After 42 years of dedicated service to the City, we wished the position’s predecessor all the best with her retirement. After much thought and consideration, we are excited to recruit for the newly created Deputy Director position! The successful candidate will have a proven track record of visionary leadership and exceptional skills in the areas of communication, leadership, long-range planning, and budgeting. Come join us as we reimagine the services we provide to exceed community expectations in an inclusive, innovative and sustainable manner.
Virginia Beach Parks & Recreation (P&R) is dedicated to promoting healthy lifestyles and protecting our environment. We ensure all residents – regardless of their physical, social, and economic circumstances – can access our programs. As a department, we strive to enhance the quality of life for our community by improving the physical and mental well-being of our residents.
- Relentless in exceeding the needs of our residents and developing your staff?
- Motivated and driven?
- Going to take ownership of the time you spend with us and truly make a difference?
- Superior in critical thinking capabilities and make well thought out decisions?
- A problem solver who does not get easily frustrated? Always up for a challenge, no matter how difficult, you find a creative solution?
- Detail oriented?
- Known for spearheading collaboration efforts with other departments and community partners to deliver out-of-the-box services and programs?
- A poised and concise communicator? Can you write well and speak eloquently to diverse audiences?
THEN WE WANT YOU TO JOIN OUR TEAM!
- Reporting to the Director, the Deputy Director oversees two divisions of the department including Recreation Center operations and all associated programming as well as Park Operations and Landscape Management. The position is directly responsible for 450 FT employees and 800 part time employees
- Guide opportunities that have a maximum impact on the quality of life enjoyed by all citizens, by planning, promoting, and developing services and programs
- Continue the Department’s reputation for excellence with visionary direction and leadership, while directing the operations of an integrated and diverse citywide municipal system of parks and recreation facilities, programs, and services
- Provide advice and feedback to the Department Director, City Manager and Deputy City Manager concerning Parks and Recreation programs and policy innovations, changes, and enhancements
- Create effective links and relationships with the media, community groups, volunteer organizations, school boards and administration, other City departments and various constituencies to achieve results and ensure alignment
Like what you see? Keep reading!
•Certified Park and Recreation Professional (CPRP) or Executive by the National Recreation & Park Association
•Master’s degree in Parks & Recreation, Public Administration or related field
•10+ years of mid to senior level management experience in a department with similarly diverse facilities, functions and programming, ideally serving populations over 150,000 or more
•10+ years of demonstrated experience in budget development and management including personnel, maintenance and operations, and capital improvements
•10+ years of demonstrated experience as a change agent charged with driving strategic initiatives
•Proven ability to facilitate/manage small and large group presentations and meetings
•Proven ability to foster and maintain effective relationships with employees at all levels of the organization, including City officials, as well as with the media, local businesses, state and federal agencies and the public
Love Where You Live. Live Where You Work. Virginia Beach
Virginia Beach is situated in southeastern Virginia where the Atlantic Ocean meets the Chesapeake Bay. The city encompasses 310 square miles with 38 miles of shoreline. It is the most populous city in Virginia; the city population is approximately 450,980 and continues to grow. Its crime rates are among the lowest in the nation for a city of its size, and its schools rank among the highest in the state. Virginia Beach is a major resort city with a diverse economy focusing on tourism, agriculture, business and industries, retail and wholesale trade, and the military. The City’s natural and cultural amenities offer a high quality of life for its residents and visitors.
P&R manages 293 city park sites, more than 7,000 acres of parks and natural areas, seven community recreation centers, and the Princess Anne Athletic Complex. Each of the recreation centers center’s amenities includes cutting-edge fitness equipment, an indoor pool, a double gymnasium, as well as youth/adult programs areas. We offer year-round recreational opportunities that include aquatic, fitness and outdoor programs, therapeutic recreation programs, inclusion services, senior programs, community events, and youth and adult sports leagues.
Parks & Recreation is the largest childcare provider in the city, operating before and after school programs, early- childhood programs, and day camps when school is out of session. P&R also provides landscape management and maintenance for municipal buildings, public schools, park sites, and designated roadways. High-profile park sites include Mount Trashmore, Little Island, Red Wing, Bayville Farms, and Munden Point.
Other attractions include a fishing pier; three dog parks; three skate parks; public tennis courts; athletic fields; pickleball and racquetball courts; disc golf courses; various canoe/kayak launches; and a 50-slip marina on the Lynnhaven Inlet.
• A generous compensation and benefits package
• 10 Paid Holidays plus 3 additional Personal Holidays
• Paid Time Off
• Virginia Retirement System (VRS) with Cash Match
• Deferred Compensation Plans
• Wellness Programs
• Employee Assistance Program
• Paid Short-Term Disability
• Maternity/Paternity/Parental Care Leave
The Employee Experience: Find out what our employees think about working for P&R…
“I love my job and coming to work every day. It’s truly satisfying and rewarding to be making a difference in people’s lives and serving the public in so many ways! Staff in P&R are top notch and make the job so much more fun and enjoyable. “ ~Shirley Deibler, Programming & Operations
“Parks & Recreation is a great place to work! It is a very friendly environment where everyone feels appreciated. We live up to the slogan, ‘Experience the Fun’!” ~Kim Versic, Park and Landscape Services
“Working in sports management allows me to live out my passion for sports while getting paid. From athletic venue contract management to programming leagues for locals and attracting visitors from around the country to participate in tournaments, every day is a new, exciting adventure.” ~Jane Jagodzinski, Programming & Operations
“Working at Virginia Beach Parks & Recreation, I have amazing co-workers, a great work-life balance, and the chance to connect with residents and provide access to things that enrich their lives!” ~Julie Braley, Business Systems
“Joining the P&R Team has been unequivocally a truly remarkable experience. I don’t feel as if I’m defined by my role/title but rather the impact I can make—to my team and our community; my voice carries weight and is appreciated, valued, and respected." ~Tam Nguyen, Programming & Operations
“Our guests trust P&R as a place where they want to spend their leisure time and have fun. Very few jobs allow you to directly impact the quality of a person’s life in such positive ways. From learning to swim, before and after school childcare programs, fitness, athletics, dog parks, special events, beaches, waterways and parks, we provide something for everyone. Knowing that I had a part in making someone’s life better goes way beyond ‘just doing a job’.” ~Kevin Bennington, Park & Landscape Services
“Working for Parks & Recreation allows me to contribute to my community while working in a fun, exciting environment. Providing a fun, safe place for our citizens to play and stay healthy is a passion and there is no better place to experience it than Virginia Beach Recreation Centers.” ~CJ Gajan, Programming and Operations
Qualified applicants should apply through the City's careers page by no later than November 1, 2020 - https://chp.tbe.taleo.net/chp02/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=VBGOV&cws=37&rid=32563
The City of Virginia Beach is an Equal Opportunity Employer.