Loudoun County Parks, Recreation and Community Services (PRCS) is a team of talented professionals, driven by results and customer relationships, and committed to excellence. The effective delivery of programs and community services can provide social, personal, economic, and environmental benefits to last a lifetime. Be a part of something that matters!
The Department of Parks, Recreation & Community Services is currently seeking qualified candidates for a Horticulture Technician at the Hal and Berni Hanson Regional Park located in Leesburg, VA. Hal and Berni Hanson Park is a brand-new facility featuring numerous athletic fields, event lodge and nature center, playground, golf course, and more! The new 257-acre park offers a wide variety of programs to serve the community.
The Horticulture Technician performs skilled horticultural work, dedicated to keeping our customers’ sites safe, easily used, and attractive. We’re passionate about plants, science, productivity and solving problems.
- Herbicide and pesticide applications
- Complex pruning, installation and watering of high-value plantings
- Root-flare excavations; invasive exotic management, field-editing of plantings, and precision fertilization.
These tasks require an advanced skill-level and up-to-date knowledge of biology, taxonomy, ecology, chemistry, and other sciences. Frequent decisions about balancing safety, efficiency and site-program impacts are made daily, based on the overall schedule and program goals.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Perform herbicide and pesticide applications program in accordance with State and Federal standards
- Perform specialized tasks including mechanical weed control, pruning, watering, fertilization, and planting
- Coordinate with other Horticulture staff/contractors on scheduling, budget and program priorities
- Manage materials, supplies and equipment
- Create and maintain records mandated for compliance and program history
- Operate and maintain vehicles, machinery and tools
High School diploma or equivalent; three (3) years of related work experience in horticulture or arboriculture; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Loudoun County Regular Full-time Employees are eligible for full benefits including but not limited to the following as a part of a total rewards package!
• Retirement from the Virginia Retirement System (VRS)
• Annual leave
• Sick leave
• Annual Paid Holidays
• Group Health Plan
• Group Life Insurance
• Exceptional Performance Recognition
• Credit Union Membership
• Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
• Education and Career Development