GROUNDSKEEPER I duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Individual will perform landscape and grounds maintenance services for parks, building sites, roadways, school sites, athletic fields, resort area, and the Municipal Center.
- Operate a variety of lawn mowers (including commercial type) and other motorized equipment
- Operate handheld power tools such as weed-eaters, edging and trimming equipment
- Use common gardening and hand tools
- Collect and dispose of trash and debris
- Load and unload tools, equipment, dirt, gravel, clay, and sand for project assignments
- Regularly lift/carry 50 lbs. and occasionally lift/carry 50+ lbs.
- Work independently and/or with as part of a team
- Assist in installing, mulching, maintaining and weeding plant and shrub beds, lawn areas, turf, and walkways
- Prune, fertilize, spray herbicides, apply pesticides, etc.
- Plant Installation
- Plant & Tree Pruning
- Athletic Field Maintenance
- Work is performed outside in all weather conditions including temperature extremes.
Requires completion of 10th grade; or any equivalent combination of experience and training, which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Must have, or obtain, a current and valid Virginia or North Carolina drivers license in accordance with Virginia or North Carolina DMV drivers license eligibility requirements.
Must be available to work evenings, weekends, holidays, and overtime when required to meet operational needs.
Positions within this class have been designated as Alpha I positions requiring employees to work during inclement weather, regardless of the Citys operational status.
This position will require that incumbents wear and maintain appropriate personal protective equipment such as, but not limited to, steel-toed shoes, safety glasses, gloves, or other designated safety attire and equipment in designated areas of risk. Specific requirements will be determined and communicated by the employee's supervisor based on position assigned. This position may be designated as a safety sensitive position and be subject to mandatory drug testing. Positive drug test results may result in counseling and/or discipline, up to and including, termination.
Please complete the application in its entirety. The application is the primary required document used to screen qualifications and years of experience. A resume does not replace a completed application. Fields on the application left blank, including but not limited to job duties, dates of employment, and hours worked, may cause your application to be incomplete.
Full Time Benefits