The CAPRA nationally accredited James City County Parks and Recreation Department is seeking an enthusiastic leader with high professionalism and the ability to work in a team environment in the development, management implementation and evaluation of year-round community recreation programs for varying interest levels and special populations within the County. Work schedule is generally Monday-Friday, 40 hrs/wk between the hours of 8:00am – 5:00 pm with some early mornings, evenings and weekends.
- Provides effective supervision of assigned staff and volunteers including selection, performance management, employee relations, training, prioritizing and assigning work and related activities.
- Manages the operations and service delivery of County-wide facilities, parks and comprehensive programming.
- Assists in the development, coordinates, and oversees capital/special projects, cooperative agreements, maintenance, facility schedules, facility reservations, programs/events and fiscal transactions.
- Assists in development of procedures, guidelines, rules and regulations for the operation of the recreation facility, program or park.
- Prepares, develops and monitors the annual budget, performance measures, statistics, program and service evaluations, marketing efforts and other daily administrative functions.
- Serves as a liaison to County staff, community partners and training resource for matters pertaining to global parks and recreation best practices; serves on committees, community agency boards and councils; serves in of the absence of area Administrator.
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree in recreation or related field, preferably from a National Recreation and Parks Association (NRPA) accredited college or university; considerable experience in recreation program planning, implementation, evaluation and supervision; experience in parks and/or facility management
- Must possess, or obtain within 30 days of hire, a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria.
- Must possess or obtain within 60 days of hire a Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Certificate and a First Aid Certificate from the American Red Cross; Certified Park and Recreation Professional certification from the National Recreation and Park Association preferred.
- Knowledge of varying types of demographics and associated needs; planning a wide range of recreation activities; growth and development and safety and health practices of varying age groups; safety and liability of facility, program or park; leadership techniques, principles and procedures to assign work, schedule, supervise, train and evaluate the work of assigned staff.
- Skill in use of computer software, especially Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to work effectively in a team setting and with children, families, to include seniors, citizens with disabilities and low-income families; staff, and community partners and contacts; solve complex problems; work efficiently and effectively under pressure; communicate effectively both in writing and orally.
Click here for full job description. Accepting applications until position is filled. However, applications submitted by 11:59 pm EST on 9/10/2021 will have first priority in consideration. Cover letters and resumes may also be attached, but a fully completed application is required in order for your application to be considered.
Considerable experience in recreation program planning, implementation and evaluation; leading and supervising diverse staff and volunteers; coordination and management of multiple program areas, parks and/or facilities (to include, but not limited to Special Events, Special Interests, Sports, Outdoors, Inclusion/Therapeutic Recreation, Neighborhood Outreach, etc.).
Full list of Employee Benefits can be found at