Performs responsible skilled work in the care, maintenance, and repair of the County’s parks and schools’ buildings and grounds. Conducts related duties as assigned. Work is performed with limited supervision of the Assistant Park Manager or Park Manager. Supervision may be provided over part-time staff and volunteers.
- Drives and operates light to heavy equipment such as mowing equipment, dump truck, tractor, and backhoe;
- Maintains grounds and landscaping. Assists with mowing, trimming, planting, sodding, pruning, pest control, aerating, and cultivating trees, shrubs, and turf;
- Supervises part-time labor and volunteers;
- Completes assigned tasks and maintains records of work performed including time, materials, and equipment;
- Monitors, evaluates, inspects and assists in electrical, plumbing, and carpentry repair and maintenance of park grounds, equipment and amenities such as restrooms, concessions buildings, disc golf, bike park and trails, walkways, gates, fences, backstops, shelters, signs, and benches;
- Inspects, documents, and repairs playgrounds to meet the Consumer Product Safety Commission standards;
- Assists in repairing equipment and vehicles;
- Performs pool mechanical system operations, maintenance and chemical treatments to state health standards;
- Prepares athletic fields for school and recreational activities including turfgrass maintenance, dragging, lining, measuring and painting fields;
- Participates in snow removal operations;
- Conducts janitorial duties in the parks, cleans bathrooms and shelters, debris pickup and disposal from park grounds and athletic facilities utilizing light automotive and power equipment;
- Opens and secures parks and facilities as required;
- Works nights, weekends and holidays;
- Purchases and delivers supplies and materials as needed;
- Assists in inventory of supplies, tools, and equipment; and,
- Utilizes computer for documenting daily tasks and personnel time management.
Experience: Thorough knowledge of the practices, methods, equipment, and procedures of grounds maintenance used in park maintenance activities
Ability to read and comprehend written and oral instructions in English. Ability to safely use standard hand tools. General knowledge of equipment and materials used in the standard building maintenance trades. Ability to operate automotive and light to heavy equipment used in grounds maintenance activities. Develop skills acquired through on the job experience and training. Ability to supervise personnel. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and communicate well with general public. Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license Driver’s License and a minimum of two (2) years of driving experience after issuance of license. Must possess or obtain a certification in child and adult Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation/Automated External Defibrillator and first aid within six (6) months of hire.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Requires good physical condition -- demanding regular physical effort including but not limited to walking, talking, writing, typing, stooping, kneeling, bending, reaching, climbing, balancing, lifting, pushing and pulling, sitting, gripping. Working and lifting with equipment and materials over 60 pounds is common. Ability to work nights, weekends and holidays. Indoor and outdoor work is conducted in variable weather conditions. Exposed to high or low temperatures and wet/humid conditions
All positions are subject to a criminal background and driving record check for any convictions that relate to the job duties and responsibilities.
The County's EEO Utilization Report has been available at www.fcva.us/jobs.
Full compensation package included.