Department of Parks and Recreation
Town of Christiansburg
Under the supervision of the Director of Parks and Recreation, the Events Coordinator is to assist the Director of Parks and Recreation in planning, organizing, coordinating, and directing special events and the operations of the department.
• Manages the Christiansburg Farmers’ Market, including recruitment; promotion; coordinating with vendors for setup, scheduling, events and payments; and managing distribution and accounting for SNAP/EBT payments and credit card payments through tokens
• Oversees the Christiansburg Farmers’ Market each market day. Prepares the market for vendors and customers before opening of the market and completes tear down of the market after closing time.
• Serves as primary point of contact for events
• Assists in planning, organizing, coordinating, and directing the operations of the Town’s special events and events that the Town co-sponsors or supports, including but not limited to: the Wilderness Trail Festival, Food Truck Rodeos, Wine and Artisan events, Movies in the Park, July 4th Celebrations, Christmas at the Market, Christmas Parade, Fire Prevention Parade, Homecoming Parade, Veterans Parade, Eight Mile Bridge Challenge, Huckleberry Hustle 5K, Touch a Trucks, Trunk or Treats, other organized runs/walks, events and parades
• Coordinates planning with event organizers (if not sponsored by the Town) and staff
• Responsible for set up and tear down of all town-sponsored and co-sponsored events, including the Farmers’ Market. Also responsible for coordinating set up and take down for non-town sponsored events. This includes coordination with many individual departments within the Town such as Parks and Recreation, Public Works, Police, Fire, Rescue, etc...
• Coordinates the promotion, marketing and advertising of market and special events; assists in promoting events on social media and providing updates on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram when needed
• Maintains master calendar of events
• Schedules entertainment, gathers supplies, applies for permits, etc.
• Assists in developing, planning, and implementing long and short term goals and objectives, policies and procedures, and event programming and activities, as well as event themes
• Coordinates downtown street light banner schedule, banners across W. Main Street, and other promotion banners
• Handles the special events application process and special events grant application process
• Serves as a liaison to downtown business owners in regards to events and promotion of downtown as a destination
• Serves as a liaison to the Montgomery Museum and Lewis Miller Regional Arts Center, Downtown Christiansburg, Inc., and other organizations in regards to events and promotion of downtown as a destination
• Assists with the promotion of culture and arts in town
• Attends and coordinates activities related to Farmers’ Market meetings, Central Business Committee meetings, Central Business Advisory Committee meetings
• Ensures appropriate staffing level for events; prepares staff schedule for events; trains volunteers, when applicable, in event setup and operations
• Assists clients/vendors in preparation, before, during, and after scheduled events
• Administers Severe Weather Policy during events and develops evacuation plan for each event.
• Ensure compliance of all rules and regulations determined necessary for safe event and/or market environment.
• Researches and applies for grants as appropriate
• Recommends changes in order to meet organizational needs; identifies new processes and alternatives to resolve problems or improve/enhance operations; organizes, prioritizes, and assigns work; assists with complex/problem situations, and provides technical expertise
• Verifies deposits and compliance with internal control requirements and maintains related documentation
• Maintains inventory of equipment and supplies; purchases supplies according to established budgetary parameters; ensures proper maintenance and storage of all equipment and supplies; maintains inventory records; maintains equipment warranty documentation; communicates with vendors regarding repairs covered under warranty
• Prepares and conducts post-event evaluations
• Responds to questions and concerns; provides information; improves customer relations
• Investigates complaints and takes corrective action as necessary to resolve complaints
• Assists in customer service
• Solicits sponsors
• Monitors expenditures against approved budget
• Prepares, types, proofreads, and/or completes various forms, reports, correspondence, annual reports, newsletters, advertisements, lists, directories, logs, notices, charts, graphs, spreadsheets, brochures or other documents; prepares and delivers presentations when needed
• Receives various forms, reports, drafts, progress reports, incident reports, policies, procedures, manuals, handbooks, directories, reference materials, or other documentation; reviews, completes, proofreads, processes, forwards or retains as appropriate
• Communicates with supervisor, Town employees, the public and outside businesses and agencies as needed to coordinate work activities, review status of work, exchange information, resolve problems, or give/receive advice/direction
• Operates personal computer, general office equipment, or other equipment as necessary to complete essential functions, to include the use of word processing, spreadsheet database, or other system software
• Performs other duties as required
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT
The Events Coordinator works between 40-55 hours a week depending on the number of activities and event occurring. The job carries a moderate amount of stress due to the responsibility of handling the concerns of employees, participants, and the general public. Tasks require the ability to exert very light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (5-10 pounds). Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or work station. Essential functions are regularly performed without exposure to adverse environmental conditions.
Work performance is reviewed utilizing the Town’s employee performance review program following first 6 month introductory period. During this introductory period, the employee must demonstrate a strong understanding of all that the job requires.
Before hire, the Events Coordinator must have:
Education and experience
• A Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university in Parks and Recreation, Planning, Marketing, Communications, Public Relations, or business or public management related field; supplemented by three (3) years of progressively responsible - experience in a related field; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job
Licenses and Certifications
• Must possess and maintain valid Virginia driver’s license with the ability to meet and maintain Town insurability requirements with a minimum of two (2) years driving experience
• Must possess and maintain FEMA Emergency Management Institute certifications
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Basic Knowledge of accounting, management and administration
• Knowledge of farmers’ markets and events coordination
Skills and Abilities
• Ability to work effectively with people
• Verbal and written communication skills
• Competence in public speaking
• Ability to effectively represent the Town of Christiansburg at governmental, civic, or local citizen meetings where framers’ market, event, and downtown topics are relevant
• Professional demeanor in handling complaints, concerns, or questions regarding events, programs and activities
• Computer skills including Microsoft Office software
• Ability to synthesize, hypothesize, and/or theorize concerning data involving modification of existing policies, strategies and/or methods to meet unique or unusual conditions; requires the ability to do so within the context of existing organizational theories and management principles
• Requires the ability to function in an unsupervised capacity for a major organizational function requiring significant internal and external interaction
• Ability to operate , maneuver, and/or control the actions of equipment, machinery, tools, and /or materials used in performing essential functions
• Ability to utilize consulting and advisory data and information as well as reference, descriptive, and/or design data and information as applicable
• Basic math skills with the ability to add/subtract/multiply/divide; the ability to calculate decimals and percentages; utilize principles of fractions; compute discount, interest ratios; calculate surface areas, volumes, weights, and measures
• Apply principles of logical and synthesis functions to deal with several concrete and abstract variable and to analyze major problems that require complex planning for interrelated activities that can span one or several work units
• Exercise judgment, decisiveness and creativity in situations involving broader aspects of organizational programs and operations, moderately unstable situations, or the direction, control and planning of an entire events or set of events
• Some tasks require the ability to perceive and discriminate sounds, odor, and visual cues or signals; some tasks require the ability to communicate orally
After hire, the Events Coordinator must have:
• Knowledge of Town policies
• Skill in addressing complaints and concerns from the public and/or employees
• Knowledge of all functions of the Farmers’ Market and events
• Establishment of effective relationships with event organizers, citizens, and other members of Town management and/or staff
• Must become certified operator of Stageline SL100 for stage setup and take down
The employee shall adhere to Town of Christiansburg policies regarding safety precautions and the use of safety equipment that is necessary for the health and safety of all employees and citizens. If a safety concern arises, the employee must stop any life-threatening problem immediately and in other cases immediately inform the employee’s supervisor.
The job description is:
• Intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job title. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills and behaviors required of employees in this job title.
• Not an employment agreement or contract. The Town of Christiansburg has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.
• Intended to describe the essential functions of the position that a qualified individual must be able to perform, either with or without reasonable accommodation.
The Town of Christiansburg is an Equal Opportunity Employer and E – Verify participant. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Town of Christiansburg will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
Note: Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time without notice.