To be considered: Candidates must complete a NOVA Parks.com employment application at www.novaparks.com/employment or click here.
- The Horticulturalist is responsible for assisting with the care and maintenance of planted areas and lawns.
Pay Rate: $ 17.33 per hour
Major Duties/Specific Tasks
- Provide daily care for plants and planted areas which may include conducting soil tests, fertilizing, watering, pulling weeds, removing faded and/or dead leaves/flowers, pruning dead limbs/branches, mulching and edging.
- Prepare planting areas and gardens which may include mixing soil and other materials, aerating soil, planting flowers, bulbs, shrubs and trees.
- Ability to develop and maintain specific plant collections based on color schemes, families, forms, ecology etc.
- Identify horticultural needs and problems and initiate or recommend appropriate action.
- Identify plants by common and scientific names.
- Use and maintain appropriate safety equipment.
- Use variety of equipment such as mowers, string trimmers, dump trucks, front-end loaders to perform various landscaping work.
- Make minor repairs and/or adjustments to equipment.
- Perform manual labor as required in all weather conditions.
- Assist in care and maintenance of turf, forested and other non-landscaped areas.
- Identify, locate and purchase plant materials consistent with the master plan and new collection development.
- Ensure proper maintenance of planted landscaped and garden areas and assist with coordination of maintenance of grounds with Maintenance Supervisor.
- Monitor and remove invasive plant species as needed or directed.
- Assist with coordination of volunteers.
- Assist with light show installation or special projects as needed.
- Provide information to the public on plant materials, horticultural practices, plant conservation and landscape topics.
- Keep abreast of horticulture and public garden standards and changes.
- Advise park management personnel on horticultural problems.
• Education: Graduation from an accredited degree program with a four-year degree preferred (two-year Associate degree required) in Horticulture, Botany or closely related field.
• Considerable knowledge of native and ornamental plant materials, intermediate plant identification and gardening.
• Knowledge of plant propagation, pruning, and transplanting.
• Ability to read and understand landscape plans.
• Considerable ability to communicate clearly and effectively with the public and staff members.
• Ability to manage part time/seasonal staff and volunteers
• Knowledge of lawn care techniques and safe operation of equipment.
• Ability to learn skid loader or tractor operation.
• Strength and dexterity necessary to perform all required tasks, including lifting up to 50 pounds, stooping, bending, and working in tiring and uncomfortable positions.
• Ability to perform heavy manual labor in a variety of weather conditions.
• Availability to work additional hours during peak operating times.
• Possession of or ability to obtain valid driver’s license, must maintain safe driving record.
• Basic computer skills to include word processing and horticulture record keeping.
• Required to purchase and wear standard uniform.
Duties and responsibilities are designed to be the essential elements of the job. They do not preclude the performance of related, or even unrelated, jobs which may be necessary to properly and efficiently complete all work assignments. NOVA Parks reserves the right to amend job specifications to meet current needs.