MOTOR EQUIPMENT OPERATOR I duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Complete grounds maintenance work assignments including removal and pruning of trees and other visual obstructions, grading surfaces, and maintaining landscape, mostly along the city's roadways
- Implement the use of equipment when and where needed to accomplish overall plan-of-the-day
- Operate and become proficient in the safe operation and maintenance of all safety-sensitive equipment to include a variety of medium- to heavy-duty landscape and construction equipment, such as front-end loader, backhoe, 5-ton dump trucks, bobcat/skid steer, stump grinder and other heavy landscape equipment; as well as chain saws, chippers and related equipment
- Position requires a Class A Commercial Driver's License (CDL), or must obtain within six (6) months of hire
- Work is performed outside in all weather conditions, including temperature extremes.
This is an Alpha I position requiring the individual to work during emergencies and storm events to perform vital services such as snow removal, storm damage cleanup, etc.
This position is part of the Emergency Tree Response Team and will be placed on the emergency call-in list; may be required to respond to work after regular scheduled hours; and involves lifting and carrying tools, equipment, and materials weighing 50 lbs. or more.
MINIMUMS: Requires completion of tenth (10th) grade, plus one (1) year of experience in fields providing the required knowledge, skills and abilities, such as motor equipment operation; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Must have, or obtain, a current and valid Virginia or North Carolina driver's license in accordance with Virginia or North Carolina DMV driver's license eligibility requirements.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: All employees may be expected to work hours in excess of their normally scheduled hours in response to short-term department needs and/or City-wide emergencies. This is an Alpha I position, which requires reporting to work during periods of emergency or inclement weather, regardless of the City’s operational status. This position may require that incumbents wear and maintain appropriate personal protective equipment such as, but not limited to, steel toed shoes, safety glasses, gloves, or other designated safety attire and equipment in designated areas of risk. Specific requirements will be determined and communicated by the employee's supervisor based on position assigned. This is a safety sensitive position and is subject to mandatory drug testing and annual exams. Positive drug test results may result in counseling and/or discipline, up to and including, termination. Valid Class A Commercial Driver's License or ability to obtain within 6 months of hire.
**This requisition is being reopened to expand the pool of applicants. If you have already applied, you do not need to reapply.
Open until filled: This position will be reviewed on an ongoing basis. Once the appropriate applicant pool has been established, it will be closed.
This position is being advertised as a pool, and applications will be used to fill current vacancies and any other similar Motor Equipment Operator I positions that become available within 6 months from the closing date of this posting.
This position requires a Class A Commercial Driver's License (CDL), or must obtain within six (6) months of hire.
This is an Alpha I position, which requires reporting to work during periods of emergency or inclement weather, regardless of the City’s operational status.
Individual must furnish and wear steel-toed safety boots.
City of Virginia Beach Full Time Employee Benefits