Application Deadline: January 27, 2021 at 5pm EST.
Apply online at: www.charlottesville.gov/jobs
This Maintenance Specialist I is responsible for the maintenance, construction, or horticultural duties in city athletics fields and facilities, using tools and operating equipment in connection with the tasks to which assigned; Provides efficient maintenance of athletics fields which may include any one or more of the following tasks: Mowing and turf maintenance, dragging and lining athletic fields, and various construction projects at athletic fields, parks and facilities, etc. Performs other duties as assigned. May have supervisory duties. Reports to the Athletics Operations Specialist.
The hiring amount will be between $15.09 and $18.12 an hour. Starting offer is based on applicable education, experience, and internal equity. This is a full-time, non-exempt, position. The position also provides excellent benefits including 13 paid holidays, paid vacation and sick leave, health insurance options with employer contribution, employer-paid life insurance, City's retirement options, and continuing education/training opportunities.
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to high school or vocational school diploma or GED. (If no diploma or GED is obtained, must have a minimum of 2 years of direct work experience in the field.);
- At least six months of experience in a related field;
- Possession of a valid, appropriate driver's permit issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia. Must be eligible to operate a City vehicle. (To view our driving eligibility requirements, visit https://www.charlottesville.gov/faq.aspx?qid=166);
Position may require the ability to obtain a Pesticide Applicator certification.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships;
- Ability to follow basic written and verbal instructions;
- Ability to perform demanding physical work for continued periods;
- Ability to work outside with regular exposure to severe weather;
- General knowledge of the maintenance, repair and manual tasks of the area assigned;
- General knowledge of the safe use and operation and preventive maintenance of mechanical equipment required in the work;
- General knowledge of the use of common hand and specialized power tools required in the work;
- Skills in the use of equipment to which assigned.
TO APPLY: to view the complete job information and to apply, visit our employment website listed. Applications are only accepted online through our employment page and must be submitted prior to the listed closing date and time.
The City of Charlottesville is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Values Diversity at All Levels of its Workforce.