Performs advanced work planning, organizing and directing community and aquatic facilities, programs and staff, and related work as apparent or assigned. Work is performed under the general direction of the Director of Parks and Recreation. Divisional supervision is exercised over Recreation Assistants, Program Instructors and aquatics center staff.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Manages Community Center and aquatics facilities; evaluates full time staff for community and aquatic centers.
- Attends development review meetings as Parks and Recreation Representative.
- Plans, supervises, promotes and reviews Community Center programs; hires and supervises program staff; secures game officials.
- Coordinates room and gym assignments; works closely with other supervisors on programs and room assignments.
- Maintains buildings, vehicles and rooms for safety, function and appearance; serves as a direct liaison to the Public Works department for facility maintenance; recommends facility improvements.
- Recruits and hires Recreation Assistants; assigns, directs, trains and inspects the work of staff; disciplines, coaches, counsels and evaluates performance of personnel; develops staff schedules.
- Responds to inquiries on programs, events, and activities both in person and by phone.
- Demonstrates exceptional customer service skills at times, setting the appropriate example for staff.
- Purchases equipment and supplies; maintains inventory.
- Assists with budget preparations; maintains records for staff, facility and equipment; prepares reports, records and schedules.
- Prepares seasonal recreational brochures.
- Plans, implements or assists with special events.
- Registers citizens for programs, facility rentals and passes; maintains recreation and scheduling software.
- Interacts with groups, organizations and individuals in the community to promote the mission of the Town.
- Maintains knowledge of core areas through attendance at workshops and association meetings; plans for future expansion of new recreational facilities; serves as internship coordinator for the Department.
- Assists the Director of Parks and Recreation as needed.
- Continual improvement of Parks and Recreation department.
- Knowledge, Skills, and AbilitiesThorough knowledge of the operation of a major recreation community facility; thorough knowledge of youth, aquatic and community programs and related rules and regulations; thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of facility planning, programming and operations; ability to maintain order in a public facility; ability to plan, supervise and evaluate the work of others; ability to keep abreast of trends in the field of recreation; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with participants, associates and the general public.
Considerable experience in the daily operations and programming of recreational facilities, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
2-5 years’ experience of running a community center facility.
2-5 years’ experience of running an aquatic facility.