surrounding areas, parking lots, and transports to convenience centers and dumpster sites.
6. Opens and closes parks and buildings as necessary. Patrols the park and related facilities to enforce regulations, ensures security and public safety; maintains order and assists the public in the use of the facilities; responds to minor emergencies; contacts emergency medical personnel in serious situations.
7. Assists with and implements park construction projects; assists in capital improvement planning for parks; interacts with Director, Park Superintendent and other County personnel on the development of parks.
8. Assists with logistics support in the distribution of tents, stage, tables, chairs, PA system, and other equipment for events. Helps move gymnastics equipment to various schools for performances.
9. Performs other duties as assigned.
EMPLOYEE UTILIZATION IN ADVERSE WEATHER AND EMERGENCY CONDITIONS
All Gloucester County employees are subject to being assigned to specific positions and tasks
during a "Declared Emergency" as support personnel, by the County Administrator, the
Emergency Management Director, or the Emergency Operations Plan (EOP). Once assigned, this would be the same as a regular work assignment and all policies and procedures for duty
assignments apply. (Please see Gloucester County Administrative Policy 101.1 - Employee
Utilization in Adverse Weather and Emergency Conditions.)
For a complete description and to apply on-line, visit our website at www.gloucesterva.jobs
Three (3) to five (5) years of experience in park operations and programming, and two years of
supervisory experience or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Possession of a valid driver's license; possess and maintain a driving record that meets
established Gloucester County Driving Standards.
Possession of, and ability to maintain, CPR, AED, and First Aid certification.
Pass a post-offer, pre-employment physical examination; employee may be subject to
subsequent physical examinations to ensure he/she meets job-related physical requirements.
DESIRED SPECIAL QUALIFICATIONS:
Certified Playground Safety Inspector
Certified Pesticide Technician
Certified Fertilizer Applicator
Certified Land Disturber