To be considered: You MUST click here or go to www.NOVAParks.com to apply online.
NOVA Parks is seeking a Facility and Event Sales Manager at The Woodlands at Algonkian Regional Park.
The Facility and Event Sales Manager is responsible for planning, developing, coordinating, and executing an operational management plan for the Woodlands Meeting and Event Center at Algonkian Regional Park and the reservation management of the park’s rental cottages. Work is performed under the general direction of the Park Manager with considerable latitude for independent judgment and action. Annual performance goals will be set for the Facility and Event Sales Manager.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (with illustrative examples of work)
- Plan, direct, and control the work of employees in the operation and maintenance of facilities, grounds, and equipment.
- Determine workload, assign priorities, schedule employees, and allocate resources.
- Maintain attendance records, approve leave, and authorize payment of wages.
- Develop and implement training programs for employees.
- Analyze and resolve employee work problems through application and interpretation of personnel policies.
- Assist in the development of performance goals and objectives and evaluate employee performance against those standards.
- Ensure adherence to fair and equitable hiring practices.
- Interview and hire applicants for full-time and part-time employment.
- Promote high levels of work performance and employee morale.
Market and promote use of facilities and services:
- Develop and implement a marketing program designed to increase usage of the Woodlands and the Algonkian Park Rental Cottages.
- Work closely with local commerce and visitor associations to promote facilities.
- Respond to inquiries about the facilities and catering services; arrange for and provide tours.
- Make presentations to groups.
- Prepare and distribute written literature.
Assist with development and management of budget:
- Recommend operations, maintenance, and development items for budget; execute operating budget.
- Interpret and apply NOVA Parks’ policies and procedures to meet personnel, budget, property management, and general service needs of the facility.
- Monitor operating budget and revenue projections to ensure sound fiscal management.
- Authorize procurement of required items and/or services.
Assist with management of facility and grounds maintenance:
- Inspect facilities, equipment, and grounds for hazards and for adherence to NOVA Parks’ standards.
- Work with park maintenance staff to develop and implement a preventive maintenance program for the Woodlands and rental cottages.
- Identify maintenance problems and hazards, implement, or arrange for corrective action.
Coordinate and oversee events and operations:
- Respond to verbal and written inquiries for information about NOVA Parks’ rental facilities.
- Work closely with in-house catering staff as well as outside event staff.
- Plan and participate in wedding shows, open houses, and other facility marketing outreach.
- Provide information on various events.
- Reserve required space/facility and ensure readiness for event.
- Serve as liaison between rental clients and NOVA Parks; oversee events.
- Ensure timely and orderly cleaning of facility after use.
Administer system for rental facilities:
- Respond to inquiries for reservations for various facilities and book reservations.
- Actively develop new sales leads.
- Correspond with clients to confirm reservations, initiate prompt payment, and/or make special arrangements as requested or required; communicate those needs with management.
- Receive and/or process payments, issue receipts, prepare other documentation as needed.
- Generate standard reservation permits and contracts.
Perform various office/clerical functions:
- Operate personal computer to prepare correspondence and/or reports.
- Compile detailed activity reports to include bookings, cancellations, deposits, payments, sales projections, and leads.
- Order and maintain needed supplies.
- Prepare various statistical reports as requested.
Education: Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor’s degree in hospitality or parks and recreation or closely related field.
Physical: Non-manual work with strength and dexterity necessary to perform all required tasks, including lifting, stooping, bending, and working in tiring and uncomfortable positions. Will lift and move banquet tables and chairs; will climb ladders.
Experience: Three years of progressively responsible experience as special events coordinator, or any equivalent combination of education, training, or experience which provides:
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including most weekends and evenings.
- Ability to perform routine custodial duties such as cleaning restrooms, stocking supplies, sweeping floors, and helping with the preparation and clean-up of special events.
- Knowledge of principles, methods, and practices involved in event facility management.
- Knowledge of marketing principles and techniques with ability to develop and implement a promotional plan including reservation practices and procedures.
- Knowledge and experience in personnel management.
- Ability to develop comprehensive operating procedures and performance standards and to evaluate programs and employees against such standards.
- Ability to review and analyze expenditures and revenues in determining appropriate budgets.
- Considerable ability to identify and isolate problems and to initiate appropriate actions.
- Considerable ability to deal effectively with the public and special interest groups, and to provide a strong positive public relations program; w/considerable ability to interpret and explain NOVA Parks policies, rules, and procedures to employees and to the public.
- Considerable ability to communicate clearly and effectively with ability to prepare and present accurate reports.
- Working knowledge of personal computers and various software applications.
- Possession of or ability to obtain and maintain driver's license with safe driving record.
- Ability to obtain food service certification.
- Certification or ability to obtain certification in CPR and First Aid.
- Regular and predictable attendance is an essential function of the position.
Duties and responsibilities are designed to be the essential elements of the job. They do not preclude the performance of related, or even unrelated, jobs which may be necessary to properly and efficiently complete all work assignments. NOVA Parks reserves the right to amend job specifications to meet current needs.
Benefits: This position is a benefit eligible position. Benefits include medical and dental insurance, life insurance, long-term disability, retirement plan, and more.
Testing: The Facility and Event Sales Manager position is classified as a safety sensitive position. Candidates for full-time, safety sensitive positions must submit to a pre-employment drug screening and achieve a negative result as a condition of employment.
It is the policy of NOVA Parks to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, disability, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state, or local law in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-352-5900 for assistance.