MOTOR EQUIPMENT OPERATOR II - ASPHALT/CONCRETE CREW LEADER duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Operation of one or more types of medium to heavy duty motor equipment such as Tandem dump trucks, Stake Body Trucks, Backhoe Loaders,Front End Loaders, Skid Steers, Asphalt Rollers, Tractors with various attachments, Snow Plows and various types of small engine equipment related to asphalt and concrete installation, maintenance and repairs
- Set forms for concrete and asphalt; mix concrete by hand and in mixer; finish concrete and asphalt; repair broken/heaved steps, curbs, sidewalks
- Repair potholes; form and repair asphalt speed bumps, ramps, ADA ramps, and walkways
- Install, repair and maintain culverts, catch basins, inlet collars, pipes, and other drainage structures throughout our schools
- Perform maintenance to BMP’s
- Train crew members on policies and procedures for the safe operation of tools and equipment to minimize accidents and ensure efficient completion of assignments
- Lead, plan, coordinate, schedule, and set priorities for the crew engaged in asphalt and concrete installation, maintenance, and repair to ensure that assigned tasks are completed and meet established standards
- Maintain records on items such as equipment and labor usage, supplies, and inventory to support current operations and forecast future requirements
- Complete accident reports
- Tactfully, promptly, and effectively receive and respond to emails, work orders, and service requests
- Inspect, repair or make recommendations for asphalt, concrete and drainage systems concerns
- Ensure that City policies and procedures are followed
- Knowledge of ADA requirements as it pertains to asphalt and concrete installation on public school sites
- Perform other job duties requiring skills, knowledge, and physical requirements as demanded by those duties described or less
- Individual assignments will be determined by the supervisor based on the current workloads and departmental needs
**All positions are Alpha I position requiring the individual to work during emergencies and storm events to perform vital services such as snow removal, storm damage cleanup, etc. Involves lifting and carrying tools, equipment, and materials weighing 50 lbs. or more.
**This position requires a Class A Commercial Driver's License or must obtain within six (6) months of hire.
MINIMUMS: Requires completion of the tenth (10th) grade, plus two (2) years experience in fields providing the required knowledge, skills and abilities, such as motor equipment operation; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Must have, or obtain, a current and valid Virginia or North Carolina driver's license in accordance with Virginia or North Carolina DMV driver's license eligibility requirements.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: All employees may be expected to work hours in excess of their normally scheduled hours in response to short-term department needs and/or City-wide emergencies. Positions within this class have been designated as Alpha I positions, requiring employees to work during inclement weather, regardless of the City’s operational status.
This position may require that incumbents wear and maintain appropriate personal protective equipment such as, but not limited to, steel toed shoes, safety glasses, gloves, or other designated safety attire and equipment in designated areas of risk.
Specific requirements will be determined and communicated by the employee's supervisor based on position assigned. This is position may be designated as a safety sensitive position and be subject to mandatory drug testing and annual exams. Positive drug test results may result in counseling and/or discipline, up to and including, termination. Successful completion of a pre-employment physical. May require a Commercial Driver's license.
**This requisition is being reopened to expand the pool of applicants. If you have already applied, you do not need to reapply.
**Open until filled: This position will be reviewed on an ongoing basis. Once the appropriate applicant pool has been established, it will be closed.
This position is being advertised as a pool, and applications will be used to fill current vacancies and any other similar Motor Equipment Operator II positions that become available within six (6) months from the closing date of this posting.
This is an Alpha I position, which requires reporting to work during periods of emergency or inclement weather, regardless of the City’s operational status.
Individual must furnish and wear steel-toed safety boots.
This position requires a Class A Commercial Driver's License or must obtain within six (6) months of hire.
City of Virginia Beach Full Time Employee Benefits