Application Deadline: September 17, 2021 at 5pm EST.
Apply online only at: www.charlottesville.gov/jobs
The City of Charlottesville is seeking qualified candidates to be considered for the position of Director of Parks and Recreation who are highly motivated and who strive for success by demonstrating Charlottesville's Core Values of Leadership, Trust, Creativity, Respect, and Excellence. The Director of Parks and Recreation is appointed by the City Manager and serves as a senior member of the City Manager's leadership team. Under the direction of the City Manager, the Director of Parks and Recreation directs all activities, operations of the Department and is specifically responsible for developing programs, practices and facilities that are responsive to the needs of all segments of the community. The Director of Parks and Recreation will serve as a highly visible leader for the Department and is fully accountable to the City Manager, Mayor and City Council for the legal, efficient and effective management of day-to-day operations including all departmental functions, programs, budget, and activities.
The City of Charlottesville is underway with a paradigm shift in the way that it provides services to its diverse population. Recent retirements, natural attrition and newly created positions of several key leadership posts have positioned the City to be able to make a major organizational culture change in serving our community and meeting the contemporary needs of our governmental staff. The City of Charlottesville is currently recruiting innovative leaders to fill these positions in the City Manager form of government.
The hiring salary will be between $100,000 and $150,000 annually, dependent on education and experience. The City offers an excellent benefits program, including the option for participation in a Defined Benefits or Defined Contribution Retirement Plan. Reasonable relocation assistance will be available. To be considered, an application must be filled out online at www.charlottesville.org/jobs prior to the closing date of September 17, 2021 at 5pm EST. Please include with your online application a cover letter, resume, salary history, and at least 5 professional references.
Education and Experience Qualifications:
- Minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Parks/Recreation, Public Administration, Program Management or related fields.
- At least eight to ten years senior executive management experience in either an urbanized setting or large suburban environment where high-quality parks and recreation services to diverse populations are common factors.
- Service in communities comparable in size, budget and staff responsibilities or larger than the City of Charlottesville's department operations is desirable.
- Strong experience in developing social, recreational and special population program delivery systems is needed.
- Prior experience in managed competition, continuous quality improvement methods, enterprise fund development, and managing in constrained/restrictive budgetary settings.
- A CPRM certification would be highly desired.
TO APPLY: to view the complete job information, to apply, and to view a downloadable brochure about our Community, City Government, and the position, visit our employment website listed. Applications are only accepted online through the City of Charlottesville employment page and must be submitted prior to the listed closing date and time.
The City of Charlottesville is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Values Diversity at All Levels of its Workforce.