NOVA Parks is seeking a Maintenance 4 at Washington and Old Dominion Railroad Regional Park (NOVA Parks), Ashburn, VA. To be considered you must apply online at www.novaparks.com or click here.
The Maintenance 4 position performs a variety of manual labor jobs with varying degree of skill needed to assist with the maintenance of park grounds, equipment, and facilities.
Pay Rate: $14.00 per hour
Major Duties/Specific Tasks
- Mow grass using a variety of equipment which may include push mowers, tractors and/or specialized lawn equipment.
- Perform various landscape maintenance to include weeding, mulching edging and raking.
- Operate small engine equipment such as chain saws, backpack blowers and line trimmers.
- Establish plant beds, plant flowers, bulbs, shrubs, and trees, and maintain planted areas.
- Pick up litter and debris.
- Perform facility maintenance such as repairing and staining picnic tables, installing and repairing fences, replacing light bulbs, and preparing for special events.
- Assist with repair and/or maintenance of electrical, plumbing and HVAC systems.
- Operate park vehicles which may include pickup trucks, 4-wheel motorcycles, dump trucks and garbage trucks.
- Clean & organize maintenance shop.
- Clean restroom & picnic shelters.
- Assist with routine maintenance/repair of equipment to include changing oil, oil filters, replacing worn parts, and making minor mechanical adjustments.
- Sharpen or replace worn blades on mowers; replace string on line trimmers; sharpen or replace worn chain saw chains.
- Prepare and load equipment & tools for use and/or to transport.
- Run errands to retrieve and/or delver parts, etc.
- Perform manual labor and related work as required.
- Assist with public relations by handling visitor inquiries, and providing information and assistance.
- Attend and participate in staff meetings and in-service training.
- Report unsafe conditions to the Park Maintenance Supervisor.
- Carry out additional duties as assigned by the Park Maintenance Supervisor or Supervisor on Duty.
- Must be age 18 or over.
- High school diploma with minimum of one year experience in park maintenance work, or any equivalent combination of education, training, or experience.
- Ability to operate small engine equipment properly and safely.
- Ability to operate a variety of vehicles with standard transmissions.
- Mechanical aptitude with ability to make minor repairs on equipment.
- Knowledge of park maintenance procedures and equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively and courteously with the public.
- Ability to learn the operation of the facility.
- Strength and dexterity necessary to perform all required tasks, including lifting, stooping, bending, and working in tiring and uncomfortable positions.
- Ability to perform heavy manual labor in a variety of weather conditions.
- Availability to work a variable work schedule, which may include early and late hours, and weekends and holidays.
- Ability to understand and follow oral instructions.
- Possession of or ability to obtain valid driver’s license, must maintain safe driving record.
- Required to purchase and wear standard uniform.