Code of Ethics
The National Recreation and Park Association and the Virginia Recreation and Park Society has
provided leadership to the nation and the Commonwealth in fostering the expansion of recreation and
parks. NRPA and VRPS has stressed the value of recreation, both active and passive, for the individual
growth and development. Its members are dedicated to the common cause of assuring that people of all
ages and abilities have the opportunity to find the most satisfying use of their leisure time and enjoy an
improved quality of life.
The association has consistently affirmed the importance of well-informed and professionally trained
personnel to continually improve the administration of recreation and park programs. Members of
NPRA and VRPS are encouraged to support the efforts of the association/society and profession by
supporting state affiliate and national activities and participating in continuing education opportunities,
certification, and accreditation.
Membership in NRPA and VRPS carries with it special responsibilities to the public at large, and to the
specific communities and agencies in which recreation and park services are offered. As a member of
the National Recreation and Park Association and/or the Virginia Recreation and Park Society, I accept
and agree to abide by this Code of Ethics and pledge myself to:
- Adhere to the highest standards of integrity and honesty in all public and personal activities to
inspire public confidence and trust.
- Strive for personal and professional excellence and encourage the professional development of
associates and students.
- Strive for the highest standards of professional competence, fairness, impartiality, efficiency,
effectiveness, and fiscal responsibility.
- Avoid any interest or activity which is in conflict with the performance of job responsibilities.
- Promote the public interest and avoid personal gain or profit from the performance of job duties
- Support equal employment opportunities.